Lanyard using Paracord with Diamond Knots and whipping thread

Nice work on that!

I was asked why I would put a lanyard on a folder, well for me I find it easier to locate the knife and draw it from the pocket, also I can slip the end of the lanyard under my belt for a little more security while carrying it, and while I've only done it a couple of times, during use I can close the blade, let the knife hang from my wrist while I tend to something and then take it back up and continue cutting as I need to, so for those examples I find it very handy.

G2

Photobucket has killed several images in this thread, sorry for that, I'll try to retrieve and store in my flicker account and up date this thread.

I also added this link in the first post to another tutorial braiding a leather fob that may be of some interest for those not wanting to use paracord.

G2

Thank you for the info., Gary. Here's my first attempt - my Rams Horn CK Lionsteel Otnat.
The bottom knot is a little disappointing but good enough for now. Getting the para-cord around the post is a real bugger!
0106191040aA.jpg

Good work and yep, that is a little difficult to get it around the pin, the 'trick' if there is one, I slide the outer sleeve back about 1 1/2" and cut off the inside threads, then slice the empty sleeve at a 45 degree, lightly burn it so it doesn't shred up and now you have a thinner section to work around and under the pin, use some tweezers if you need to grab the one end and then you can pull it through.

Also juse the whipping knot to tidy things up by the end of the knife. Working the knots tighter, the close one to the knife is set, slide the bead down tight against it, then tie the upper knot and keep working the knot down close to the bead using needle nose pliers, tight until the bead doesn't turn.

I changed out the bead on mine this morning, as I got these new beads that are pretty cool, also have a custom key chain for sale in the sales area;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
The new bead looks great! Nice key chain. I'll have to take a look in the sales area.
I have always like the Runes also, just never got around to getting some from you - YET.
Thanks for the advice.
OG

Gary, that's a really nice looking keychain and knife lanyard. Nicely photographed!

I've been rather paracord obsessed recently. Tying knots like crazy and making zipper pulls, keychains, shoelaces (really), etc. So seeing your really nice work was neat. It inspired me to try the whipping knot method. I like it.

I just tied my first keychain with whipping at the ring end and a diamond knot at the far end. It's not nearly as attractive as yours, but I'm putting it on my car keys to see how it holds up for a while.

Seeing your beautiful cross and shield "bead" sent me on a quest to find other cool looking beads. I found quite a bit on Etsy, though the ornate ones tend to be rather expensive at $20 to $25 each. Hopefully I'll find some more reasonably priced stuff that I like.

Thanks for posting!

Brian.

You're welcome Brian, it's a very handy key chain, everyone where I work pretty much has one ;) and they love it, I'd not be without it myself.

And the beads can be a bit costly, that shield one I just got was around $14 plus shipping so it isn't cheap but it's very well done.

G2

Last edited:
Mr Graley,
Thanks for all the time & effort you take to share your
knowledge among us knife knuts!
It speaks volumes about your good character!
You are a BFs Good Samaritan!!

Randy, but they call me Sixx...

Thanks
It’s 550 paracord

I get my paracord here
G2

Last edited:
Just checking this thread and saw that my 'Old' images from photobucket are not even viewable now, that still stings from how they changed and left a lot of people hanging out to dry :(
and of course, not so easy to get those images out of there.
G2

Thanks sorry for the bad audio gotta work on that!
G2

I've been finishing the ends of my paracord a little different now, basically passing the lighter back and forth, wrapping around the sides and rotating the cord 90 degrees so it makes it a more even melt. You end up with a nice smooth end of the cord, of course it depends on the brand of paracord as to how well it will take to this method.

here's the end of one of my recent lanyards, I stagger the cords at the end of the lanyard, just looks nicer to my eyes ;)

and a video taken showing how just heating up the end and then the 'new' way that I am doing the ends, phone focusing was frustrating but you get the idea.

G2

Also I have an updated video of doing the whipping knot, key part of doing that is once you have wrapped the thread around far enough, you pull one side of the loop which tightens up the start of the wrap so it's very snug and then slip the end of the wrap thread through the loop and pull it down under the wrap.
Snip off the end and then carefully pull the cut off end so it is completely under the wrap, don't pull too hard or you will pull it all the way out, just enough to get it hidden below the wrap.

G2

Back