Lanyards on a Becker? Yay or nay?

This is my very first post, so hello to everyone.

Just acquired a BK2 and a BK7 and really really like both of them. The BK7 was actually a mistake. I ordered two BK2's, but the seller sent me a BK2 and a BK7. Initially I was slightly peeved, but upon handling the BK7 I viewed as a blessing in disguise. It was on my radar to get eventually anyway, and I like it so much I've decided to keep it.

At any rate, these are my first two Beckers and they're awesome! Already upgraded both of them to the micarta scales which I like a lot better.

I've seen many ways to attach a paracord lanyard and I've been experimenting with different knot styles, but I'm kinda questioning the need in the end.

Other than a means to carry a little extra paracord, is their any true advantage to having a lanyard attached other than fear of losing your knife? I'm leaning more towards no lanyard on both of them at the moment for a variety of reasons. Like to hear everybody's input. Thanks in advance.

This is my very first post, so hello to everyone.

Just acquired a BK2 and a BK7 and really really like both of them. The BK7 was actually a mistake. I ordered two BK2's, but the seller sent me a BK2 and a BK7. Initially I was slightly peeved, but upon handling the BK7 I viewed as a blessing in disguise. It was on my radar to get eventually anyway, and I like it so much I've decided to keep it.

At any rate, these are my first two Beckers and they're awesome! Already upgraded both of them to the micarta scales which I like a lot better.

I've seen many ways to attach a paracord lanyard and I've been experimenting with different knot styles, but I'm kinda questioning the need in the end.

Other than a means to carry a little extra paracord, is their any true advantage to having a lanyard attached other than fear of losing your knife? I'm leaning more towards no lanyard on both of them at the moment for a variety of reasons. Like to hear everybody's input. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Magnus, and welcome to the Becker forum.

Others will certainly weigh in on the lanyard question but, for me, a lanyard sometimes helps in chopping.

it definitely keeps the knife from flying out of your hand when chopping with sweaty hands,i had an ontario rak slip out of my sweaty hand while chopping and almost kill my dog.

Yea I say (hey hey hey).

IMG00657-20100910-2029.jpg

I use a slip knot (hangman's actually) on my BK-2 for when I want to grip by the back swell for chopping. That can be cinched up when not in use to help keep it from grabbing bushes, etc.

I always use a lanyard if it's a knife I chop with. You'll be able to swing harder with more confidence.

I vote yay. Especially on the BK2. I slid my hand down and grab the "ball" on the end, wrap an lanyand and do some sharpening. I do not however, ever transport a knife while in the sheath with a lanyard. I have found 3 knives here in the Smokies, hanging from branches on trails by their lanyards. Owner no where to be found. Congrats on the awesome knives, post pics, and Welcome to the forums. Moose

Only in two instances, when it's a scandi that's hard to pull out of a deep sheath, or for a chopper for added safety/security. I don't have one on my BK7 though, it seemed to get in the way more than it helped.

Here's how I use one on a big knife:
[youtube]r9fuulR8Qto[/youtube]

Only in two instances, when it's a scandi that's hard to pull out of a deep sheath, or for a chopper for added safety/security. I don't have one on my BK7 though, it seemed to get in the way more than it helped.

Here's how I use one on a big knife:
[youtube]r9fuulR8Qto[/youtube]

Good tips there, thanks for the vid. :thumbup:

Here's an other way to temporarily attach a lanyard to a knife. It's quick, it's easy and it works. Best of both worlds... :D Unfortunately the accompanying text is not in English, but I think the pictures speak for themselves.
http://kesportal.hu/2009/07/14/csuklozsinor-varians/#more-913

I actually have a way of attaching a lanyard somewhat similar to this for easy on easy off use. I don't go for the braiding or fancy knotting, I like something simple and secure.

Initially I didn't care for a lanyard, but after some experimenting over the weekend I'm now a lanyard convert for sure. A little paracord and we're all set. :D

I used to have a lanyard on my BK9 until it slipped out of my hand and jerked back towards my face. It didnt get me but from now on I would rather have it fly away than back at my head.

I have to agree with Jac on this one. I don't like lanyards looped around my wrist because I figure a knife flying away from me is better than a knife on the end of a flail that's out of my control. However, I do find that rather than a looped lanyard, a small tied off/knotted piece of cord allows a little more 'grab space' when choking back to chop, especially on a smaller knife. On occasion I like the aesthetics of certain lanyards, but I mostly go without.

Kyle.

Last edited:
I can't imagine my beastie without a leash, hangman's knot tightens around my wrist and has about 5 inches slack. stone bead keeps the knot from closing in on it's self to the point where is hard to loosen

33a3pdz.jpg

and i was lucky enough to get a 2nd gen in a 1st gen sheath

Last edited:
i like the bush dangler slipknot...

you slip a lanyard through the knife, possibly twice, and then put a friction bead over both tails, and then each tail gets a figure 8 knot... that way you can slide the bead all the way down, get a typical lanyard... when sheathed, and in the bush, slide it all the way up towards the hande, and the loose ends in theory won't tangle on brush.

Bladite

I have a lanyard on almost every fixed blade I own. This includes all my BK's, Brute, CU, CB and Necker.

Back