Lara's Birthday hike

Murphnuge

Well, this was Lara's (GF's oldest daughter) 10th birthday and our 2nd annual birthday hike. Her birthday was actually Wednesday the 20th, but she agreed, with my vacation days already being assigned this year, to allow for Saturday as a suitable day to hike. We went to one of our favorite hiking areas for day hikes, Yellowwood SRA. It's located not to far from my home in Southern Indiana. We have been all over the this area hiking, but for some reason never been on the "Lake Hike". The lake is a 133 acre area and the hike itself is roughly 4.5 miles. An easy afternoon stroll. However, due to this years storms and it being early in the hiking season, the trail was no very well kept. Luckily, I have an M-18!

I'll warn you now, Lara too 99% of the pix. So, not only will they be in focus, but also in lots of artsy angles.

We started at the spillway at the foot of the lake.

DSCN0863_zps6c2e0b68.jpg

DSCN0867_zps710e3126.jpg

Of course we followed this rule! Not really, but it made me laugh.

DSCN0868_zps1e137aa0.jpg

We followed the wave looking blazes.

DSCN0870_zpseca0f28c.jpg

Our first obstruction.

DSCN0872_zpsd91280fa.jpg

DSCN0871_zps697138b7.jpg

DSCN0873_zps5ee6b6dc.jpg

DSCN0874_zpseece3cd9.jpg

We both agreed, the DNR would appreciate a fort here one day.

DSCN0878_zps1ab7de57.jpg

About an hour in , she decided lunch was overdue. Apparently she can't run on coffee and beer like some of us. She chose this spot.

DSCN0880_zps3bd072aa.jpg

Not really sure if these are stumps from older cleared trees or what, but Lara thought they looked like wee tombstones.

DSCN0882_zps4ff82913.jpg

DSCN0885_zpsc1ba6105.jpg

She sniped me.

DSCN0883_zpse5f95104.jpg

So, I agreed to stop for a photoshoot.

DSCN0886_zpsc46760df.jpg

DSCN0888_zps61d8fcf6.jpg

DSCN0889_zpse8f3a995.jpg

Daylight's burning, let's roll!

DSCN0890_zpsf97d6927.jpg

She pretended to pose as a Tecumseh trail( 38 mi, I think.) hiker. Notice her exhausted expression.

DSCN0891_zps9e69e7c1.jpg

Gotta make Tradewater proud.

DSCN0892_zps1aef1018.jpg

End part 1.

Part 2.

Looking back on our lunch spot.

DSCN0894_zpsf1e67d47.jpg

DSCN0896_zps78ae8430.jpg

Believe it or not, she actually had to remind me that we had for gotten to take glamour shots of the knives we brought along. I'm pretty proud of her!

Her mom's hornet she was allowed to carry.

DSCN0899_zps64bd9259.jpg

No intro needed.

DSCN0900_zps94c3734b.jpg

DSCN0902_zps77519cdb.jpg

Add in my Hornet.

DSCN0902_zps77519cdb.jpg

Then my BK14.

DSCN0906_zpsa375dd59.jpg

DSCN0907_zpsf1716355.jpg

Didn't have time to clear it all.

DSCN0915_zps5bf2927d.jpg

DSCN0917_zps9239efa8.jpg

Beaver damage.

DSCN0920_zps885df0f2.jpg

DSCN0924_zpsfd844e4d.jpg

Another on of these weird things.

DSCN0927_zps1befeeac.jpg

Poor kid, she had to look at me sometimes. I try to keep her in front usually, but when she gets to snapping pix she lags behind.

DSCN0933_zps1eb6d557.jpg

Cool rock divot she found.

DSCN0942_zps090f4414.jpg

DSCN0943_zpscfd3e15c.jpg

Walking the dam back to the parking lot.

DSCN0954_zpsbbfc5899.jpg

GPS summary.

DSCN0967_zps502aff0a.jpg

I think it only ended up getting down to 35 degrees that day. She and I both had plenty of fun.

Looks like y'all had a great time. Good to see the younger generation enjoying nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked like an awesome hike! What is the name of the large fix blade you were carrying? Looks fantastic.

Looked like an awesome hike! What is the name of the large fix blade you were carrying? Looks fantastic.

It was, thank you! The large fixed blade is the M-18. One of Todd's workhorse's. Click on the link in my sig to check it out on the site or view the actual M-18 thread in the T.M. Hunt subforum.

Looks like y'all had a great time. Good to see the younger generation enjoying nature.

Sorry Doc, accidentally edited your post.

We did indeed have a great time. She loves it, I'd have had Hell to pay if I'd have cancelled that hike.

Looks like a blast Murph. I really need to get out.

Cool post, looks like you guys had a blast for her birthday. The little stumps look like cypress knees to me, but I didn't know they were that far north.

Cool post, looks like you guys had a blast for her birthday. The little stumps look like cypress knees to me, but I didn't know they were that far north.

Thank you, sir! I think you're right Mist, I even remember Todd saying something about that. Damn, I should listen to him more often.

Yeah Mist, those are cypress knees, and they are this far north. Actually Indiana plays host to a lot of things that poeple dont think are here, such as the western diamondback rattlesnake AND if you believe in this sort of thing, one of Indianas supossedly doucumented bigfoot sightings was at the very place where Murph was at in these pics. :rolleyes: That same spot is one of my wifes and I favorite hiking spots as well and a great place to kayak/fish. Cool pics Murph, glad you guys had fun, I love seeing this kind of stuff on my sub forum, and Im sure Lara will cherish those memories for a long time. Did you end up taking Gary the next day?

Yeah Mist, those are cypress knees, and they are this far north. Actually Indiana plays host to a lot of things that poeple dont think are here, such as the western diamondback rattlesnake AND if you believe in this sort of thing, one of Indianas supossedly doucumented bigfoot sightings was at the very place where Murph was at in these pics. :rolleyes: That same spot is one of my wifes and favorite hiking spots as well and a great place to kayak/fish. Cool pics Murph, glad you guys had fun, I love seeing this kind of stuff on my sub forum, and Im sure Lara will cherish those memories for a long time. Did you end up taking Gary the next day?

Sadly, no. He had a youth group meeting later that afternoon. Between church and that, there wasn't enough time to get back out there. That's why I put it here, we need more of this stuff here!

Back