Large Boy Scout Axe - safety question

I don't really know much about hatchets and axes, just the simple stuff that you pick up at scouts. A couple of years ago I bought a tormek, and it came with a Gransfors Hatchet. It is pretty nice. Anyway, I am in the scout office, and they have their current Large Boy Scout on sale for $20. Total impulse purchase, but I got one. The only thing marked on it, is that it is 2 1/2 LB, plus the BSA logo.

To me the handle doesn't look too large. It is about 25" long. When I hold it head down, the head is about mid-calf. To me, that seems like I need to be real careful not to put it into my leg by accident. I know with the hatchets, we are always having the boys kneel if they are splitting firewood, so if they miss it goes into the chopping block or the ground.

Are there rules of thumb for axe sizes? Do you use different methods with different size axes? Are there threads that talk about axe methods and safety?

Thanks,
Brett

A pretty nice-looking leather sheath to be included with a $20 axe.
I wonder where it's made.

Axe and Sheath-Large
Item: 611549
"Built tough with steel axe head and wood handle. Measures 27½" long overall. Includes leather sheath that protects axe blade."

You might glean some safety rules from this thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1016183-Axe-rules-you-routinely-break

Last edited:
To me the handle doesn't look too large. It is about 25" long. When I hold it head down, the head is about mid-calf.

It might just be me being dense, but this seem to imply that you are some sort of giant? If not then I would not suggest you kneel while using it. If you bend your knees you should be good.

Im sure you will get some excellent advice later but in the mean time these are my safety rules: I try to remember to "sit down" on the chop, and when I start to miss my mark excessively I take a break.

I you can buy a decent quality axe for $20.00, that would be a surprise. It is most likely made by "CHINA" with a mystery wood handle. The last time I looked, they had CHINA axes cheap and Council axes for BIG bucks. They told me no one was buying the US axes due to the price.

Are there rules of thumb for axe sizes? Do you use different methods with different size axes? Are there threads that talk about axe methods and safety?

You are wise to be concerned. One rule when limbing is to bend down at the knees and swing so that the axe handle never goes beyond parallel with the ground. Once you let it start swinging in towards yourself your looking at trouble.

A couple of good resources are:

An Ax to Grind
The safety stuff starts on page 39.

and

Handtools for Trail Work - Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNHWH6ipic

You are wise to be concerned. One rule when limbing is to bend down at the knees and swing so that the axe handle never goes beyond parallel with the ground. Once you let it start swinging in towards yourself your looking at trouble.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Limbing a typical downed log, I start with the handle 45 degrees beyond perpendicular to the ground (head up) and (hopefully) end with the handle just past perpendicular (head down) - just dropping the axe head on the underside of the limb being removed.

If the handle is swung parallel to the ground, the ace is being swung in a plane that you occupy.

I am sure I am not understanding correctly.

You are wise to be concerned.

Is this because of the length of the axe, or would you say that regardless of size?

I am 6'2, the axe I use the most is 25" and when bucking I have never felt unsafe. When limbing and doing various odd jobs I find it more difficult to follow hard rules but would this change with a longer axe?

Boy Scout handbook/manual from 1960. Cub Scout manual/handbook from 1955

Complete section on safety how use & sharpen.

Tom

I watched. Every swing he took while limbing violated his rule. He came close to following his rule - by bending his knees, only when bucking.

I watched. Every swing he took while limbing violated his rule. He came close to following his rule - by bending his knees, only when bucking.

I saw one big problem with his technique: He moves his feet when he chops. You shouldnt do that, its dangerous.

I don't really know much about hatchets and axes, just the simple stuff that you pick up at scouts. A couple of years ago I bought a tormek, and it came with a Gransfors Hatchet. It is pretty nice. Anyway, I am in the scout office, and they have their current Large Boy Scout on sale for $20. Total impulse purchase, but I got one. The only thing marked on it, is that it is 2 1/2 LB, plus the BSA logo.

To me the handle doesn't look too large. It is about 25" long. When I hold it head down, the head is about mid-calf. To me, that seems like I need to be real careful not to put it into my leg by accident. I know with the hatchets, we are always having the boys kneel if they are splitting firewood, so if they miss it goes into the chopping block or the ground.

Thanks,
Brett

Rule #1 - use common sense.

Rule #2 - never break rule #1

I went camping this weekend, so I haven't looked through everything. Thanks for the references. I'll look throught them later tonight.

Brett

It might just be me being dense, but this seem to imply that you are some sort of giant? If not then I would not suggest you kneel while using it. If you bend your knees you should be good.

Im sure you will get some excellent advice later but in the mean time these are my safety rules: I try to remember to "sit down" on the chop, and when I start to miss my mark excessively I take a break.

Not a giant in height - I stand around 6 feet tall, could use some help with my giant girth, though. I do have long arms. I've really only used hatchets, so I just thought that this could be dangerous when I was walking with it.

Brett

Because the momentum would carry the axe across the front of his body. In other words, the axe would follow through to where his body is not occupying. When you turn that plane 90 degrees, and the axe is carrying it's momentum directly towards your shins and tootsies, you "want" the axe to hit the ground before thine own tootsies. By keeping the handle in an approximate parallel plane with the ground, the axe head hits the ground instead. It doesn't have to be perfect, since the sharp part is towards the very end of the handle, and thats what you don't want to get mixed up with.

Back