Large Chopper Advice / finished, photos added

Warning, wall of text. I'm feeling loquacious

I think there is some misunderstanding on what is meant by the term "Delta 3V".

Delta 3V is a low temp tweak for the heat treat of 3V, but a low temp tweak to 3V is not necessarily Delta 3V. All halibut is fish, but not all fish is halibut.

The process is not patented (it is a trade secret) and the term is not trademarked so there is nothing stopping someone from saying their steel is "Delta 3V", but unless it actually is Delta 3V, calling it such is a little disingenuous.

Running a low temp tweak on 3V without addressing the RA issue correctly doesn't necessarily work better (or even as well) as the industry standard HT, but when optimized really is a much better heat treat. I mention this because folks need to be aware there is the material condition going into HT including any thermal cycles, the times and temps (duh), quench rate, and timing of cryo, and tempers, it's not just a particular austenitizing temp and tempering temp. I think most people know this, but sometimes I see where people don't get it.

My work with 3V is based on work I did on D2 ten years ago. At the core, it attempts to address shortcomings with edge stability by avoiding the secondary hardening hump and addressing retained austenite issues. At the end of the project there is little bit more to it than that, but that is it in a nut shell.

There is not a huge difference between Delta 3V and the un-named low temper tweak we were using that immediately preceded it. They're related processes, the primary functional difference being improved edge durability with the Delta version. This difference shows up in side by side testing in rough use but I think most folks would like the immediate predecessor just fine, it was no slouch. Something similar to that predecessor is available to everybody at Peter's and it is a good HT.

A few years ago we (Dan, Guy and I) noticed an issue with the low temperature tweak with some lots of 3V. The problem boiled down to the material condition, but while investigating it we decided to fully investigate the effects of several variables on edge stability, their effect on each other, and to confirm or verify some assumptions we'd had coming into it. The end result was fine tuning several specific variables and we found that the process both worked better and was more consistent when we added a couple steps. There are a few areas where we've changed the way a few steps are done that required some changes at Peter's in order to duplicate them.

I was always open about the tweaks I was doing on D2 and 3V, but when it came time to really do the exhaustive work of fully optimizing the HT on 3V it was a time consuming and expensive collaboration with Dan, Guy and myself. I enjoy discussing these things and sharing what I've learned with this group, but at this point I am unable to discuss details because it is a propriety process shared among the three collaborators.

Folks need to keep in mind the development of tweaked 3V has been on-going for years. We finally did the formalized R&D to put-to-bed the fully optimized tweak and named it, but the previous tweaks were good tweaks. It was named Delta 3V because it was a change (Delta) to the previous process, the end result was different enough to justify noting the revision.

Two things that I would like to be clear about are: I'm not saying that only Delta 3V is a good HT, a person doing their own heat treat could very well have a very good HT. I would be surprised if a small maker has committed the time and resources to fully optimize a proprietary HT process but I'm not saying it's impossible. Even short of that, I'm sure plenty of folks have very good 3V. The house HT at Peter's is very good. But I'm also saying that unless someone is running our protocol, it isn't Delta 3V. It might be very good, I'm not arguing that, but it isn't the same thing. And I expect that most likely a person could measure a meaningful difference in controlled side-by-side testing.

If a person really does their homework and is prepared to demonstrate it to folks they should name their own process. If it is demonstrably different it deserves to be differentiated. But a person had better do their homework. This is one of those areas where, to the uninitiated it might not seem like a big deal, but I promise you that actually optimizing a complex industrial process for a particular outcome is not trivial or easy. Just setting up to make meaningful comparisons (not just some dude cutting stuff and saying "it cuts good") requires a lot of time and hard work.

Last edited:
Thank you for the post Nate.
I currently use Peters "delta process/low temper " i undertand it is not the proprietary version that you and dan use, i imagine it it the low temp predecessor. So far i have used that low temp version from peters twice and was very imprrssed with corrosion resistance and edge holding/stability.
Last time i asked for it brad wrote; " the delta process is proprietary." So i knew he was using the "almost delta verson". Which is absolutely great for what i and my customers need.
Thanks for the post, super informative!

Op - nice job on the chopper. Out of curiosity on 'convex' chatter, I captured your chopper cross section pic and calc ~V angles for edge & grind. Convex edge angle probably be around 25 dps. This geometry is stout/strong by more steel volume. Also will support much higher lateral load along edge bevel because wider cross section. Directly translate to cutting materials (e.g. cross grain dried woods) higher resistance to edge penetration - i.e. more rebounce.

Capture.JPG

Nathan - :thumbsup: on your openness and humble on ht contribution+accomplishments. Also concurred, HT R&D is an expensive process (likely be low ROI as well ;)). Functional Range(FR) is area below capability threshold (aka breaking point). Target intended usage is within FR which warrant N stdev/σ above upper operating boundary. Using excessively thick edge is analogous to a car with tractor tires. Your edc & chopper edge (+ hardness) are very well balanced for high utility w/o overly conservative. While my/BCMW working edge is probably around 3σ below break point.

ShannonSteelLab - Glad PetersHT employs good ht recipe for 3v (and many other steels as well). Obviously you are happy with their/delta 3v HT. Delta or Zeta is just a label (version name). e.g. my current ht version labels as a boring 2.5, maybe I should future proof by squat Zeta now :D When break point is way beyond normal usage and 99.99% users don't ever cross this line, then steel type is very low in importance and relevancy.

The other 0.01% users probably are more experienced and efficiency-discerned, which probably tune geometry as work-efficient as possible (maybe less than 2σ). In spite of effort and $, these users might only able to tune what available rather the whole range of possibility. 3V chopper for example, maybe well tuned for Peters/CPK's ht up to 61rc, while delegated (to anecdotal) to accept higher hrc as out of bound - which could leave a lot potential on the table because you don't know your tuned-edge might function perfectly in this high range. Back to car analogy - it's a fuel/util efficiency thing.

Last edited:
Op - nice job on the chopper. Out of curiosity on 'convex' chatter, I captured your chopper cross section pic and calc ~V angles for edge & grind. Convex edge angle probably be around 25 dps. This geometry is stout/strong by more steel volume. Also will support much higher lateral load along edge bevel because wider cross section. Directly translate to cutting materials (e.g. cross grain dried woods) higher resistance to edge penetration - i.e. more rebounce. Per video in video above - 2x4 took 28 chops vs most competition-class chopper takes around 12-15 chops.

bluntcut, Thanks. I'm certainly interested in how this will perform.
The cross section you captured is sort of a projection from the curved section at the tip (see the other photos), but it is possible that you got a good estimate of the angle. When I get it back I'll try to measure it and also do some chopping...

The cross section you captured is sort of a projection from the curved section at the tip (see the other photos), but it is possible that you got a good estimate of the angle. When I get it back I'll try to measure it and also do some chopping...
Don't forget the video!

bluntcut, that video was a testing video right after I made the knife. There was more thinning and refinement of the grind and edge to make it cut much better.
Scott

Please measure, I think - you are right, there is possibility of camera perspective-projection made cross section fat & short.

Don't forget the video!
If Richard doesn't mind, my video on chop 2x4 while counting days for my new stiches to heal.

Unlisted video (I might remove later since it's too impromptu). *note - last few minutes of video are just blah about work efficiency.

All sharpened around 15dps finished at 2K waterstone

Niolox 64rc 1/4" thick 6.5" blade, 13.5 oz, 0.020" BET: 33 chops
Niolox 64rc 1/4" thick 6.5" blade, 13.1 oz, 0.015" BET: 26 chops
W2 65rc 0.330" thick 7.5" blade, 20.8 oz, 0.015" BET: 20 chops

bluntcut, that video was a testing video right after I made the knife. There was more thinning and refinement of the grind and edge to make it cut much better.
Scott
Thanks for clarified that *hence I will edit my previous post to remove assessment on maker's initial edge before tuning.

Thanks bluntcut. The 2X4's I use for testing are Douglas Fir which are typically much harder then 2X4's used in competition. This helps me with grind edge refinement. I'm still working on my technique cutting 2X4's. Dan Keffeler is the board chopping guru and he is an excellent instructor when it comes to chopping 2X4's.
Scott

I test using DF 2x4 as well. Those DF with lot of dark bands are almost as hard as oak.

Dan Keffeler is in super sub-10 hits pine2x4 league :)

Thanks bluntcut. The 2X4's I use for testing are Douglas Fir which are typically much harder then 2X4's used in competition. This helps me with grind edge refinement. I'm still working on my technique cutting 2X4's. Dan Keffeler is the board chopping guru and he is an excellent instructor when it comes to chopping 2X4's.
Scott

Thanks for posting the video.
I'll certainly do some tests.
In addition to considering the grind and steel parameters, my blade is also 13" which significantly exceeds the competition length.

Chop dried 2x4 DF - same setup as in video above.

W2 65rc Jest Bolo 0.325" thick, 10" blade, 16" OAL, 15 dps, 0.016" BET
1st: 10 chops
2nd: 10 chops
3rd: 8 chops

Repeat W2 65rc chomper in video
1st: 15 chops
2nd: 14 chops
3rd: 17 chops (ran on fume)

Stall mat rubber meets Paul Long leather?!

I'll be away for the next couple weeks, but am looking forward to chopping 2x4s in style.

GAojIcp.jpg

Reactions: v8r
I got back from travel and found time to test the chopper.
It takes an edge pretty easily. I spent about 5 minutes with a large DMT diamond sharpener (I usually spend 5 times that on small blades)

It feels great in the hand and I quickly cut all the branches in the yard that I had in mind when I made it.

My kids took a video of me chopping a 2x4 and water bottle.
I had never chopped a 2x4 before and the video is of my 3rd crack at it.
My first try took more than 20 chops, then 14, and then 11 in the video.
The blade is 13" and the total weight is around 26 ounces.

Yes, there is clearly a learning curve. I added the second clamp after two tries during which it was really moving around.
I have to say chopping stuff is quite fun. For some reason, for the longest time choppers never really caught my interest. Definitely glad I made it.

Scott
Is it allowed in competition more curved blade ? Something like Condor Duku Mini Parang ? It would greatly improve cutting/chopping capability ?

Last edited:
Another thread shows one by Big Chris: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladesports-competition-knife-at-work.1519823/

If anything it is less curved than mine (and I assume it meets the 10" limit).

I'm not sure what the rules allow, but for whatever reason, most that I have seen look a lot like the ones by Scott or Chris (very little curve).

Hopefully someone with experience can comment on the chopping capability...

Back