Recommendation? Large Fixed Blade Knife Suggestion

Hi guys,

Hope everybody's doing well! I am looking for a large fixed blade knife primarily for hiking, backpacking, camping, and other outdoor activities. Here is what I am looking for, blade length around 8-10 inches, full tang, stainless steel, no serrations, synthetic handle materials, preferably custom made, and price is up to $500. My top choice is Dark Timber Knives Cave Bear in Nitro-V, however those knives are very hard to get. I was wondering what do you guys recommend, any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

Hi guys,

Hope everybody's doing well! I am looking for a large fixed blade knife primarily for hiking, backpacking, camping, and other outdoor activities. Here is what I am looking for, blade length around 8-10 inches, full tang, stainless steel, no serrations, synthetic handle materials, preferably custom made, and price is up to $500. My top choice is Dark Timber Knives Cave Bear in Nitro-V, however those knives are very hard to get. I was wondering what do you guys recommend, any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

Not technically full tang, but can get a CS San Mai Trail Master for quite a bit under your budget.

you sure you want a blade length of 8-10"? Or overall 10”?
That's sounds like an awful big blade for a backpacking/hiking knife.

Would highly recommend a Spyderco Custom Collaboration Zoomer for general all purpose backpacking/hiking/outdoor. 10” overall with 5” blade. Full tang. Rounded/sculpted G10 handle; S20V blade; great carry sheath. Under $500

if you really want an 8-10” blade - I apologize for an improper suggestion

View attachment 1489266

you sure you want a blade length of 8-10"? Or overall 10”?
That's sounds like an awful big blade for a backpacking/camping knife.

Would highly recommend a Spyderco Custom Collaboration Zoomer for general all purpose backpacking/hiking/outdoor. 10” overall with 5” blade. Full tang. Rounded/sculpted G10 handle; S20V blade; great carry sheath. Under $500

if you really want an 8-10” blade - I apologize for an improper suggestion

View attachment 1489266
Thank you very much for your suggestion! I already have Bradford Guardian 5.5 and looking for something larger.

Most knives in that size range will be in non-stainless steel, as most non-stainless are tougher and better suited for chopping. Nitro-V and AEB-L, as well as something like Sandvik 14C28N, would be three stainless steels more suitable for a larger fixed blade. It seems to me your best option would be to contact some of the makers here on the forums and get a custom made. Your price range is custom territory, and that way you could get both a design and a steel that fit your preferences.

yeah, with that kind of budget, you have dozens of makers from our forums that would jump at the chance... dictate which steel you want ; )

for stainless & toughness... aeb-l might be the best non pm steel choice.... but I would be tempted to get some fancy vanax steel : )

You can search over thru the maker's for sale area. Always some good stuff there or just contact one of them. I'd recommend Phillip Patton. He just made a knife for me n was easy to work with and good communication. Check out his Instagram and website. Here's mine! Good luck n enjoy the process I did!!122920-1.JPG

You can search over thru the maker's for sale area. Always some good stuff there or just contact one of them. I'd recommend Phillip Patton. He just made a knife for me n was easy to work with and good communication. Check out his Instagram and website. Here's mine! Good luck n enjoy the process I did!!View attachment 1489318
Thank for your suggestion!!! That’s one beautiful knife, and that Damascus pattern is really something!!!

I'm not the biggest fan of stainless steel for big blades, like many here.

If custom handmade is your preferred route, check with Jim Behring. Very nice work, priced quite reasonably for the quality. Just tell him what you're looking for.

If you're simply looking for an indestructible handmade knife, Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works has many blades in your size range and well within your budget. Again, not stainless. But Parkerized 5160 is some really tough stuff, and doesn't rust easily.

If stainless is a requirement, CPK has some really well built knives with very practical designs.

I'm not sure what backpacking has to do with anything. It may not sound or feel or look as cool, but taking down grass-like brush is a job for something like a machete, and getting hardwood out of the way like cutting shooting lanes for hunting is a tool for ratcheting pruning shears.
I like a large-ish blade vertical (tip up) with MOLLE or at least lots of belt options on my right backpack strap for instant use, I like the Gerber fixed blade (I have the predecessor to the Strongarm, I forget the name but I think LMF II or something like that) in 420HC. The sheath has a sharpening rod and it never comes loose yet easily draws. I can and do have lots of more expensive options, but I can't think of a single time I wished it was a different steel...and I have a good sharpener so it's not about being easy to sharpen.
Few people outside these forums have any idea how much knives cost, so it's not like it's about flexing either.
It was given to me by a friend now deceased and not something I'd buy myself since it's partially serrated and black coated and doesn't have "super steel", but I'm sure glad he gave it to me. No qualms about beating it up and it hasn't let me down yet.

If you want something beautiful and enjoy chasing the latest and best I'm right there with you, but practically speaking it's just as good as my knives that cost 10X as much.

I don't think you can do a fancy leather sheath in the same configuration and access it as easily. I just looked it up and they are now going for $175 which is like 3X the MSRP. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the Gerber Strongarm and spend the other $400 on more knives : )

Back