Large Kuhkuris

I have a question for you Khuk experts out there.

Do people in Nepal actually use some of the massive khuks I see advertised by HI, or is that something they make just for us over-the-top Americans?

I ask because I just bought my first Khuk, a modest sized 16" Chitlangi weighing in at 16 ounces :thumbup:, but now have my eye on a 20" 38 ouncer. Is this over the top? :D

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob, welcome!,

The larger khukuri you are describing are used. They are used for beheading sacrificial cattle during the festival season. During these sacrifices the animals head must be taken in a single clean stroke to avoid bringing bad luck and Kharma to the community.
They are not very practical for everyday useage or carry and you probably would not want to go hiking with one that large.
OTOH, the large khukuri will be formidable wood choppers, but will take great care to wield in such a manner.

I am constantly amazed at your to the point, honest, and precise answers to questions Karda :thumbup:.
Rob check out the below video on how to use large blades. It might help you in the search for your next big blade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO6M_vAJJAo
Hope this is useful but Karda nailed it in reference to your question.

I am constantly amazed at your to the point, honest, and precise answers to questions Karda :thumbup:.
Rob check out the below video on how to use large blades. It might help you in the search for your next big blade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO6M_vAJJAo
Hope this is useful but Karda nailed it in reference to your question.
Thanks for the link SC.Very interesting info,presented with humor...And I agree-Karda is a great guy and deserves our respect and gratitude.

Yep, Karda rocks:)

And yes, the big ol' choppers are fun:) Like Karda said, just be extra careful with them. Khuks don't know the difference between a 4" log and your shin...but you sure will;)

You are welcome arbiter. I am always glad to help the Sangheili species ;).

Last edited:
Some of the military/combat khukuri of the pre-WWI era were pretty long and well into the 30+ ounce range, especially the Kora-hilted models. I'm over 6ft. and can't imagine swinging such a beast in battle. I also can't imagine lugging an M1 garand around a Pacific island. So, the conclusion is I'm a wuss:D But back to the OP's question, there are some large Nepali made and used khuks out there, but these true battle khukuri seem the rare and very old exception. Take care.

Back