Large Sebenza/Insingo FULL BACK SPACERS...

I’m in for a lanyard hole... and one without. I like my lanyards to be honest.

Looks great! Might I suggest lowering the position of the lanyard hole closer to where existing lanyard hole is in relation to the knife. When its that high up, the lanyard can interfere with gripping. This is one of my gripes with the lanyard position on the Inkosi.

Design wise there isn't a whole lot you can do to accommodate a lanyard hole in a lower position and still maintain an aesthetically pleasing appearance...

Maybe one of the two swings I took at it will work...

HCvNdb4.jpg

F6DCDF03-72F9-4813-8F9F-4F8415856E0A.jpeg I feel like this one looks better but I get what you mean about the lanyard getting in the way when up higher. It takes some adjustment for sure.

The development of the Large 21 back spacer is finished. The G-code machining files are proofed and I've locked them down.

I machined three 1X1 checkerboard LVA carbon fiber spacers... and just completed the kerfing operation for the blade edge clearance slot.

I'm pleased to say the spacer fits perfectly...!

Although I had several loan offers from Forum members... Jason (FordFan on the Forum) was the first to respond to my request. Thank you Jason... I appreciate the time you have given me with your Insingo! Your knife as seen below... will be on it's way back to Kansas on Monday...!

e9zvOl0.jpg

lsScmkB.jpg

pcd4dxw.jpg

Wk0LNWV.jpg

cafEPXq.jpg

xSbFnm2.jpg

lex137 posted this in the Exchange on the sales thread... I thought it important to post this here too!

"My mxg pin hit the blade on my sebenza insingo blade, was not happy!"

I've previously had this discussion with regards to the back spacer I machine for the Small Sebenza/Insingo/Tanto.

CRK CNC water jets their blade blanks... every one starts life identical. Each blade is also CNC honed and CNC hollow ground... and as good as they are at that... one would have an expectation that each blade will be identical. Even with my limited experience with CRK knives... I have personally encountered fliers where the blade profile differs from the 99.9 percentile. Each of these fliers edge profiles has been slightly larger and a blade strike issue occurred.

That's a puzzler and a huge frustration when you use a single example of a knife to develop a new product... in my case the development of this back spacer.

Is the blade that I'm using to create the required CAD and machining files one of the 99.9 percentile OR is it a flier...? I absolutely try to do the best job I am capable of and I'm certain MXG Gear strives for that too. No vendor wants to produce a product that might garner a bad reputation. That is capital suicide.

Not making excuses for lex137's experience with the MXG Gear lanyard pin... just attempting to educate as to a possible cause.

As MXG Gear is the single source for these pins and my reliance on their pin for my back spacer installation... I hope to acquire a lathe and machine my own design of pin that will address the potential strike issue.

With my back spacer there is no need for the center of the pin to have the diameter where a strike might occur. I've sketched a few examples of pins that solve the issue...

ASlvdqW.jpg

zcHxKhS.jpg

Last edited:
As Steve mentioned, I loaned him my Insingo to complete the back spacer design. Well I received the knife back today and WOW! The back spacer is terrific. Fits perfectly and looks great. I would add some picture but those that Steve added above are far better than I could take. If y'all are interested in a back spacer, go for it. He does great work. Only negative is the knife looks so good now I feel like I need to clamp it in the Wicked Edge to touch up the edge before using it.

Looks good. Any plans on doing other patterns besides the gear pattern? Possibly smooth or lighter jimping like the Slysz bowie?

I'd even be interested in a smooth solid Ti backspacer maybe with light jimping towards the butt end of the knife... and the rest slightly crowned like the blade spine.

Looks good. Any plans on doing other patterns besides the gear pattern? Possibly smooth or lighter jimping like the Slysz bowie?

I'd even be interested in a smooth solid Ti backspacer maybe with light jimping towards the butt end of the knife... and the rest slightly crowned like the blade spine.

Alas... my spindle on my CNC is high speed... incapable of being slowed sufficiently to machine metals.

As far as other patterns in CF... that's certainly possible...

Alas... my spindle on my CNC is high speed... incapable of being slowed sufficiently to machine metals.

As far as other patterns in CF... that's certainly possible...
With CRK designs being minimalist I can picture more basic streamlined backspacers suiting the 21 platform really well.

Excllent work.

Have there been any new runs of full length backspacers? I have a large and small drop point 21s in need.

Have there been any new runs of full length backspacers? I have a large and small drop point 21s in need.

I do have one small 21 CF full length back spacer available.

With regards to the Large 21... the machining file for the large back spacer has been created and proofed for the use of the MXG Gear stepped lanyard pin... however I have since changed from the MXG Gear stepped lanyard pin at $12 to the CRK stepped lanyard pin at $5.00 which necessitated a code modification due to the barrel's center diameter difference between the two pins.

This NEW modified code has not as yet been run to produce a back spacer. I currently do not have a Large 21 on hand for insuring proper fit. When I am able to acquire one and proof the new code... I will make several runs of both the cogged and a new smooth back spacer in carbon fiber, G10, and although I do not like machining Micarta... I'll possibly produce some black Micarta spacers as well.

All other questions notwithstanding ... We’re going to need backspacers for the new Sebenza 31--both large and small. Sorry to be a PITA &/or impatient, but this is a fact.

The NEW 31 models will require full scan and CAD workups IF the critical landmarks and profiles have been changed. I don't see my being able to fit the time for doing that into my current production schedule. The difficulty is substituting the 30 to 40 hours of effort for development of a NEW product which has zero billable hours for the billable time of machining customer requests already on the whiteboard and in the queue. One man band here...

.....The NEW 31 models will require full scan and CAD workups IF the critical landmarks and profiles have been changed. I don't see my being able to fit the time for doing that into my current production schedule. The difficulty is substituting the 30 to 40 hours of effort for development of a NEW product which has zero billable hours for the billable time of machining customer requests already on the whiteboard and in the queue. One man band here...
I understand and appreciate the time requirements, difficulty and complexity of the task. My post was probably more an expression of wishful thinking than anything else. I look forward to it happening when it happens, which I know is a matter of something in the distant future.

Will be interesting to see the handle area with the new lanyard cutout (31). I'd like to see it without a lanyard in there to really get a visual. Might make the backspacer look better.... or worse.

I thought the dimensions of the handle and blade were identical to the 21? Might not be though.

I thought the dimensions of the handle and blade were identical to the 21? Might not be though.

I'm totally clueless as to this new 31... so my comment about the possibility of non-identical landmarks and profile is totally based on that ignorance.

If all is identical... then development time will not be as protracted...

I'm totally clueless as to this new 31... so my comment about the possibility of non-identical landmarks and profile is totally based on that ignorance.

Yah that wasn't really directed at you or anything. More of an open ended statement to keep the dialog going. And I'm only going off the very few things I've heard from the crk camp. It will be interesting to see if they used the exact same handle dimensions just a couple chamfer changes and no locating hole.

If anyone wants to send me their small 31 I can confirm, no problem. No larges here currently.

I do have one small 21 CF full length back spacer available.

With regards to the Large 21... the machining file for the large back spacer has been created and proofed for the use of the MXG Gear stepped lanyard pin... however I have since changed from the MXG Gear stepped lanyard pin at $12 to the CRK stepped lanyard pin at $5.00 which necessitated a code modification due to the barrel's center diameter difference between the two pins.

This NEW modified code has not as yet been run to produce a back spacer. I currently do not have a Large 21 on hand for insuring proper fit. When I am able to acquire one and proof the new code... I will make several runs of both the cogged and a new smooth back spacer in carbon fiber, G10, and although I do not like machining Micarta... I'll possibly produce some black Micarta spacers as well.

The NEW 31 models will require full scan and CAD workups IF the critical landmarks and profiles have been changed. I don't see my being able to fit the time for doing that into my current production schedule. The difficulty is substituting the 30 to 40 hours of effort for development of a NEW product which has zero billable hours for the billable time of machining customer requests already on the whiteboard and in the queue. One man band here...
You can have my 22

You can use one of my large 21’s to adjust for the CRK lanyard pin

Back