Recommendation? Large Sebenza or Inkosi?

Allow me to apologize upfront if this question has been asked many times already but, I'm struggling with a buying-decision and only you current CRK owners can help.

I've been knife shopping for the past couple of months online and in the local shops for a higher-end folder and have settled on a CRK. The choice has come down to either a Large Sebenza or Inkosi and before you say, "Get both!" (I probably will at some point) which one did you choose as your first and why?

Thanks in advance!

I first chose the Inkosi. Larger pivot that you dial in to your own personal setting, ceramic ball detent, dbl. lugs & finger grooves got me. Sold the first one cuz more knives are better :rolleyes: & then bought a second that will not be sold...ever. Had a 25, liked it but it funded the Inkosi. Looking for a 21 now just to compare in hand. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Still can't decide? Get either one that's less $ now.

I'd chose the Large Inkosi first because it's the best (in my opinion) knife they've built to date. It ticks all the boxes and then some. The 21 is a very fine model, and if I was being honest think the inlays are better than on the Inkosi but the Inkosi (especially with inlays) is the most reached for knife in my EDC rotation.

Just curious, why did the Zaan get ruled out?

Also, after you've picked one out, you still need to decide on blade design & if the frame will be PJ or not.

TOO MANY CHOICES!!! :eek:

This is how I did it.

Regular, 21 , 21 , 25, 21, Inkosi, 21, CF 21.

There is no answer. Watch alot of you tube videos . After you own both for a while it helps.

How I did it.

'Zaan Tanto, Small Micarta Inkosi Insingo, Large wood inlay drop point basket weave Damascus 21

I love all 3. The Small Inkosi is my EDC because of its size and it is built like a brick poop-house. The Umnumzaan is by far my easiest flicker, but I removed the clip because the clip made it the least comfortable... but now is super comfortable. I do love the wood inlays on the 21. The Damascus blade was just for fun but is just as functional as any other bit on any CRK. But I still struggle with the less refined technology vs. the Umnumzaan and Inkosi.

Just curious, why did the Zaan get ruled out?

Also, after you've picked one out, you still need to decide on blade design & if the frame will be PJ or not.

TOO MANY CHOICES!!! :eek:

I couldn't locate a Zaan to fondle but, I did get to handle both the Inkosi and Sebenza. If we're anything alike, I'd be willing to bet I'll end up getting one of those too.

I'm very tempted to go the extra $ for Damascus but will probably get the standard blade over the Insingo for the first one. It's classic and classy at the same time.

I couldn't locate a Zaan to fondle but, I did get to handle both the Inkosi and Sebenza. If we're anything alike, I'd be willing to bet I'll end up getting one of those too.

I'm very tempted to go the extra $ for Damascus but will probably get the standard blade over the Insingo for the first one. It's classic and classy at the same time.
Great decision. The standard blade is a must. But you need an Insingo blade too.

This thing is a classic.
XETsKplh.jpg

Last edited:
Sebenza 21 for the first CRK, as much as I love the Inkosi/25, the iconic CRK is the 21.
That’s it, can’t think of another real reason.

Both are great, but very different knives

I like the Sebenza for :
- it is a better slicer with thinner blade and a great hollow grind
- I don’t mind about adjusting the knife after disassembly
- it needs only one tool for maintenance

I like the Inkosi for:
- No need to wait the knife to break-in
- it has a lock interface
- you can easily remove the lanyard

However at the end of the day I prefer the Sebenza
I mainly use my knife for light edc and I don’t need the extra power of the larger blade of the Inkosi
That is personal but the neutral ergo of the Sebenza fits me better than the grooves handle of the Inkosi

If you can handle both you will notice the action of them are different and I prefer the feeling with the Sebenza

I have 2 large Sebenza and 1 large KA Inkosi and I will sell my Inkosi

But again, that is personal and for the small versions I prefer the Inkosi over the Sebenza

That being said, I think that if I would use my knives for outdoor activity I will prefer the large Inkosi over the large Sebenza.
The blade is clearly more adapted to that

I wasn't crazy about the finger grooves on the Inkosi, either, but it wouldn't stop me from eventually buying one. The blade is beautiful but, I think my mind is made up on the Sebenza 21 for my first CRK.

Again, I appreciate the input. I've looked at and handled so many knives during the last 6-8 weeks it isn't funny but the simple and understated awesomeness of the Sebenza stood head and shoulders above everything else I touched.

Same for me.
The only thing sad to that is that my Sebenzas have spoiled my other knives ... I still carry some Spyderco for specific beating tasks but that is it.

I wasn't crazy about the finger grooves on the Inkosi, either, but it wouldn't stop me from eventually buying one. The blade is beautiful but, I think my mind is made up on the Sebenza 21 for my first CRK.

Again, I appreciate the input. I've looked at and handled so many knives during the last 6-8 weeks it isn't funny but the simple and understated awesomeness of the Sebenza stood head and shoulders above everything else I touched.
Basically the 21 Large changed the way I look at other brands of folders. Its simplicity in design and engineering tolenrances that appeals to me. I also have the Umnumzaan which I purchase 1st, but the 21 getting the majority of edc time. I have tried an inkosi in the hands but I felt the finger grove limits where we place the fingers on the handle. So for me the 21 is 'just nice' in my hands.

Congrats on getting your first CRK.

Back