Large slab of micarta

Status
Not open for further replies.

chainring

Gold Member
946D7C16-27E3-4902-B0F2-5003C2F4D112.jpeg F2B36AFB-976D-4937-8A5D-388ED243414C.jpeg I have an old slab of micarta that is 17w by 36.5L by 1 inch thick in size. I’m not sure whether to cut it into blocks and sell it or just turn it into a coffee table! I don’t have the cutting ability to make scales, so it would be one inch thick blocks, at best. On the other hand, it would be an awesome side table..

Any advice on whether it is worth slicing up, what size pieces and a slightly cheaper than fair price for it would be appreciated.

Well you could easily get 3 rows of 5" long blocks the 17" direction end to end. So probably 18 per row if they're just under 2" wide.

54 blocks that are 5x1.875x1? I'd pay at least $25/ea for a few.

Or perhaps I could convince you that you'd like to trade the whole thing for a piece of Canadian Twine art? :D

Or just give it to me. In my opinion, those 1" thick blocks would be great for hidden tangs. :thumbsup:
I think that John gave you some good advice... though I'd like to see a few blocks larger than 5x2.
Good stuff.
Erin

Absolutely no reason you couldn't do bigger blocks as well. 5x2 is as small as I would go fwiw.

Or just give it to me. In my opinion, those 1" thick blocks would be great for hidden tangs. :thumbsup:
I think that John gave you some good advice... though I'd like to see a few blocks larger than 5x2.
Good stuff.
Erin

What size would be best for your purposes?

I'd say it depends on how tough the stuff is. Some of the industrial grade micarta like that was/is used as wear plates on things like steel rolling mills, and it's incredibly tough stuff that just eats up belts and blades, and in my opinion, isn't much worth dealing with for knife use. Not that it can't be used, by any means, but if it's the really tough micarta, you'll probably burn through a number of table saw blades trying to rip it down.

Fellows. you all know the rules about buying/selling in Shop Talk.
Thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back