1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Largest traditional knife that disappears in your pocket?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by NativeCraft, Aug 26, 2016.

1. SubSpace

SubSpace

May 26, 2011
    The GEC 38, in any of its iterations, is highly pocketable though it is almost a 4 inch knife.

2. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Case Sod Buster .

3. KBA

KBA Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2014
    In dress slacks I hate having my knife lay perpendicular to my leg. I also am not a fan of having a stuffed pocket to keep that from happening. Oddly, I dont like things in my pockets, including my wallet, keys, gun, etc and tend to unload asap. I still carry a 3 3/4 or over knife, and while I cant say it has ever disappeared, Ive gotten used to it.

Jeans I could care less. With larger knives I place it in right back pocket next to my wallet.

Shorts tend to be the same way

4. GasMan1

GasMan1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2015
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I agree with pinnah the Opinel with flattened sides works great and is light as well. I have actually flattened it out even more since this pic was taken.

5. Macchina

Macchina Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    For me it tends to be a single spring GEC 77. It's both as long and heavy as I can go before I notice it. The double spring 77 becomes thick enough that I can feel it in there chinos I wear to work.

[​IMG]

In jeans I can do a Fremont Jack or other 79 single spring without noticing.

[​IMG]

I do notice that in dress pants: keeping the knife upright is really important because once the knife goes sideways I can feel even a small knife like a Northwoods Norfolk. I sometimes carry knives in chinos in this leather keeper that stays in the pocket but keeps the knife upright:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cory Hess

Cory Hess

Jul 1, 2014
    That's a great looking 77 you got there, Macchina. :thumbup:

7. Macchina

Macchina Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Probably looks familiar ;) I've carried it for many days since I got it but it was once yours! One of my favorites hand down!

[​IMG]

8. Duvel

Duvel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2016
    With its split-back spring, the 98 Texas Whittler rides surprisingly well in jeans. I stand it up in my front pocket next to my cell phone.
    [​IMG]

9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The Queen #06L teardrop linerlock is 3⅞" closed, but the spear blade lies so low in the blade well that they carry beautifully, while still giving plenty of cutting power.

[​IMG]

10. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    In the LFP of a pair of jeans most any pocketknife up to 4"; some I carry are the Buck 301, Schrade 8OT, Case 6380 and 6347. In dress slacks I prefer a Case Mini-Copperhead or a similar, flat penknife. OH

11. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I'm with others. Depends on the pants, then the thickness of the knife (# of layers). The last pair of tailored slacks I bought, I had them sew an elongated coin pocket in both front pockets. I can carry a #42 single clip in each pocket if I wanted and it would not "print". Chino kakis, I can get the 25 barlow, a queen pen, or at 57 whittler in, but nothing wider or longer, jeans, anything goes.

12. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    The single blade GEC 73 can seem small in the pocket.

13. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Case Large Copperlock for me. Fairly large knife but very thin.

14. jakemex

jakemex

Oct 19, 2011
    I have carried a Case Slimline trapper in all kinds of pants for 42 years. Never felt out of place, too big, etc; it definitely disappears in the pocket.

15. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've found that longer knives actually carry more comfortably for me because they don't end up sideways in the bottom of the pocket. The largest was a Queen Mountain Man. I carry in my front pocket with my phone and wallet. The knife goes along the rear seam of the pocket and the other things keep it in the upright position. It surprised me that a large knife would carry so well, but the single blade made it fairly thin. I also didn't have to dig around in my pocket to find it because it was long enough to be easy to grab.

That said, the above would definitely not apply to the few times when I wear dress pants. Weight is more a factor than size in that situation, though. I think it really depends on the type of clothing worn and what else is carried in the same pocket as the knife.

16. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    When wearing Wrangler jeans, which is 95% of the time, I carry a Smith & Sons Mudbug(4 1/2" closed, 5/16" in width) with a paracord lanyard in my right front pocket.

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Did you make that leather keeper, and how tight is it ?
    I just decided to make myself one and it's incredibly tight ( I'm sure it'll break in, unless I have to wet form it ) I like the idea and wanted to try it out on my new Sabre mfk since its fairly beefy.

18. zakjak221

zakjak221 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2010
    4" Schrade Muskrat for me,US mfg.
    Doesn't move around a lot,great blade.

19. rwc53

rwc53

Dec 21, 2009
    My Northfield #54 "Moose" with re-worked burnt stag covers fits in my pocket perfectly. For a 4 1/8" pocket knife, it almost disappears in my right front pocket.

Ron

20. kenspen

kenspen Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2010
    At 4 1/4", the TK Cubans ride very nicely. The Northwoods Presidential with the flat bolsters really sits well in the pocket.

[​IMG]