Largest traditional knife that disappears in your pocket?

The GEC 38, in any of its iterations, is highly pocketable though it is almost a 4 inch knife.

In dress slacks I hate having my knife lay perpendicular to my leg. I also am not a fan of having a stuffed pocket to keep that from happening. Oddly, I dont like things in my pockets, including my wallet, keys, gun, etc and tend to unload asap. I still carry a 3 3/4 or over knife, and while I cant say it has ever disappeared, Ive gotten used to it.

Jeans I could care less. With larger knives I place it in right back pocket next to my wallet.

Shorts tend to be the same way

DSC_0572_zps1ibil8rs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I agree with pinnah the Opinel with flattened sides works great and is light as well. I have actually flattened it out even more since this pic was taken.

For me it tends to be a single spring GEC 77. It's both as long and heavy as I can go before I notice it. The double spring 77 becomes thick enough that I can feel it in there chinos I wear to work.

In jeans I can do a Fremont Jack or other 79 single spring without noticing.

I do notice that in dress pants: keeping the knife upright is really important because once the knife goes sideways I can feel even a small knife like a Northwoods Norfolk. I sometimes carry knives in chinos in this leather keeper that stays in the pocket but keeps the knife upright:

With its split-back spring, the 98 Texas Whittler rides surprisingly well in jeans. I stand it up in my front pocket next to my cell phone.
33278B42-56A0-47A4-8C2B-3FB7E9B1AB79_zpsakmtnzie.jpg

The Queen #06L teardrop linerlock is 3⅞" closed, but the spear blade lies so low in the blade well that they carry beautifully, while still giving plenty of cutting power.

WB06Lclosed_zpsnuwsbm2o.jpg~original

In the LFP of a pair of jeans most any pocketknife up to 4"; some I carry are the Buck 301, Schrade 8OT, Case 6380 and 6347. In dress slacks I prefer a Case Mini-Copperhead or a similar, flat penknife. OH

I'm with others. Depends on the pants, then the thickness of the knife (# of layers). The last pair of tailored slacks I bought, I had them sew an elongated coin pocket in both front pockets. I can carry a #42 single clip in each pocket if I wanted and it would not "print". Chino kakis, I can get the 25 barlow, a queen pen, or at 57 whittler in, but nothing wider or longer, jeans, anything goes.

Case Large Copperlock for me. Fairly large knife but very thin.

I have carried a Case Slimline trapper in all kinds of pants for 42 years. Never felt out of place, too big, etc; it definitely disappears in the pocket.

I've found that longer knives actually carry more comfortably for me because they don't end up sideways in the bottom of the pocket. The largest was a Queen Mountain Man. I carry in my front pocket with my phone and wallet. The knife goes along the rear seam of the pocket and the other things keep it in the upright position. It surprised me that a large knife would carry so well, but the single blade made it fairly thin. I also didn't have to dig around in my pocket to find it because it was long enough to be easy to grab.

That said, the above would definitely not apply to the few times when I wear dress pants. Weight is more a factor than size in that situation, though. I think it really depends on the type of clothing worn and what else is carried in the same pocket as the knife.

When wearing Wrangler jeans, which is 95% of the time, I carry a Smith & Sons Mudbug(4 1/2" closed, 5/16" in width) with a paracord lanyard in my right front pocket.

For me it tends to be a single spring GEC 77. It's both as long and heavy as I can go before I notice it. The double spring 77 becomes thick enough that I can feel it in there chinos I wear to work.

In jeans I can do a Fremont Jack or other 79 single spring without noticing.

I do notice that in dress pants: keeping the knife upright is really important because once the knife goes sideways I can feel even a small knife like a Northwoods Norfolk. I sometimes carry knives in chinos in this leather keeper that stays in the pocket but keeps the knife upright:

Did you make that leather keeper, and how tight is it ?
I just decided to make myself one and it's incredibly tight ( I'm sure it'll break in, unless I have to wet form it ) I like the idea and wanted to try it out on my new Sabre mfk since its fairly beefy.

4" Schrade Muskrat for me,US mfg.
Doesn't move around a lot,great blade.

My Northfield #54 "Moose" with re-worked burnt stag covers fits in my pocket perfectly. For a 4 1/8" pocket knife, it almost disappears in my right front pocket.

Ron

At 4 1/4", the TK Cubans ride very nicely. The Northwoods Presidential with the flat bolsters really sits well in the pocket.

Back