Largest traditional knife that disappears in your pocket?

Mercator K55K pulls off the trick pretty neatly thanks to its slimness (and by extension the Douk Douk or a large Nagao Higo will do the same).

I can carry just about anything without noticing as long as it's in a watch pocket or back pocket next to my wallet, in both cases they would be standing straight up and that's what makes it possible. I can feel even a tiny knife like a victorinox classic in my pocket if it's not standing straight up. Orientation is everything IMO. Today I have a 4" stockman in my watch pocket and can't notice a thing, it's the little 3" case 5233 that's rolling around in my front pocket buggin' me:grumpy:

Last edited:
I had my wife sew a slot to the front left pocket on many of my jeans and so any folder under 4" works well and really not noticed until I need it.
currently have the #72

I had my wife sew a slot to the front left pocket on many of my jeans and so any folder under 4" works well and really not noticed until I need it.
currently have the #72

I think I'm going to try that. It would certainly look more professional with slacks in an office setting than a pocket clip showing.
Can you post a picture showing how it's sewn, please?

NativeCraft, here you go. the slot utilizes the hip side edge of the pocket and had my wife sew a L shaped line. this one was 1 1/4 wide, 3 in deep.
In couple of dress slack I had them only 2 1/2 deep and carry a #14 easily.

NativeCraft, here you go. the slot utilizes the hip side edge of the pocket and had my wife sew a L shaped line. this one was 1 1/4 wide, 3 in deep.
In couple of dress slack I had them only 2 1/2 deep and carry a #14 easily.

Thanks for the picture. I didn't realizeit would be that simple.

The Queen #06L teardrop linerlock is 3⅞" closed, but the spear blade lies so low in the blade well that they carry beautifully, while still giving plenty of cutting power.

WB06Lclosed_zpsnuwsbm2o.jpg~original

is it a nice full blade?

The only knives I'll carry at the bottom of a pocket (without a slip sheath, or pocket clip sheath) are my Case peanut and senator. ( I have a couple modern, that are quite small, as well, but we won't talk about them here. ;) )

Otherwise, I have a nice slip sheath that is thick and sturdy for my big-uns (Case Bose Lanny's clip, Le Thiers, GEC 2013 Traditional, etc.) and a William Henry clip case that takes care of the middlin' sizes, like a Case trapper, GEC 85, Canal Street Cannitler, etc.

Occasionally I'll carry a Buck 110 in a belt sheath.

Every once in a while, I'll throw an Opinel Gardener into a pair of jeans, but that is fairly rare, but the slimmer handle makes it work.

I've taken to the stockman pattern of late and I either go with a large or medium Case. The large is a bit annoying depending on the pants I have on. Which basically depends on what job I'm at...I have to wear standard uniform pants at my day job and the large stockman can flop around a bit. But I don't mind when I'm wearing my normal jeans or Carhartt pants.

My model 83 from GEC disappears into my pocket pretty easily. I have gone back to my GEC model 73 because the vertical play in my 83 is driving me nuts. The 73 drops into my pocket with little notice anymore. I guess the answer to the question is a model 73.

Back