Larrin Thomas podcast interview

Thanks for sharing the link. It was a fun interview.

Great interview. Opened my eyes up to the issues that folks buying knives face, "...another S30V steel..." and I look forward to seeing whatever steel you develop.

I have to admit, I enjoy all the steels piling up in the S30V+ range, but I'm open to trying a Modified AEBL or Vanax with the edge holding properties of the newer steels.

Great interview. Opened my eyes up to the issues that folks buying knives face, "...another S30V steel..." and I look forward to seeing whatever steel you develop.

I have to admit, I enjoy all the steels piling up in the S30V+ range, but I'm open to trying a Modified AEBL or Vanax with the edge holding properties of the newer steels.
I’m glad you liked it. Even Vanax is in a similar wear resistance-toughness range, though in another category for corrosion resistance.

Fun listen. There are still enough hours of potential things to unpack, that we could count by days of material left on the table.

As an aside, a fun byproduct of YouTube testers like Pete or Supersteel Steve is that they indirectly increase awareness of Knife Steel Nerds by way of creating conversation, providing increased exposure to references to the site’s content. They’re often gateways.

Yeah I wasn’t being critical of their channels, or at least not trying to.

Yeah I wasn’t being critical of their channels, or at least not trying to.

FWIW, I didn’t think you came across as critical. I could see people reading into it, but I thought you were very neutral.

great interview and podcast, thanks for the link

Larrin, any rough idea of when your 50lbs heat is ready for release? Very curious about this development.

great interview and podcast, thanks for the link

Larrin, any rough idea of when your 50lbs heat is ready for release? Very curious about this development.
I don't think we are close enough to talk about any dates. Heat treatment, hardness, metallography, and toughness data is done. Still need CATRA. Then ordering the final heat(s), the time for producing those, then forging/rolling, surface grinding, etc. Everything takes longer than you think it should.

Thanks this was a great interview and info!!

Larrin Larrin was the info published on the z-wear testing you had done a while back? Curious.

So it sounds like vanax may fill the void you were speaking of (between toughness and wear resistance) or is it more in the same category as aebl (on the rough tough side but lacking wear resistance compared to s30v) ?

Thanks this was a great interview and info!!

Larrin Larrin was the info published on the z-wear testing you had done a while back? Curious.

So it sounds like vanax may fill the void you were speaking of (between toughness and wear resistance) or is it more in the same category as aebl (on the rough tough side but lacking wear resistance compared to s30v) ?
Z-Wear testing: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/06/04/toughness-testing-cru-wear-z-wear/

Vanax is a good one, but its nitride volume (13%) is much closer to S30V (14.5%) than AEB-L (5-6%). For reference 3V is 5% and 10V is 17%. More carbide/nitride means less toughness.

Back