• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

larry chew

like a lot of other makers here Larry chew has been putting me off for years, he took my money and promised me a knife, within a few months , I know he had some issues during this time, his wife left him, he had a motorcycle accident and a operation, that took him out of the game for a while, but that was MANY MANY MANY years ago, and I still have no knife this guy is a POS buyer beware. This guy owe's my 650.00 or a tricked out knife, I realize to some $650.00 doesnt sound like a lot of money, but this is in 1999 dollars.

ohhh forgot to tell ya. when he does return my e-mails (maybe 1 out of 25) he always tells me he has mine almost done, and i'm next. but then another year passes and NO KNIFE. At this point i think IF I EVER SEE HIM AT A SHOW WITH KNIVES ON HIS TABLE I'M JUST GOING TO TAKE WHATEVER I WANT.

Last edited:
No...he owes me too and I feel your pain. Amazing how he can still sell to dealers. Mine goes back ALOT longer than yours, i've pretty much given up. But your idea of taking what you want if he is ever at at a show....I kind of did that at a show in Dallas, actually another knifemaker friend of mine "helped" me with my "acquiring" a knife. He still owes me at least one more and I've been promised the same as you, "Im next".:jerkit:

It is indeed amazing that dealers still do business with him. I was tempted by one of his knives recently, but knowing his background I passed. BTW, that knife is still on the dealer's site, so I mustn't be the only one boycotting him...

Stuff like this is what has sadly soured me to custom makers.

One year a guy is all over the magazines and his stuff is selling crazy, then if he flakes out you're screwed if you had money down or bought his stuff.

I know it's not common, but common enough for me to back away.

Luckily guys like him or Brad Duncan are the exception and not the rule. Unfortunately they give the rest of the industry a bad image.
As a rule, I do not pay in advance for a custom knife, I did once and it took three times longer than I was initially promised.

Stuff like this is what has sadly soured me to custom makers.

One year a guy is all over the magazines and his stuff is selling crazy, then if he flakes out you're screwed if you had money down or bought his stuff.

I know it's not common, but common enough for me to back away.

I stopped puttin' any stock in the magazines, they're nothin' more than paid advertisements anymore, probably the only paper I read at all is Knife World, at least it's worthy of bein' read. :)

I'm truly sorry for you all, But at the same time i'm glad to see that i'm NOT the only one in this boat

I like the going to the show and picking up a folder idea. Just run before the Police/security get there. :p

aj

I'm truly sorry for you all, But at the same time i'm glad to see that i'm NOT the only one in this boat
You may be the most patient one in the boat. Eleven years? Good grief. :grumpy:

I bought one of his knives about 8 years ago. I had a real problem taking possession of it too. I remember it took like 5 months, I started really pressuring him to finish it up. He said he sent it to me and FedEx lost it. Then it took another 2 months to send another one. the BS meter was pegged out.
The knife he made for me wasnt really all that great either. The liner lock was way sticky, the auto button was too high and it would go off in my pocket. I stabbed my self in the groin once.
I just sold last weekend at the Blade Show. Good riddance.

Any updates on this? I see a lot of his knives hitting dealers' sites and was wondering if he still owes some of his customers money/knives...

LARRY CHEW is a NO GOOD TWO-BIT THEIF

still owe's me a knife or cash refund, and does not reply to any e-mails or phone call's,
i see that Les at RCC, seems to have NEW chews coming in all the time.
besides LCC who else is he selling to? what sites are you guy's seeing his work pop up at, i'm going to write them all ?l
THIS GUY IS A REAL PEICE OF TRASH, STAY CLEAR OF HIM AT ALL COST, IF ANYONE HAS A GOOD PHONE NUMBER FOR HIM PLEASE POST IT, ALL I GET IS A MACHINE

Last edited:
Although I don't have much of an Internet presence, I have been collecting Knives for over 30 yr's and have never had this problem with anyone before. I have in the PAST Prepaid for knives from some very big names in CUSTOM FOLDERS, without any issue,
Don't allow this jerk off to ruin you from ordering knives

I have looked around the best i can and i see alot of people with problems with Larry chew

"Lifting" a knife from his table may pose some problems for ya. However, to accidentally drop one of them point down on his foot probably won't. If it was my 650 bucks, I wouldn't care where he lived or what it cost me to get there to collect. Principles are important.

Back