• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

larry chew

Toby,

You contacted me and your information has been passed to Larry.

As we all know there are two sides to every story.

I have known Larry Chew for over 18 years...before he started making knives.

Larry has done his best to get the knives owed to those.

What most people who have gotten their knives fail to mention is that Larry not only sent them the knife they ordered...but included a second knife for their "inconvenience".

Larry builds a top quality knife. Is the innovator of the roller thrust bearing that is now becoming popular with some of the makers. His folders are extremely well made and super smooth.

As for his DA Autos with the covert mechanisms...there are none better.

Yes I am a dealer for Larry. Yes Larry is my friend. Yes, I have had some difficulties with getting knives from Larry over the years....but he has always made it right.....ALWAYS.

Les, when you say folks are getting the knife owed plus another is that second knife also one of Larry's customs?

I ask because if that were the case then Larry would be making two knives for every one he owes and how could that do anything but slow down the process of getting the originally ordered knives done?

Hi JUJ,

Looks he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

The majority of makers who take full payment for a knife and disappear. Never even make the first knife....that was paid for. Let alone another custom knife to make up for the irritation.

It wasn't that many customers who would qualify for a second knife. So if it did slow down the process it was negligible. However, if you ask those people who received the second custom knife for free. They would have been impressed (at least a little) by that. Maybe enough to cut Larry a little slack.

Fact is only Larry knows how many customers are still owed knives. As there are are two sides to every story.

Considering that this is a 6-month old thread and only two members posted that they are still owed a knife by Mr. Chew, there must not be that many people around he owes something to, at least not on this forum.

Points taken Les. My question was borne out of thinking I were a customer owed a knife from Larry I would rather have the one knife sooner, however much that may be, and perhaps some other type of make good like a partial refund on the price. No one way to please everybody.

I would be MORE THEN HAPPY with JUST ONE KNIFE the one he has told me for years, that is sitting in front of him, basically done. All I want is the one he owe's me, if he wantes to make a second give it to the next person waiting 10 yr's or more like me.

I would not carry the best knife that this maker made due to sheer principle if I had been taken. I can understand that this maker has had tragedy, but should put paying customers first. Good luck getting a knife after 10 yrs. Always makes it right? What is the time frame for always?

Bullsh*t...this is nonsense...if someone paid me to build them a knife nearly 11 years ago, I'd damn sure made it right by now. I feel Toby has a right to be pissed and Larry Chew has an obligation to get him his knife or refund his money. Cripes...how can anyone defend this persons ethic? Anyway you look at it - it's BS and as others have said on here, it cast a blem on the rest of us that build blades. Stay on him Toby.

Wolf Jack,

Here here! Almost makes you think there is another side to the story.

Then again, you don't know whether there is or not. Hell I don't know what the other side of the story is.

So at this point it is pure speculation by you or me or anyone else who feels they should jump in and beat up Larry.

Perhaps Toby should take him to Federal court and sue him?

Around 5 maybe 6 yr's ago ( I think) a large number of people on the USN FORUMS posted a similar thread. Larry was an active member of that board at this time, and it PISSED HIM OFF AND HURT HIS FEELINGS that people that have been sitting quietly for year's all of a sudden seem to raise up against him, we were seeing new models coming out, Forum knives being made( a fixed blade and a folder) etc etc etc, and we wanted what was OWED to us. he said everyone that posted something nasty ( the truth, mind you) about him is either OFF THE LIST and would get nothing or going to the end of it. I was one of those people.
Yes Larry had a bad divorce, and a bad motorcycle accident, hurt his hand or wrist pretty bad as well as a number of other set backs I.E.; really bad head cold, lost the key to his shop and got his dick caught in his zipper, you know what, I don't care any longer what hardships he has gone through. HE'S MAKING AND SELLING KNIVES, DAMN IT I WANT WHAT'S OWED TO ME. WHEN HE GOT INTO HIS MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT HE FELL ON HARD TIMES THE MEMBERS ON USN FORUMS PULLED TOGETHER TO HELP AND HELD AN AUCTION FOR HIM, TO RAISE MONEY FOR MED BILLS AND LIVING ETC. I PURCHASED ONE OF HIS KNIVES THAT HE PUT UP FOR SALE ( HE SAID IT WAS HIS FAVORITE KNIFE, A FIXED BLADE BY SOME OTHER MAKER) PAID A FEW HUNDRED $'S FOR IT AND THEN GAVE IT BACK TO HIM. THE AUCTION WAS BEFORE THE THREAD STARTED, WE ALL WAITED FOR LARRY TO HEAL, HE DID, THEN STARTED MAKING CUSTOM ORDERS FROM NEW PEOPLE THAT PAID HIM, THEN HE MADE THE FORUM FIXED BLADE and then some plain folders ,. I REALIZE I'M STARTED TO RANT, so I'll take it down a bit. when Larry Chew first came out with his COVERT DA folder I purchased one of the first prototypes, after about a week I realized it was to big,( it was still in new unused condition) and asked Larry if he would make me a scaled down version, it didn't need to be a proto, just a bit smaller, I gave him back in person his larger knife so he could resell it as a prototype,( which brought him in more money the a plain production knife) Larry told me at that time I'd have my new knife within 3-4 weeks, that was around 1999 ish that's when all this started, and if you can put this post in it's proper order you now have both sides of the story. SO there you have it,both side's

again sorry for the RANT, but thinking about it really ticks me off, when i did everything could to help the guy, and he just turned around and pissed on me

Hi Toby,

I have no doubt that is exactly how you remember it. Again, that is your side of the story...not both sides.

Les, I am sorry, but unless Larry comes here and on USN and posts his side of the story, there is only one side to it.

HI Lorenzo,

Whether Larry presents his side to the discussion or not. There are always two sides. Almost without exception, the truth is found somewhere in between.

BS Les, if the man did not get what was promised for over ten years he's justified in being thoroughally pissed. End of story.........

Les your vehement defense smells funny to me.
And the two sides of every story thing is getting old.
While there may be only two sides of every story. There is only one truth.
The truth is, Larry has duped a lot of people. And rather than owning up to it he is streaming excuses together, or just ignoring these people all together.

You are coming to his defense because you are selling his knives. You need him to look good, otherwise you have inventory that is not going to move. It would look bad for business otherwise.

Hi Ker,

Vehement defense. Hardly. Nope, just saying there are two sides to every story.

Already got the email last night letting me know I was going to be "outed" on every forum because I carry Larry's knives.

Im not stuck with any of Larry's inventory, I don't have any right now.

Probably be next year before I get some more knives.

Larry was wrong. So you either hire an attorney and sue him or you let it go.

why some members above jump in on Larry Chew while they don't have a story to tell? I had a great experience with Mr. Chew few months ago from getting one of his knives.

Last edited:
Oromoto, I'm pleased as punch you had a good experience with Mr Chew, To tell you the truth, in 20 plus yr's of knife collecting Mr Chew is the only problem i have ever had with a knife maker or dealer, So i'm not that suprised !!!! and i have dealt with alot newer name's and makers without issue but before he makes you or anyother new customer another knife, he should take care of those owed,(like me). I am starting this up again because i have wrote to larry at least 6-8 times within the past 4-6 months, asking where is my knife/ money/ anything, he just doesnt reply anymore, SO I AM OUT TO WARN ANYONE CONSIDERING A LARRY CHEW KNIFE BEWARE, my soul purpose at this point is to distroy LARRY CHEW'S NAME AND BUSINESS.
"HE TOOK FROM ME, I'M GOING TO TAKE FROM HIM
"

No comment on that Sir, do whatever you think is right. I was just posting my past experience with Mr. Chew and wanting to know why some others are sinking him without any real trade with him.

Back