Las Vegas knife laws

Taking a trip to Vegas soon. Was looking into knife carry law, because I typically carry my Rajah II in my pocket everywhere I go.

By Nevada law this seems, fine. Clark County has an ordinance that bans the concealed carry of any knife with a blade longer than 3". However, that law specifically states that it applies to the unincorporated areas of the county. Am I wrong, or does this not actually apply to the actual city of Las Vegas?

Nope, you need to keep your folders to 3" or less in Las Vegas. And if you're going to see a show, you will see security checkpoints in the larger arenas.

Zieg

How does that law apply in Las Vegas, when Vegas is, I believe, an incorporated city? The county ordinance *specifically* states it applies to unincorporated areas of the county.

I ended up not taking the trip anyway, due to scheduling issues, but I'm curious.

Edit: Never mind, looked into it. The strip is actually outside of the incorporated city limits, so it's subject to county ordinances regarding unincorporated areas.

I've visited Vegas many times, and I'd highly suggest not carrying anything over 3 inches in your pocket. The police presence on the strip is fairly high, and after all of the terrorist incidents in the past few years (crazy woman mowing down a crowd in Dec. 2015, and the Vegas shooting a year ago), I imagine any significant bulge (save the jokes) in your pants or even just a knife clip may make you a person of interest.

if youre concerned about self defense, i heard a saying once " you can cause as much damage with a small knife as you can with a big knife" the logic behind that quote is, all the major arteries that if severely cut can kill you, are sitting at just 2.5-3 inches below skin surface. therefore any knife at least 3 inches long, can be used to kill someone.
now, if anyone is worried about not being able to adequately fend off a drunk or an opportunist, fear not; you can use a Good Cook paring knife, partial tang, stamped stainless and made in china and be just fine. Just stop at CVS before you go to the strip :p
otherwise, I'm sure a smaller knife will suffice for 95% of your cutting needs while in Las Vegas.

How about an OTF with a 1.9" blade or any auto with a sub 3" blade in Clark Co.?

Lvmpd, fish and game, and park rangers have never asked to see nor measure any of my blades. They are always more concerned about my glock which I have a valid ccw for. That being said it's better to be safe than sorry, 3" blade is plenty for my purposes especially when my pistol is my primary.

Back