Laser vs Waterjet vs EDM

Drew Riley

Riley Knife and Tool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Bottom support is not sufficient to stop delam on G10 in a waterjet - in fact, bottom support has little to do with it. The delam happens during the pierce - i.e. before the jet has cut through the material.

EDIT - I should say that the most severe delam happens during the pierce. Less severe delam can occur during the cut, and it is remedied by bottom support.

Makes sense.

Drew Riley

Riley Knife and Tool
Yes, I te

Yes I read that there's a way it can be done if the operator knows what they are doing.... Is this true? What about in ti? Can the water jet spot small holes?

I've had holes as small is .050 spotted in some AEB-L. I've had as small as .085 spotted in titanium, and there was just the smallest amount of taper to them, though it was negligible. The holes were still round though, and that was the main thing.

REK Knives

I've had holes as small is .050 spotted in some AEB-L. I've had as small as .085 spotted in titanium, and there was just the smallest amount of taper to them, though it was negligible. The holes were still round though, and that was the main thing.
Thanks if I can just get them spotted accurately during the water jetting that will save me a ton of man hours.