1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Latest Miniature Project - Photos added

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    After finishing the 6:1 scale model of a Thompson sub-machine gun, I started on the next project.
    Thompson project - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/my-most-ambitious-project-yet.1512658/

My latest is a 6:1 scale replica of a 1903 30-06 Springfield rifle. I decided to make al parts functional except the trigger assembly. The stock is a piece of Bill Moran's rosewood. The metal parts are sterling silver with a few gold accents. The silver was patinated black.
    I assembled blueprints, parts lists and diagrams ... and my mint 1918 Springfield rifle. The start was converting a good drawing into a scale sheet. Once the millimeter size of all dimensions was converted to 6"1 ratio, I started with the barrel, chamber, and action. From there the bolt and firing pin assemble was next. The rest was manufacturing all the fittings, swivels, front pieces, butt plate, etc. As a final extra, I made a bayonet and scabbard ... plus a clip of scale size ammo. There is a round in the chamber that can be dropped in the breach and loaded with the bolt. I made a mini ramrod to un-chamber the cartridge, as the seat is a perfect snug fit.

All work was done by hand with tiny saw blades (as small as 7/0), tiny drill bits, and files ... no milling machines or micro-lathes. The only turning was done by chucking a piece of brass wire in the handpiece and shaping the bullets with tiny files. I haven't done a final count, but ther are probably 100 separate pieces in the project.

The photos will show the steps of construction, the components in various stages, and the final rifle. There is a shot with it sitting on the full size rifle.

I will put in the photos over the next day, so I will place hold a bunch of spaces after this post for the photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    olymon, Matt-D, GotSteel and 7 others like this.
  2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    More photos:
    Notice the clip of scale ammo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 9:03 AM
  3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    more photos

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 8:49 AM
  4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    more photos:
    The bayonet is made in sterling with a gold blade. The sheath is calfskin.
    The one close-up is me turning the cartridges in a flex shaft handpiece using a tiny square file as a turning tool. There is a shot of the shell seating in the chamber ... which is properly tapered and shaped. I made a tiny drill bit that was shaped to form the chamber. The photo of the thing in my fingers is a front shot of the chamber showing the bullet where it will enter the barrel. The chamber was later assembled into the completed barrel.
    There is a shot of the firing pin, spring, and retainer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM
  5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    A few shots of the Thompson.
    A mini-Pappenheimer.
    And a peek at the next project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 8:58 AM
  6. Knife freaky

Knife freaky Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2016
    You always amaze me with your work. Stunning as usual!

7. KnuckleDownKnives

KnuckleDownKnives Time to make the doughnuts.. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 12, 2015
    Very nice Stacy..

8. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    That's awesome Stacy. My most prized possession is a 1903-A3 given to me by a good friend and WWII vet who passed away recently. That miniature is amazingly accurate. BTW, when I get my wood back from K&G, I'll send you those .45acp bullets. In the package as well as some blocks.

9. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Stacy - you are simply amazing with your work - AMAZING!!!! I do have a question for the group, I see the 5 photos in the first post, but each of the next posts that says "more photos", I don't see any photos. Are my eyes bad?

10. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Very Nice Stacey...that is amazing work as usual,and will go nicely with the Thompson.

11. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    He's just reserved those posts so all the photos will be together before all the backslapping posts begin.

12. WC53

WC53

Dec 15, 2016
    I cannot even imagine the skill and steady hand it takes to create these miniatures. Very cool!

13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Miniatures are fun!

14. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks guys.
    Yes, it takes some precision. The bore is .05". The hardest thing on these type scale models is keeping thicknesses right. If something is 1/4" thich full size, it is .04" thich in 6:1. That isn't too hard to do, but things that may be .1" in full are .016" in 6:1 scale. Working with things that are barely over a hundredth of an inch thick can be tricky. Threading the knurled cap and shaft of the firing pin took a 5/0 tap.

15. Jonathans

Jonathans Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Absolutely fantastic! Very impressive work

16. LARRYZ10

LARRYZ10 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 6, 2010
    What an impressive piece of work. Just outstanding. Larry

17. DanF

DanF Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Wow, very nice!

18. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Yes, now it clicks, I see the "reserved" now - good idea to keep all photos together. Again, It's just hard for me to imagine all the work and precision that goes into those miniatures. I expect it's actually more work than making a full size.

19. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    I got to fondle the Thompson at Ashokan. Really small, and really cool!

20. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Very nice work !! Miniatures are challenging and fun to make and you have to but your brain in gear !
    "Blacken " the silver ? Usually the black on silver is sulfide You don't usually get oxide .
    Today's Thompsons are made by Kahr Arms which is located just a few miles south of me .Thompsons certainly have an interesting history !
    Please keep showing your miniature work.