Lathe turning knives/chisels

i just picked up a wood lathe the other day and am looking to make some turning tools(gouges, scrapers, chisels, etc). I have a basic 8 piece set with the essentials, but would like a couple bowl gouges and other tools.

For the bowl gouges, I think it would be easiest to make them out of round stock of some sort. Then I could just mill a channel down the middle of it and then put the proper bevel angle on it. But I’m not sure what type of steel would be best, and that would be available. I know a lot of the factory made lathe tools are made from high speed steel(HSS). I have seen some high end ones made from cpm-110v. Of course, with I’m fairly limited in regards to shape with the high end steel. So what do you guys think?

Also, any advice in general on making lathe tools would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would experiment with using W2 round stock for the gouges and W2 flat stock for the chisels. The primary bevel (bagels?)angles and micro-bevels ( mini-bagels?) are very critical angles. Do some research on the angles and edges before grinding the final bevel.

I would suggest you make flat, round nose, and skew chisels and just purchase "V", and gouge blades. Sharpening skills on lathe tools is where most lathe work either succeeds or fails. I bet a million dollars a year is spent in the USA alone on replacing tools that were ruined by improper sharpening attempts.

All that said, I use mostly turning chisels with replaceable/re-sharpenable carbide inserts on the end. Very sharp, and easily turned to expose a new edge when damaged or worn. I re-sharpen them on a diamond lap.

I've been a wood turner for about 30 years, and made everything from table legs to delicate hollow vases and bowls over 3 feet in diameter. And, I work in an industrial setting with access to any HSS or tool steel you could imagine.

That said, I've made a few scrapers, and some odd offset stuff for hollow forms, but that's about it. All of my other turning tools (bowl gouges, skews, parting tools, etc...) are purchased.

https://www.packardwoodworks.com/ and https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ are the usual go-to sources. The best bowl gouges I've ever used are the Glaser Hi-Tec in 15V: https://glaserhitec.com/product-category/products/bowl/ They're a little pricy, but the lead filled aluminum handles are wonderfully balanced and damped, and the a single 15V gouge will easily outlast 3 to 5 HSS gouges.

As Stacy said, sharpening skills will be the key to tool life. If possible, find an experienced woodturner that can show you how to sharpen the tools, and (just as important) how to properly use a bowl gouge. A good 1/2'' or 3/8'' bowl gouge, with a swept back Ellsworth style grind, is my single most versatile turning tool: http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer..._Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-ellsw-gouge I'll use it on bowls, spindles and even pens.

Personally, I never cared for the carbide tools. They last a really long time, but the edges just can't get as sharp or cut as clean. You should definitely try everything you can & decide from there what your preferences are.

I probably have an advantage with the carbide inserts, as I have sharpening equipment most don't. I keep them sharp and clean.

I do agree that a well ground and properly polished edge HSS tool will shave a curlicue 10 feet long and so thin that you can read a paper through it. I have been knee deep in shavings from a lamp base project that was turned from 3" stock. It looked like I had turned a whole tree down.

Thanks a ton guys. The only round steel I have at the moment that is hardenable is 5160 and 9254. I’m thinking about trying to make a bowl gouge out of one of those just for kicks. It’s really the only lathe tool I don’t have and could really use st the moment.

I probably have an advantage with the carbide inserts, as I have sharpening equipment most don't. I keep them sharp and clean.

I do agree that a well ground and properly polished edge HSS tool will shave a curlicue 10 feet long and so thin that you can read a paper through it. I have been knee deep in shavings from a lamp base project that was turned from 3" stock. It looked like I had turned a whole tree down.

Is it possible to sharpen those carbide cutters on a diamond sharpening stone? Like a DMT or similar? Is that what you Use?

Is it possible to sharpen those carbide cutters on a diamond sharpening stone? Like a DMT or similar? Is that what you Use?

Yea, you can sharpen carbide with diamond stones.

There are actually a number of videos on making your own lathe chisels made to hold those replaceable carbide inserts, which you can buy to use on your chisels. They aren't that expensive and last a long time, and a number of them have a cutting edge on all four sides you can rotate to the front. Basically make all of the chisel body expect just before the edge, create a step maybe about half the thickness and drill and tap to hold the insert.

About 2 years ago, I made my dad a smaller pen-turning chisel out of some small round 52100 (~7/16"), although it wasn't a gouge so I forged it flat and shaped the edge with an ever so slight round profile. It was a fun project.

Also, since you most likely won't be able to get a hold of any round W2 for making stock-removal gouges, if you want to use similar steel you can easily get some round W1.

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Last edited:
if your going ot put the time into making them yourself might as well use a steel like M4 or 10v i made a negative rake scraper out of some 10v i had on hand and its a beast but my lathe can also turn 24" over the bed so i made it incase of big work

Back