Law Of the Sharks, Rules, Tips, and Tricks

Poor Tony is around 2.79 download/ .93 upload but that slow speed is what helped him land the last post in the bid auction on Friday too, I think. :)

Exactly. I put that winning bid in at 3:07, and it didn't pop up until 3:59! Hahahaha...just kidding.

What I have noticed is that my delay varies significantly depending on when I send the message. If I'm responding to a post early in the morning - when forum traffic is very light and nobody is on - my delay is very short. If I'm posting at high-traffic times, it can stretch out significantly. Low traffic times can be 2 or 3 seconds. High traffic times can average between 8 and as long as 12 seconds. Not forever, but long enough when playing our little game.

I'm looking at it as a hidden blessing. I absolutely must moderate my spending right now, and the delay coupled with my slow internet speeds means I can't really compete with the big boys on Fridays (oh, and there's Thursdays, and Wednesdays).

My only shot at that Ladyfinger was actually benefitting from being last, and believe me, I timed it to hit the return button so that there was a solid 15+ seconds left before the clock hit 4pm.

(I timed this post. It took 10 full seconds to refresh and appear in the forum.)

It amazes me (in a good way I think) how we are talking about this, how precious seconds define a Friday afternoon. Gone are the days of people viewing the thread/knives then commenting or taking time to choose! I suppose forki and the preview give people time to choose. I was having a nostalgic read through some of the older Friday threads looking for knives I had bought or picked up later and it's funny to see how relaxed it was then - different thread post times and knives that would go in milliseconds today sitting there until they got sent to dealers. Crazy how things have gone in a couple of years. Long may it continue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I think the playing field will be a lot more level this coming Friday due to the new forum software rollout. The keyboard shortcuts simply aren't there anymore. Specifically:
  • You used to be able to hit Tab and it would place the cursor in the Reply field at the bottom of the thread. I can't seem to find anything similar.
  • You'd then do a Ctrl-V to paste your reply text and that piece still applies.
  • Instead of clicking the Post Reply button, you could do an Alt-S. I don't believe there's a keyboard shortcut for this either.

To hit the Post Reply button quickly (not as fast as Alt-S, but better than using the mouse), hit the Tab key while in the editor and then hit Space which will fire the Post Reply button.

So:

Tab Space

For me, after pulling up a thread, Tab gets me into the reply box.

Tab > Ctrl V > Tab > Space

Side note, I like how much faster the replies are posted now. Really liking the new software.

That doesn't work for me. Could be Firefox... I'll try in Chrome.

Edit: doesn't work for me in Chrome either. Tab just start's cycling through the various buttons starting at the top.

As a side note, Chrome seems much faster than Firefox with the new software. I've been meaning to migrate over, guess now is good a time as any... :D

That doesn't work for me. Could be Firefox... I'll try in Chrome.

Nevermind, it appears to be something that works for me in Safari, but not other browsers.

Actually, Chrome can be made to do it by unsetting this advanced option:

"Pressing Tab on a webpage highlights links, as well as form fields"

With that turned off, Tab goes straight into reply for me.

Another ETA:

Apparently that's a Chrome on macOS feature. Can't seem to find it on windows. Sorry guys.

Last edited:
Welp, back to infancy this Friday!

BabyShark-vi.jpg

Nevermind, it appears to be something that works for me in Safari, but not other browsers.

Actually, Chrome can be made to do it by unsetting this advanced option:

"Pressing Tab on a webpage highlights links, as well as form fields"

With that turned off, Tab goes straight into reply for me.

Another ETA:

Apparently that's a Chrome on macOS feature. Can't seem to find it on windows. Sorry guys.

Haha, my last comment still applies!

I may try playing with it a bit. Though I've been plenty quick with mouse and keyboard before!

As a mobile user, I now see how incredible it is that I've ever sharked a knife. I'm handy with a keyboard, but at 2pm CST on Fridays, I'm standing in a big, open field. Tap -> Long Tap -> Paste -> Tap takes infinitely longer than smacking a keyboard around.

As a mobile user, I now see how incredible it is that I've ever sharked a knife. I'm handy with a keyboard, but at 2pm CST on Fridays, I'm standing in a big, open field. Tap -> Long Tap -> Paste -> Tap takes infinitely longer than smacking a keyboard around.

I hear you! I've claimed a couple on the phone as well. Definitely not as fast as a PC.

Just as important as these helpful hints...are the "Do Nots."
Do Not:...Climb on the Fiddleback Friday bandwagon if:
1. you suck on a smart-phone (not funny)
2. you find yourself sitting in a doctor's waiting room at 3 pm and say..."Why not?"
3. you arrive at the sale page, on your new phone, and say "Oh Wow"...wonder what this knife is like...
4. you impetuously post I'll take it...for just about anything and then realize...you're broke.
5. you are standing in the doc's room, with your pants down to your ankles, while he's doing a whole body skin check...
6. you ordered something and now trying to back out of the deal, but can't handle the damnable phone..
7. you say "Sorry, doc, but how do I send this reply? while simultaneously apologizing like mad....

This is NOT the recommended procedure...
WOW!
Thanks to the Mod for being such a nice guy...
Don

I'm pretty new to Fiddleback Friday and Bladefourms. Has anyone ever contacted Fiddleback at the shop number they listed in this tread to purchase a knife? I'm wondering how extensive the selection on hand is. Like, what are the chances they will have something close to what someone is looking for?

I'm pretty new to Fiddleback Friday and Bladefourms. Has anyone ever contacted Fiddleback at the shop number they listed in this tread to purchase a knife? I'm wondering how extensive the selection on hand is. Like, what are the chances they will have something close to what someone is looking for?
We have slim pickin's right now. We just took on 3 new Dealers and are filling their orders.

http://fiddlebackforge.com/index.cfm/purchasing/

edit.....
you can always email me at phillip@fiddlebackforge.com & I can check on Tuesday or whenever if you decide to email

We have slim pickin's right now. We just took on 3 new Dealers and are filling their orders.

http://fiddlebackforge.com/index.cfm/purchasing/

edit.....
you can always email me at phillip@fiddlebackforge.com & I can check on Tuesday or whenever if you decide to email

Thanks for the info. I was lucky enough to pick up a lil lady a few weeks ago through Fiddleback Friday. The system is definitely a lot of fun and I look forward to it every week. Glad to see you guys have added some new dealers too. I still hope to pick up a gaucho and hiking buddy at some point.

Back