LB7 Bear Paw LB Survey

Of those three, the #210012 is you best bet for one which retailed in 1979. Exact years are nearly impossible at this juncture. Production records contain codes and suffixes not yet deciphered. A "rosetta stone" has not yet surfaced. Anyone know with absolute certainty what an LB7ND is?

Drop points were LB7DP. Nickle Silver bolsters were LB7NS. It obviously had something to do with production details, but maybe packaging? Still a mystery at this point. I do know now that the changes in production details which we have used to landmark ages were wrong.

While digging through files looking for something else, I came across a Schrade Cutlery internal memo dated 1978. In it I found:

Some customers may prefer the LB-7's packed in bulk without display, each individually boxed. Packed either 4 to a carton or 10 to the carton. Orders should be written - LB-7ND (No Display).
:eek:
Why didn't you guys point this out to me? :D

Well, it clears the way a bit for me to more closely date the LB-7 pattern knives by serials. I'll update this as I progress.:)

Michael

Here is how the serial numbers shake out so far. Ready? Drop your dimes in the can to your right.

1977 - Serials #0001 - #17693
1978 - Serials #17694 - #334585
1979 - Serials #334586 - #785250
1980 - Serials #785251 - #999,999, #A00001 - #A99999, #B00001 - #B18423
1981 - Serials #B18424 - #B99999, #C00001 - #C81575

I'll add more after I count my dimes.:D

Michael

Codger, thanks for the above information. it is truly remarkable how much you contribute. i can only imagine that you don't sleep as i know that you are also a contractor (who always has at least 1 897UH in pocket).
i just "won" the following mint LB7 for a v. reasonable $45.95:
4 pin Schrade +/USA LB7
serial # 53938
sheath: dark brown
white box with "UNCLE HENRY" in script
so this is a 1978 knife.
i say "reasonable price" because i have been watching Bulldog and German made Kissing Crane knives. Schrades at present are a good deal. roland

below are pics. of the above mentioned 4 pin LB7 #53938. i know there are lower #s posted in this thread, but this is pretty good. i could only top it with a knife in same (factory, not mint, i have recently learned) condition with #17695 or lower. this one is not a user, but i think the LB7 should be in the Knife Hall of Fame as one of the best user knives of all time.
question for the "experts": should i leave it alone, or is it o.k. to carefully polish the bolsters with some Flitz and then coat bolsters and blade with Tuff Cloth, or coat with Tuff Cloth, no polishing ? and finally, what about the handles ? objective: to not decrease collector value. thanks, roland

Looking at the production numbers I posted some time back, it does appear to be so. #77786 falls into the circa 1978 time period.

Michael

The 777 look like they were made in a different stamping than the 86 which looks hand stamped.

I'm still looking for your Paypal link! :D

I only have 1 LB7, been concentrating on other Schrades with a limited budget :eek:

Stamped
Schrade+
U.S.A. LB7
4 pins - 3 brass + 1 steel
steel blade rivet
serial # KH41974 - marked on upper edge of the bolster

Its been a year since the last post. Im going to add my LB7 anyway.

Stamped
Schrade+
USA LB7
4 pins
seria# D71105

Edited 01/31/2011 to add:
Codger, I know you asked for a certain format in posting the LB7 types, numbers, and details as we encounter them. My plan is to add LB7's with serial #'s as I find them, whether on the net (ebay, for example) or at the thrift stores and antique stores here. I need to format my list in a way to save space. Let me know if I need to change anything. ~cpr

My all-time favorite knife. (One of the first I ever traded for; in high school. :D) May as well add mine too:

3 pins
SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7
#R47839

3 pins
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB7 U.S.A.
#AV34846

(ebay, 12/19/09)
4 pins, SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. LB7; #J57026

(ebay, 1/10/10)
4 pins; SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. LB7; #E73747
4 pins; SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. LB7; #B7124
4 pins; SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. LB7; #950634
3 pins; SCHRADE+ over U.S.A. LB7; #N37957

(ebay, 1/31/11)
3 pins; Uncle Henry over SCHRADE+ over LB7 U.S.A.; #A3218 (# stated in auction title, but no pic of actual serial #.)
3 pins; Uncle Henry over SCHRADE+ over LB7 U.S.A.; #AW22073

(ebay, April 2011)
3 pins; Uncle Henry over SCHRADE+ over LB7 U.S.A.; #AZ49678

thx - cpr

Last edited:
Here's mine, Schrade L.B 7 4 pin 866998, Schrade + L.B 7 4 pin 286686, Schrade + L.B 7 4 pin 750117 , Schrade +L.B 7 4 pin 536841, Schrade + L.B 7 3 pin R50472 . thanks for all the research you do, G.M

Thanks again guys. I've added them in.

A problem arises when I go thru the serials and try to assign dates for certain sequences of serial numbers. The further we go from the introduction date using the factory production records, the greater the margins for errors.

These production records are actually factory records of the number of pieces shipped in a given calendar year. More might have been produced without being shipped (sent out as loss or damage replacements or held in stocks for future shipments), and some sent may not have been included in the serial number sequencing (Special factory orders and limited editions) yet were included in the total of pieces shipped by the year's end.

Thus the error increases exponentially every year we progress forward from the first production ramp up, 1977 with 17,693 pieces shipped by year end. Even if sufficient NIB examples with sales reciepts from the purchase from primary dealers were to be found, that doesn't tell us during what year it was produced or how long it sat on the dealer's shelves or stockroom.

Michael

Here's some more LB7s for the list. Notice that two are marked USA LB7 vise
LB7 USA and neither has the Uncle Henry inscription on the tang. I don't know if this is important or not.

Ser # Q27467
3 Pin
Schrade +
USA LB7
No box, no sheath
Ser # Z88814
3 Pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB7 USA
No box, no sheath

Ser # AA42113
3 Pin
Schrade +
USA LB7
Double white box, dark, dark almost black sheath

Ser # none
3 Pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB7 USA
No box, medium brown sheath

Ser # none
3 Pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB7 USA
No box, tan sheath

Ser # none
3 Pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB7 USA
No box, tan sheath

Walt

Serial #
3 pin
Uncle Henry
Schrade +
LB8 USA
Tan box, Black sheath

Last edited:
My sole LB7 acquired sometime in early '80s (prior to may '83) from the factory.

P98884 3 pins

SCHRADE+
U.S.A. LB7

Back