LC and BW hangin out in the bush

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Little hike after work yesterday, pretty wet, just perfect. Some pics for you, featuring CPK LightChopper and Busse Bushwhacker Mistress

Yaaaayyy...trailbuilding season is here!

6YzcZKt.jpg

XiugF9n.jpg

Y2MPTuE.jpg

WMhOQjz.jpg

LCsGHbV.jpg

VzY5oVX.jpg

XWX017E.jpg

IwN4wlv.jpg

dibmLA8.jpg

Nice pictures Lorien. Some time back you mentioned that you use some kind of polishing cleaner on your LC, and I love the finish that has given it. What is that compound again, I can't recall.

I was just wondering what you thought about the Bushwacker Mistress, and how it compares to the LC.

the BW is heavier by about 3oz, so is a little harder on the wrist for snap cuts, but it takes fewer hits to get through big stuff. The dropped blade geometry of the LC is a little more efficient for chopping, so even though it's a fair amount lighter than the Busse, it wasn't too far behind in that dept. Also should keep in mind that the secondary bevel of my LC is pretty obtuse at this point due to the great many resharpenings it's seen. Doesn't bite quite as deep as it used to.

The BW handle's a little uncomfortable at times, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought the flared tube fasteners with the countersunk recess would be more of a problem than it was. Had some instances of lateral deflection, which I was surprised by since the blade and handle are pretty much in line, but on the whole, it performed pretty consistently. That might just be pilot error. The LC seems more accurate to me, indeed it was designed to be very accurate, but that might be a product of hours of experience as much as anything else. I find the LC handle to be substantially more comfortable, but the BW isn't bad. I went bare handed just to see if I'd get any blistering, and I'm happy to say my hands are still intact.

Really impressed with infi so far, as it's still super sharp after chopping and hacking for a few hours. It was definitely sharper than the LC, since I just received it back from Stuart with that wicked edge, and I didn't get around to ensuring the LC started at the same level of sharpness. Not far off, but not quite a fair comparison in the edge dept.

This is only the second time I've had the BW out, the first time was with the as-is bevel, and it was like chopping with a maul as opposed to an axe. The regrind is a huge upgrade and makes all the difference. It'll take several more times in the bush to get a real feel for it, but as it stands, I'm glad I didn't sell it yet as it's grown on me. I feel really lucky to be able to have both knives and to have the opportunity to use them.

I use Autosol metal polish to maintain my blades, and over time it does give the steel a nice lustre.

the BW is heavier by about 3oz, so is a little harder on the wrist for snap cuts, but it takes fewer hits to get through big stuff. The dropped blade geometry of the LC is a little more efficient for chopping, so even though it's a fair amount lighter than the Busse, it wasn't too far behind in that dept. Also should keep in mind that the secondary bevel of my LC is pretty obtuse at this point due to the great many resharpenings it's seen. Doesn't bite quite as deep as it used to.

The BW handle's a little uncomfortable at times, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought the flared tube fasteners with the countersunk recess would be more of a problem than it was. Had some instances of lateral deflection, which I was surprised by since the blade and handle are pretty much in line, but on the whole, it performed pretty consistently. That might just be pilot error. The LC seems more accurate to me, indeed it was designed to be very accurate, but that might be a product of hours of experience as much as anything else. I find the LC handle to be substantially more comfortable, but the BW isn't bad. I went bare handed just to see if I'd get any blistering, and I'm happy to say my hands are still intact.

Really impressed with infi so far, as it's still super sharp after chopping and hacking for a few hours. It was definitely sharper than the LC, since I just received it back from Stuart with that wicked edge, and I didn't get around to ensuring the LC started at the same level of sharpness. Not far off, but not quite a fair comparison in the edge dept.

This is only the second time I've had the BW out, the first time was with the as-is bevel, and it was like chopping with a maul as opposed to an axe. The regrind is a huge upgrade and makes all the difference. It'll take several more times in the bush to get a real feel for it, but as it stands, I'm glad I didn't sell it yet as it's grown on me. I feel really lucky to be able to have both knives and to have the opportunity to use them.

I use Autosol metal polish to maintain my blades, and over time it does give the steel a nice lustre.

Thanks Lorien! :thumbsup:

brought out the HC yesterday. About the same number of hits difference as was between the LC and the BW, and about 3oz heavier than the BW. All things being equal, the weight of the knife appears to have a direct correlation to number of hits to get through timber

KoPIAIE.jpg

yuPSHPN.jpg

6dy0DrT.jpg

yV5cga6.jpg

6t6oePm.jpg

Your title is very deceptive. Have you ever thought about a career in auto sales or the legal profession? :D

Back