LC200N Customs - Books Closed

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
As many of you are aware, LC200N is an exceptional steel that does everything well. It holds a good edge, often said to be on par with the edge holding of S30V. But it is also fine grained, and thus tough, so it can actually take a finer edge than S30V. And to top it all off, it is also rustproof (hence Spyderco's use of it in their Salt series).

I have enough LC200N coming for a small run of knives. Get with me soon to reserve yourself a piece of it.

Extra note: LC200N has also been known by the terms Z-Finit, and Cronidur-30.

David - what will be the stock thickness your working with in this run of steel?

Ah yes, I should have mentioned that. 0.136", or just under 3.5 mm. A very serviceable thickness for just about anything. Good for a machete, a nice strong EDC, and even suitable for a kitchen knife, as long as it is ground thin (which I do). You can bet I'll be making myself a neck knife out of it with a skeletonized tang. ;)

oh yes, yes, this is very cool

I don't have that much experience with it, but I'm convinced it's essentially a better AEB-L, as that's a great steal already!

will you have an constraints in terms of dimensions other than thickness?

would you be able to grind it down to more like 2.5mm or about 0.100"?

I agree with your assessment. And yes, it would be a relatively simple matter to thin it down like you say. Feel free to shoot me an email.

As many of you are aware, LC200N is an exceptional steel that does everything well. It holds a good edge, often said to be on par with the edge holding of S30V. But it is also fine grained, and thus tough, so it can actually take a finer edge than S30V. And to top it all off, it is also rustproof (hence Spyderco's use of it in their Salt series).

I have enough LC200N coming for a small run of knives. Get with me soon to reserve yourself a piece of it.

Extra note: LC200N has also been known by the terms Z-Finit, and Cronidur-30.
How about something similar to the CRK professional soldier but with a 4 inch blade?

Okay friends, the sheet has arrived, and the real estate is selling out fairly quick. Here's what it looks like so far, and if you want to reserve a spot on here, let me know soon, because this will be sent to the waterjet guys within a short time from now.

LC200N Steel sheet for nesting profiles WIP.jpg

D DMG I'll PM you

Done Martin, and I had another request for one after you as well. That Street Beat pattern is popular.

To anyone else who's on the fence about getting your first David Mary custom in rustproof LC200N, the green profiles in the image below are not commissions. I can bump them off so I can fit your requests in, or I will end up making them and selling (or something in similar size) on the Exchange. You still have a small window if to get in if you want something before I draw up the CAD file and get this to the waterjet.

LC200N%20Steel%20sheet%20for%20nesting%20update%20green.jpg

After talking to the waterjet guy, it looks like I need to put 1/8" between parts. So I had to change a few designs to make room. Commissions remain untouched. Here's what I've ended up with. I have sketched it in CAD, and will be getting it and the steel to the waterjet guys later this week.

LC200N Steel sheet for nesting one eighth between parts.jpg
LC200N Blanks.jpg

Oui Monsieur. Yours is the one under the long knife, on the right in the 3D pic.

Good afternoon friends. Due to a software limitation of the waterjet company, I had to redraw the designs using lines instead of splines, resulting in slightly blocky blanks, but I just picked them up today and I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Clean up will be a snap. I'll prep the blades for heat treatment, and hope to ship them off to @JTknives for heat treatment on Monday.

At this time, the ones not yet spoken for are the following:

Long boning knife, top right;
Large EDC spear point, second from top left;
Small EDC wharncliffe, and straight spine, right under the spear point;
Long, slim wharncliffe necker, bottom.

They will probably be Knife Exchange knives, but I will probably keep one or three for myself. I really have my eye on the spear point and the two beneath it.

IMG_8887.JPG

The one on the left just above the very bottom one is for my dad.

Macho Heart Icon.png

Still a little bit or profile grinding to do and even up the jimping on one or two of them, but other than that these are just about ready to go out for heat treatment.

IMG_8910.JPG
IMG_8903.JPG
IMG_8906.JPG
IMG_8907.JPG
IMG_8908.JPG
IMG_8912.JPG
IMG_8913.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG
IMG_8904.JPG
IMG_8909.JPG

I managed to squeeze one more little blade out of the remaining steel left by the waterjet process. It's going to be heat treated with the rest of them. Shipped them all to Jarod today.

One more.jpg

Ended up saving weight by going with a pin slot instead of holes.
IMG_8949.jpg

Back