Le Pointu - Born In Marseille by Xavier Conil and Laurent Monnier

Hi,

I have updated my blog with that new creation from the South of France.
Xavier is well known for his perfectionnist blacksmithing skills and friendly approach to outdoors reliable tools.

Laurent Monnier always wanted to do a knife in honor of Marseille. This one is the last offspring of their prolific association. The chisel ground blade is D2 tool steel. The scales can be carbon fiber or Olive wood or white G10...
This is a really well thought EDC knife: light, solid and friendly !

http://nemoknivesreview.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/le-pointu/

pointu1.jpg

I don't care for chisel grinds, but that looks like an interesting design.

Very clear overview of and interesting knife! I like the attention to detail and usability on this iteration of the Pointu.

It interesting to see concept of the one sided folder develop into new versions by different manufacturers.

JD

P1090749.jpg

Le Pointu caught in serious business: ham slicing ! :D A role in which chisel grounded blades are perfect !

I wish they'd put the flat on the other side of the blade so when your cutting as a righty it would work better with a right handed style of cutting. These would be perfect for lefties except the locks on the wrong side. I see it as kind of backwards. Nothing against the knife just trying to understand why the flat side is on the right. When you slice away from yourself it would be better for the chisel grind to be facing up....like in real chisels, but time and time again I see makers take the opposite approach. Yes I have used chisel grinded knives that are set up this way, I just cant for the life of me see the advantage after using them.

I agree Barrabas74. There certainly is a right vs. left handed chisel grind, and these are for lefties. To me, the knife is an intriguing mix of contrasts. Left handed chisel plus right handed lock. Slim profile, large button on pivot. The name is Pointu, but it's almost a sheepsfoot. Looks cool :)

It was the same concept with the K.I.S.S.: You got the chisel ground à la Emerson.
What was E.E. quote about his chisel grounded blades on the "wrong" side BTW ? :D

Anyway, you need to have a chisel ground blade for that kind of "open" flat design: once closed against the liner, the edge is not "catching" anything.
P1090765.jpg

P1090766.jpg

Last edited:
That is one of the things I am looking forward too finding out when mine arrives. How the chisel edge will perform utility tasks.

As they say, the prove of the pudding (or ham, as the case may be...) is in the eating. So the prove of the edge is in the cutting. :D

JD

Yes with that kind of lefty chisel, the drag toward the right can be noticed when you cut a large leaf of cardboard for example but is un-noticed on every day cutting: strings, bread, carrots...;)

Nemo, I don't agree that it is un-noticed on every day cutting. I have two knives, one with right hand grind and one with left. I bought the right hand grind (I am right handed) and liked it, that's why I bought the other chisel grind that was left handed. I believed the dealer who told me it didn't make a difference, although the maker of the first knife was adamant that it was important. To me it made a big difference in every day cutting. I got rid of the "left handed" knife and have kept and used the "right" one for 10 years now.

Cool knife & thanks for sharing. I think any real problems with that grind are due to emotions more than physics. If you simply tilt this acute chisel crind a few degrees, it will cut like any v-grind. I have never found it any problem with doing that, but then again I like chisel grinds.

Today I picked up mine from the post office. Here are some of my first impressions:
- It is different, interesting and fun.
- Good quality! It feel very well put together and finished. There is no blade play and the it locks up solid jet is easy to unlock. The cf looks and feel great.
- It was reasonably sharp, it could shave arm hair but had trouble cutting rope. So to the stones is went! now it can split hair and easily cut rope. :D

I am going to edc for a while and get to know it better.

JD
edc180611.jpg

P1090785.jpg

Le Pointu in its daily task: taking care of the Aperitif...
Taking also care of many task with flying colors !
Razor sharp and great ergonomy: what an EDC !!!

I was cutting cardboard today to process some boxes in the basement. The chisel drag was easily controled (Emerson's fans will agreed in this) but I was surprised how D2 was restored to razor (I actually cut my lips twice sucking the blade...:rolleyes:) just by stropping it on leather....

Le Pointu in its daily task: taking care of the Aperitif...
Taking also care of many task with flying colors !
Razor sharp and great ergonomy: what an EDC !!!

I was cutting cardboard today to process some boxes in the basement. The chisel drag was easily controled (Emerson's fans will agreed in this) but I was surprised how D2 was restored to razor (I actually cut my lips twice sucking the blade...:rolleyes:) just by stropping it on leather....

Ouch, that sound uncomfortable!
I am getting to know mine better all the time. I can open it with one hand smoothly in a few different ways. I have not found anything where the chisel was a problem. The journey continues :)

JD

Hey guys, one of these just came into my possession and I gotta say I really like it! Can anyone tell me if my sample is also a D2? I wanna say s30v but that might be wishful thinking.

Last edited:
I have just asked to Xavier. Waiting for his answer.... I think it is D2 on all batch but he will confirm. :)

Xavier told me "This model is made by Dozorme and the steel is XR50"

X50CrMov (AKA 1.4116 / 420MOV) steel has ideal properties for the manufacture of kitchen knives This type is the most used in cutlery in Germany, where it is also most often manufactured. So much so that it is very often called "German steel". X50CrMov15 is used by all large manufacturers of kitchen knives.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/1.4116.shtml

Last edited:
I have just asked to Xavier. Waiting for his answer.... I think it is D2 on all batch but he will confirm. :)

Xavier told me "This model is made by Dozorme and the steel is XR50"

X50CrMov (AKA 1.4116 / 420MOV) steel has ideal properties for the manufacture of kitchen knives This type is the most used in cutlery in Germany, where it is also most often manufactured. So much so that it is very often called "German steel". X50CrMov15 is used by all large manufacturers of kitchen knives.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/1.4116.shtml

Thanks very muchly!

Back