Learn to spot em! - Post 2004 Schrade Replica Knives

Just a gues but I wouldn't think the knife would have been packaged in a plastic wrapper.

Great Topic Hal :thumbup:

Packaging:
Everlastingly Sharp should not have "Trade" and "Mark" wrapped around it (I think?)
Schrade Walden Cutlery scroll should have more detail in the rolled areas

AND, most important !!!
NOT GUARANTEED - ALL USA Schrades were Guaranteed

-- Howie

Yes, the artwork and text is entirely different than the original inserts. At least on the example I own, an 881Y. The bottom panel on mine has the guarantee (I don't see a lifetime gurantee on the subject knife package) followed by Schrade Walden Cutlery Corp. Ellenville, N.Y. It does not say "Made in USA". And my knife does not have bolster pins since my example was made on the Swinden keyhole pattern. Mine also has the long "matchstrike" nail nick.

I'm aware of those newer USA-made reproductions but am not an expert in their identification, nor owner of an original. In order to be convinced that it's an original, I'd want to see an "Ellenville" or "Imperial-Schrade Corp" printed somewhere on the packaging.

I wouldn't bite at this one.

All correct answers. This is a round bolstered knife, and yellow. Not much chance of pre-73 in a tube that fits the bill, and the 896K in yellow is rare (and has threaded bolsters). I can think of two of them Taylor made, the SW897 and SW787. The backwards placement of the knife is not true evidence, and either is not showing blades in the photos adds to the suspicion in my part. For certain the packaging card said Ellenville on the authentic paperwork for the plastic "view pak" edition knives.

...and I'm sitting here looking at the exact knife and package....pity he didnt open it <or did he? why would one just believe that part of the story?>... all he had to do was lift off the end plastic cap which would have revealed its 5 minutes old with 'Used Under Licence from Taylor Cutlery,LLC and even mentions the Schrade factory closed in 2004....the end flaps would show through the plastic caps 'SWA880Y' on both ends <which of course seller was careful not to show>...my box wording is also identical to those photos in the listing and it does state Made in USA all part of the dupe to make you buy before you open up and see it is not an original Schrade Walden made prior to 1973...this was made when the name was being used by anyone so authorised by Taylor paying their money for the name.......
That seller well knew what he was actually selling by what he hid, rather than what he showed, and likewise by now unfortunately so will the bidder,......that knife is actually turned upside down by shaking within the tube so that the 'SCHRADE' shield which is a dead giveaway was also not showing........I originally paid about $8 for my example which I purchased purely out of morbid curiosity...yes its a clunker of a knife......Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Per the description, "Circa 1960's" would be correct. But the sheath is not original to that knife. It is an original replacement sheath though. My NIB example with those exact markings has the original waffleweave impressed faux leather sheath, folded and leather laced, choil retainer strap and fiber/aluminum sheath insert.

Time and time again I have said, "Americans have always been proud of the things they make."
If it is not proudly stamped &#8220;USA&#8221; or &#8220;made in USA&#8217;&#8217; there is a good chance it was not made in the USA&#8230; Ken
If a seller dose not say or show the USA on a knife, it is a good chance it is a dud.

Ken, the Catch 22 here is the tang stamp would state SCHRADE WALDEN N.Y. U.S.A. and also the exterior of the box does state 'Made in the U.S.A.'...its only when you open the box you realize the whole thing was a marketing scam to capitalise on the original history and to imply the same quality of the original Schrade Walden pre 1973.......the knife does not sit comfortably in the hand as does the original as its all unsmooth "corners".....unfortunately it makes it all too easy for unethical sellers and unwary buyers to consumate a deal based largely on the mis-conception of what they are really buying........P.S. mine has the etch "Everlastingly Sharp"...it isn't even sharp to start with ..very blunt...they could not even emulate the original edge on these Stockman's......Hoo Roo

Right. Serial AW000000. All of the numeric-only serialed knives were made first. And not in 1973. "AW" was nearer the end of serialization, after A000000, B00000 etc.. But don't confuse the seller with facts. You won't change his mind and his price won't change. It is a nice knife though.

I know where three LB7s just like that sit with price stickers of 45.00 plus tax.

Been sitting there for years too.

Re the 1973 LB7....which would be rare as it was made 10 years before it was actually made....after the first listing which didnt sell this seller then tried to get a friend in Australia to offload this exact polished knife on Aussie Ebay with the same false spiel....I contacted that seller and advised him that for ANY LB7 to have been made even in the late 70's when they were first manufactured, it would definately have had different Tang stamping <no Uncle Henry>,different number of handle pins,different serial number,different sheath shape and in a different color,different stud on sheath,likely different box and he was mis-representing to state 1973..his reply was that he was only new & knew nothing about LB7's <obviously the knife was not even in his possession in Australia which he indicated it was in his item location.. and if it sold would no doubt have been sent from the U.S. which also begs the question why state a definate date if he knew nothing....it did not sell on Aussie Ebay either at that outrageous price...and the beat goes on........Caveat emptor....Hoo Roo.

Re the 1973 LB7....which would be rare as it was made 10 years before it was actually made....after the first listing which didnt sell this seller then tried to get a friend in Australia to offload this exact polished knife on Aussie Ebay with the same false spiel....I contacted that seller and advised him that for ANY LB7 to have been made even in the late 70's when they were first manufactured, it would definately have had different Tang stamping <no Uncle Henry>,different number of handle pins,different serial number,different sheath shape and in a different color,different stud on sheath,likely different box and he was mis-representing to state 1973..his reply was that he was only new & knew nothing about LB7's <obviously the knife was not even in his possession in Australia which he indicated it was in his item location.. and if it sold would no doubt have been sent from the U.S. which also begs the question why state a definate date if he knew nothing....it did not sell on Aussie Ebay either at that outrageous price...and the beat goes on........Caveat emptor....Hoo Roo.
Do you know when they started using Alpha in the serial numbers? Mine was purchased new in the late seventies, maybe early eighties by me at Cravens Gun Haven. The serial number has no alpha in it, and is only 4 digits long. # 7100.
-Bruce

G'day Bruce, late 70's would be right....Codgers' research on the LB7's has already revealed the following:
17,693 first produced in 1977.......Numbers 17694 to 334585 were then produced in 1978......Numbers 334586 to 785250 were produced in 1979......yours is a very early number made in 1977. I believe Codger has one numbered 326. Trust this helps. Hoo Roo.

Back