Learn to spot em! - Post 2004 Schrade Replica Knives

this one just finished the bidding cycle and was wondering if it falls into this category. it does not look genuine Schrade to me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151083385978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's 'different' that's for sure. HP2? That's funny either way. Not familiar with the blue handles (laminated dyed wood, Dymondwood or whatever?), but it could have been one of the Heritage releases. Box is good. The sheath - I'll dig mine out tonight and compare.

this one just finished the bidding cycle and was wondering if it falls into this category. it does not look genuine Schrade to me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151083385978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's a newly finished (handled) blank paired with what seller thinks you want to see, same as all the others we see floating around these days. Wood handles + small rivets (pins)!

The HP2 was from the second "Heritage" series of knives from 1997. Most in the series featured maroon delrin handles. The HP2 was the centre-piece with burnt sambar stag handles and "Everlastingly Sharp" etch:
SC97-087.jpg

As far as the box this knife has been paired with goes, I think a PH2E was a Pro Hunter 2 Europe with natural sambar stag handles though I may be remembering incorrectly.

Last edited:
The listing said that the box MAY NOT be included. I am sure that the box (which he is keeping?) is indeed for the European market.

Looks like a “genuine” blade made by Schrade before 2004. I don’t know if those blades were tempered, or not.
Scales are wrong, HP2 is wrong, rivers are wrong, box is wrong.
However, the sheath could be OK if it is stamped “Schrade” on the back.
Dave is spot on, that knife did not fool Old Dave.

This seller has form, look at his previous sales. He has sold "New Schrades” for under $6.

I have just found another seller on eBay, selling the same knives with “only 8 available”.
It looks like he is using the same photos with the same box. He states, “box not included”.
$T2eC16JHJH8E9qSEUgvDBQpp+Be)0!~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:
Here's some pics showing a real HP2 with it's stag handles, etch, correct box and bling. I want one!

HP201_zps414b291f.jpg

HP202_zpsae6edae9.jpg

HP203_zpsf20b5271.jpg

HP204_zps46169db5.jpg

Last edited:
HP201_zps414b291f.jpg

Thanks, Dave. I browsed the Schrade Collectors website and didn't see anything like that.

I note that Dave's example, has the same "HP2" stampping.
It could stand for; maybe "Heritage Pro"
Dave, if you find a big box of those knives put me down for one... Ken

The more you look, the more you find.
There is about six or seven sellers on eBay selling these knives, and most of them have a number of knives for sale.
All of them show the Schrade box; and all state the box showing, may not come with the knife.
Not one of them have papers and bling???

I have seen Rolex watches selling for $25 that come in a Rolex box. The seller will never sell the box.

Last edited:
These kind of sellers often do not have the knives they are selling, they only list them for the distributor and they are drop shipped. This is true of many sellers who use the same stock pictures for the same knife.

Here is another great example

here is one. just looking around and noticed someone selling a Schrade Cut Co. knife, 886UH. am i correct in thinking that Schrade Cut Co. did not have the Uncle Henry brand. this came much later under Schrade Walden?

here is one. just looking around and noticed someone selling a Schrade Cut Co. knife, 886UH. am i correct in thinking that Schrade Cut Co. did not have the Uncle Henry brand. this came much later under Schrade Walden?

Schrade used the "Schrade Cut Co" stamp on some of their later knives. However, the 886UH was made by Camillus in the 1970s. Ken

Note: The 886UH has only one pin showing, Camillus have visible pivot pins showing in the bolsters. Schrade cover their pivot pins.
image.php

Last edited:

The 886UH is indeed a Camillus made Schrade issue. It came in the brown box with the red COA. There is a similar 898UH with one pin. If you search for either the 898UH or 886UH on the forum, you will find they have been discussed several times in the past.

I thought my fellow collectors in the U.S. would like to see how one seller in Australia, sells the “New Schrade Knives”

"The Schrade Old Timer name has been around for over 100 years. Over the years this brand has earned the reputation for toughness and reliability.
About 2 years ago the original Schrade went bankrupt and after it's collapse all assets were sold off to pay creditors.
These assets were sold off to a number of companies. Taylor Cutlery in U.S.A. purchased the rights to the name and models- they did not buy the company or stock and cannot do warranty on the old models."

"The new knives are made with better updated U.S. machinery and upgraded components.
The steel is 440C high Carbon Stainless steel with a rockwell hardness of 59-60. Taylor Cutlery has gone to great pains to maintain the quality and improve on it.
They have their own production control and the finalised product is better than ever. Schrade, Old Timer, Uncle Henry, X Timer, Schrade Badger, Scrade Lightweight are all stocked by BK Bits, and We carry the warranty on knives we sell."

Last edited:
I thought my fellow collectors in the U.S. would like to see how one seller in Australia, sells the “New Schrade Knives”

"The Schrade Old Timer name has been around for over 100 years. Over the years this brand has earned the reputation for toughness and reliability.
About 2 years ago the original Schrade went bankrupt and after it's collapse all assets were sold off to pay creditors.
These assets were sold off to a number of companies. Taylor Cutlery in U.S.A. purchased the rights to the name and models- they did not buy the company or stock and cannot do warranty on the old models."

"The new knives are made with better updated U.S. machinery and upgraded components.
The steel is 440C high Carbon Stainless steel with a rockwell hardness of 59-60. Taylor Cutlery has gone to great pains to maintain the quality and improve on it.
They have their own production control and the finalised product is better than ever. Schrade, Old Timer, Uncle Henry, X Timer, Schrade Badger, Scrade Lightweight are all stocked by BK Bits, and We carry the warranty on knives we sell."

Two years ago? Well, for starters that's not right. And he tries to lead the buyer to believe that they are still U.S.A. made? :rolleyes:
-Bruce

The new knives are made with better updated U.S. machinery and upgraded components.
That's not true, except a small run of Schrades that were made by Great Eastern.

The steel is 440C high Carbon Stainless steel with a rockwell hardness of 59-60.
I doubt it. First off, I've never heard 440C referred to as "high carbon stainless." That sounds more like 440A.
Not even the Taylor Brands website makes such claims. In fact neither 440A or 440C are listed on the Taylor Brands steel chart.

The Taylor catalog lists most of their knives as 9Cr18Mo or 7Cr17, calling both "high carbon stainless".

Taylor Cutlery has gone to great pains to maintain the quality and improve on it.

Well, they couldn't hardly do worse with the Imperial line than the Irish did. :p

p.s. Their brown Old Timer handles look like butt compared to the original dyed Delrin.

At 16:46 PST on December 31st, some nameless soul will own this fake (or is it a fake of a fake?). The tang stamp is 440 GERMAN STAINLESS.

...notice the "L" of the shield 'OLD TIMER' is a small "l".......I would say a very cheap 440 stainless perhaps 'German' Cottage Industry made...with the false shield stuck on....why would anyone bother...or more to the point why would anyone buy it........?.....but I have the same opinion about Taylor made Schrades whilst the USA 'Real Deals' still exist.......Hoo Roo.

Well spotted Cal....although it does stand out like dogs dates...

Back