Learn to spot em! - Post 2004 Schrade Replica Knives

The only 'fakes' are the ones made offshore after the 2004 closure of Imperial Schrade. The tangs of these are not stamped: "Schrade/U.S.A. 8OT".
roland

There are many Old Timer tang stamps, even multiple variations among the same model, depending on age. One thing they all have in common, "USA."

The imported Old Timers have multiple tang stamp variations as well. I've seen "SCHRADE - HANDMADE" and plain "SCHRADE." There could be others.

If the seller doesn't show the tang stamp or only shows blurry pictures, be wary. Ask for better pictures, or ask the seller exactly what the tang stamp says.

Right; an 8OT could also be stamped Schrade/N.Y. USA (mid 1970's) or Schrade Walden USA (1960-72).
If you are in doubt you could email me by clicking on my name and send me the ebay link.
roland

thanks for the great advice, i have gotten the eye already for what u mentioned above. is there any concern with fakes on this model? i do see a rare couple over $100 but im not looking for one in that condition, any of the ones listed around $20 look just fine to me, probablly no concern there.

You might also look for the Schrade stockman knives with the pattern number 881 (jigged handles) or 881Y (yellow handles). These are open stock knives which for all practical purposes are identical to the 8OT (Old Timer) stockman. These go up for sale in good quantities also. Now then, at some point you might also want to look at a very similar but smaller Schrade stockman knife by Schrade, the 34OT or the openstock 834. These are 3 5/16 inches closed, whereas the #8 pattern is 3 7/8 inches closed. Both would have good function as whittling knives. The 34 pattern is for sale on ebay by the tens of thousands at extremely reasonable prices. Don't let a little dirt or tarnish throw you off; look for "full" blades. But wait! There's more! There is also an old Schrade pattern called the 804, which is also a 3 blade knife which is even more adapted to whittling. Look for one with plastic handles. These will be a little pricier than the user grade #8 and #34, but if you watch you can get one for not too much money (pm me). I would like to see your whittling results when you get your blisters and finger nicks healed up.

hey. ive recently been pointed in the direction of getting a schrade stockman 8OT. trying to start a new hobby of whittling and heard the 3 blade clip/spey/wharny and carbon steel is a good start. not being experienced with schrade and weary of the fakes this thread has enlightened me to (page 3 had a seller i had on my watch list http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-VINTAGE...item43a90de838 ). any help of what i shoud look out for? NOT looking for collection purpose with the orginal box ect.

gunna join AAPK and check there also. thanks.

ps. i know usa made were ment to last a lifetime, but would too much age on it be asking for it, to be used as a whittling knife? condition plays a part i know.

The number at the end of your link does not have enough numbers for an Ebay item. :confused:

Last edited:
I have to agree. The closeups of the blade look HORRIBLE! And the money he's asking is too much even if it were a real Schrade USA. :rolleyes:
-Bruce

It's a replica for dead certain. However, a NIB LB2 that is USA made will easily sell for over $100.00 on Ebay, worth it or not. The USA made LB2's were made by Schrade for K-Mart in the Mid 1980's. They were never listed in Schrade catalogs. They have somewhat been grouped in with the 3rd Gen Series as far as collectibility. And you are right Dave, that knife above Bruce posted can be bought for $10 to $15 all day long.

LB2_f.jpg

LB2_f3.jpg

I sold this one exactly two years ago this month and got about $160.00 for it.

...a NIB LB2 that is USA made will easily sell for over $100.00 on Ebay, worth it or not... I sold this one exactly two years ago this month and got about $160.00 for it.

Yup, that's why the knife caught my eye. Buy at $75.00 sell at $150.00, worth it or not. For $75.00 it had to be USA, right? Then I saw what was actually for sale. Never assume!

The knife is now sold less than 24 hours later. Sellers ploy worked. Someone paid the price so they must believe they bought an Ellenville knife as listed. I hope my post ensured that it wasn't anyone here that got taken.

Last edited:
I find knives selling on eBay that show few and very poor photos need to be approach with caution.
Only last week there was a Schrade D’holder for sale on ebay for Buy-it-Now $500.
"This Prototype knife with no serial number came from the factory in 2004."
When I emailed the seller and suggested the crack in the handle, was the reason the knife did not a serial number – the seller’s reply was
“ that is not a photo of the actual knife”. Then the knife was removed from eBay.

There is so many storyes of one-off and very rare Schrade knives to be found. That LB2 is just another seller to keep away from... Ken

Here's a knife that was auctioned off a while back. I can't recall ever hearing a verdict on this one. Knife is stamped "WALDEN" over "KNIFE Co" over "MADE IN USA". Does anyone know who made these and when? My gut says post-2004 and not an Imperial Schrade or original Walden Knife Co.

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG

Dave that is what my gut said also. have never seen just Walden on a tang before. might have been made for Taylor by one of the US knife companies?

Here's a knife that was auctioned off a while back. I can't recall ever hearing a verdict on this one. Knife is stamped "WALDEN" over "KNIFE Co" over "MADE IN USA". Does anyone know who made these and when? My gut says post-2004 and not an Imperial Schrade or original Walden Knife Co.

It's a Bear & Company post 2004 replica. One pin is a solid clue.

Bear made a stockman, a muskrat, a trapper, and a "razor blade" knife. They all have this same shield and box, and, as Hal said, ONE rocker pin for the springs. No separate handle pins. The bone is generally attractive, and they seem to be put together ok. I have no idea how good the steel is. They are, of course, post-2004 knives.

Thanks for the replies. I knew I'd seen 'em before and the other patterns vaguely ring a bell as well. Thanks for nailing down Bear as the maker. It didn't look like a Camillus, Great Eastern or Utica to me and I was a bit stumped.

As an aside, I recently sold the '90s Bear contribution to NAHC's "Hunting Heritage Collection" to a hunter friend. Stag guthook... It took a really keen edge. I sharpened it some before he got it. He really likes it. Real nice stag too but it's not a Schrade so it had to go ;)

Bear.jpg

Last edited:
The Bear & Sons Sharpfinger copies are among the few post closure copies by other makers I have not yet bought for examination.

I am noteing a current flood of "Schrade Walden 65th Anniversary" Sharpfingers on that auction site right now. I hope no one reads the errors on the Sharpfinger WIKI and buys them, attributing their "collectability" to me. I never said a Schrade Walden Sharpfinger exists, only that if a production knife so stamped (genuinely) did emerge, it would be a rarity. So far no such critter has been seen that I know of, even though the pattern was born and first produced on the cusp of the name change in late 1972 - early 1973.

Back