1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Learning slipjoint recovers. Recommend me a budget grinder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Signalprick, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Hello,
    I am very slowly learning about doing slipjoint knife recovering. I've invested in some basic tools that I didn't already own (Dremel work station and moto saw). So now I'm thinking about a belt sander or grinder but I'm a little undecided on what I'd need. Definitely on a budget here. Any recommendations on a decent machine worth picking up and learning on? Right now I'm using hand power with sand paper btw. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    they have a tiny 1x30" belt grinder at harbor freight, and the next step up would be a grizzly or coote grinder.

3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    A good 1 X 42" belt grinder will work out better than a 1 X 30. More power and the belts last longer.

12345678910 likes this.
  4. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    Saddly I am affraid that there is no budget grinder out there. You either have to buy one or make one. Making one only makes sense if you have the tools to cut/drill/weld the structure so you only need to buy the wheels. And even then, they can cost some money.

5. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I was looking pretty hard at a Jet 2 x 42 belt and disk sander and I'll probably end up going that route eventually. In the meantime I probably wasted $85 but I've seen a couple guys say that these cheap mini belt sanders actually aren't half bad. So what the hay. I ordered one to give a try. Probably about the same as buying from Harbor Freight.
    20190917_111601.jpg

6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Those grinders are tiny! They make a 1 X 30 grinder look like a 2 X 72!
    Sorry, but Harbor Freight 1 X 30s are cheaper and much more useful.

Ken H> and AVigil like this.
  7. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    Northridge has their "Mod-E" grinder for something like $475 shipped. You just need a motor and a controller (VFD). I've seen plenty of good 3 phase motors for $50, and you can now find up to 2hp VFDs for aroun $60 on eBay, so for around $700 you can potentially get as good of a grinder as you'll ever need, and one that can be expanded in the future with different attachments and work rests and whatnot.

Signalprick likes this.
  8. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    You should consider a DISC sander...nothing gets thin material like Slipjoint covers flat like a Disc sander. You can manually flatten the inside surface with a granite surface plate or piece of glass as a flat surface BUT a disc will do it in the blink of an eye.

Signalprick likes this.
  9. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Another reason I'm looking hard at the Jet 2x42. You get a disk and a belt for around $500. It seems to be a reasonably versatile machine. Afaik Jet is pretty good quality and it won't break my bank account.

10. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    I just wanted to follow up. That little Chinese built grinder actually doesn't do to bad. I've recovered 2 knives so far with good results. It takes a 1 1/8" x 21 belt which I pretty much have to order online for the higher grits. I'm not advocating anyone rush out to buy one and I full intend to upgrade sooner than later but its definitely helping me learn on the cheap and its adequately versatile for my current skills.

11. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Don't forget to take off the motor cover and vacuum out the motor after every use. That's not a TEFC motor and dust will kill it quickly.

12. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    I mean, your just knocking some rust off some blades and refinishing them, right? No need to go all crazy with belt sanders. Shoot if it were me i would just hand sand.....

As far as handle material goes, a little disk sander would be the best bet. But you still have to figure 8 sand on a flat plat to get a good flat surface because of the uneven pressure and sanding speeds on a disk.

The problem with buying tools is eventually you run out of space to store your ill suited tools and you begin not wanting to buy better tools because you dont have the space and you already spent money on some tool that can technically do the job albeit poorly.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  13. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Just finished up this Case Barlow. New vintage linen covers, swedge grind on the blade and flushed the spring and liners. Good point on cleaning the motor. It has a dust cover but I still shop vac everything clean when I'm done playing everytime. I'll def. upgrade when the funds allow. Having some fun in the meantime.
    20191011_161936.jpg

20191011_161954.jpg

20191011_162007.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  14. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    Looks like a great start to me

Signalprick likes this.
  15. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    nice looking knife now.
    Welcome to the addiction

Signalprick likes this.
  16. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    If you use a flex shaft as a regular tool, take a look at the Wolf or Ikohe mini-belt attachment. It is a 1X10 belt sander made for small tasks. I use it on minis and folders. The Wolf can use the GRS bench mount system. Both have a vac port for sucking away dust and grit.
    [​IMG]

Ikohe model ( I can't see any real difference).
    [​IMG]

17. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    I literally just upgraded my old dremel to the 4000 unit Friday. No flex shaft yet but that looks darn nifty. I'll definitely look into this. Thanks! :thumbsup: