Leather and Kydex by Martin Swinkels

Read a few posts Martin made about combination leather/kydex sheaths he was making for Swamp Rat knifes, and had just gotten a new Ratmandu in, so thought I would get him to make one up for me. The stitching and craftsmanship are top notch on the leather, and the kydex gives you that satisfying click that let's you know the knife is locked into place and not going anywhere. Here are the results:

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

Also had Martin add a dangler to the sheath, as I often carry a knife on my belt with a pack on, and this will fit nicely under the pack belt:

IMG_1718.jpg

I really like this type of sheath, seems to combine the strength and durability of kydex with the natural beauty of leather, so gives you the best of both worlds! The leather and kydex feel like they are bonded together, no slipping of any kind. Martin also has a nice screw system on there to adjust the retention on the knife so you can dial it in just how you like it. With the kydex and 2 retention straps in place, your blade just is not going anywhere until you want it to. Blade draw is nice and smooth, and the leather around the top of the kydex feels extremely stiff and gives you ample room to place your thumb for a one-handed draw.

IMG_1717.jpg

Excellent sheath system for those who want the benefits of kydex with the traditional good looks of leather.

Thanks mate !! :):thumbup:
I'm glad you like it.

Now, for those who ask themselves why, or if, 2 retentionstraps are needed, you don't. Upper strap is only for keeping the blade from swaying uncomfortable when on the move. The dangler piece is removable without loosening the belt it hangs from.

More info you'll find in this thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553532

Have a nice Day!
martin

RatSheaths01.jpg

Congrats on the awesome sheath! I really wanted a RMD, but I got a Scrap Yard DMCG instead because the price was right. Plus, the RMD is just another variation of the DMCG.

Last edited:
Can you show some more pics of the dangler set-up? I would like to see how that works but I can't see how it attaches to the regular sheath.

Martin does excellent work, I'm sure you love it.

That is a REALLY beautiful sheath! I love the idea of leather AND kydex together!! That is simply brilliant!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Martin, your sheaths ARE spectacular!!

Back