Leather benders?

So, I've been pootling around the idea of getting into leather crafting for a while. I just received an Amazon gift card, and it seems as good a time as any to get some basic tools.

I've read through a bunch of threads in the "Sheaths and Such" sub-forum, so I have a basic idea of some of the more necessary tools, but I was wondering if any of you fine folks have tips, tricks, or product suggestions for a newbie.

I'm currently looking at tool lines from Tandy and C.S. Osborne, and I'm thinking of starting out with some C. S. Osborne 000 Harness needles and scratch awl, a Tandy #2 Edge Beveler, Tandy wood slicker, Tandy Stitch Groover, and Tandy Safety Skiver.

I have both a Tandy store and Hobby Lobby local to me, so I'll pick up leather and thread from there.

What contact cement do you guys like? What grit sand papers (if any) do y'all use for edges? What clamps and pliers? Is a Stitching Pony something to seriously consider?

I'm not looking to make a business out of this. I'd like to make some sheath and slips for my knives, maybe a belt and wallet. Really introductory stuff to dick around with as a stress relief/way to unwind instead of sitting in front of the TV.

So, do we have any leather benders in this fine community of the JK Knives sub-forum? Thanks in advance for any ideas, and, as always, pictures make everything better!

I can post pictures once i get off work. But for starters the tools mentioned above are a good starting point and pretty much all you need for basic stuff id just add maybe a 4 prong and a 2 prong stitching chisel if you feel the need for them. Defiantly try to get your leather from Tandy because hobby lobby only sells stomachs and the quality is terrible and hard to work with compared to Tandy.

The contact cement I use is just weld wood from lowes or home depot and its been working great for me. I personally think a stitching pony is unnecessary, but a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the needle straight through the leather is a must and will save your needles in the long run. When I use sandpaper I try to use a 180 grit for harsher removal/straightening edges then 400 grit and 1000 grit for finer finishing details. To get a good buffed finish on your edges/welts I always finish with a piece of denim from some old blue jeans with gum tragacanth or tan kote for less of a sheen. Also Tandy will have better thread hobby lobby thread is definitely lower grade, and make sure its waxed.

Ill try to post more as I think of it and if you have any questions I'm always open to help!

Thanks, ty_higg ty_higg ! Good call on the multi-prong chisel. What about an overstitcher wheel?

John, that's interesting about the wood glue; I haven't heard that one before.

Thanks, ty_higg ty_higg ! Good call on the multi-prong chisel. What about an overstitcher wheel?

John, that's interesting about the wood glue; I haven't heard that one before.

Yes for sure an oversticher other than that I'd say you'd be good to go! I usually use a 4-6 stitch per inch overstich wheel. Also if you have a drill press throwing a needle in the chuck and using it as an automatic awl works awesome for the stich holes along with coating the needle in beeswax to precoat the stich hole works good also and makes the stiching easier imo.

@darkmatter35 makes some fine leather goods, and he is a JK supporter.

Perhaps he will chime in here...

best

mqqn

Back