Leather Finishes, Preservatives, and Treatments: Post Yours Here.

And then there's always that feller that points his remote (yea, brought it with him) at the fire because he doesn't like the smoke in his face!

Now THAT is a bit tipsy......... :p

btw, thanks for the info, I've got lots of good reading.

And then there's always that feller that points his remote (yea, brought it with him) at the fire because he doesn't like the smoke in his face!

Now THAT is a bit tipsy......... :p

btw, thanks for the info, I've got lots of good reading.

"And then there's always that feller that points his remote (yea, brought it with him) at the fire because he doesn't like the smoke in his face!"

2649954-6188002925-huh.j.jpg

LOL!

Yer welcome for the info :thumbup:

Coconut oil has become a staple in our home over the last few years. The high saturated fat (I believe) keeps the oil stable from rancidity for two years. In most any case the oil will be gone long before it becomes an issue. It's also antibacterial and antifungal, which makes it ideal for chopping blocks and equipment like that cabbage cutter.

If you cook with it you can buy it in refined, or unrefined forms depending on how hot your cooking needs are.

CCNO can replace butter, most cooking oil and is great for the skin and hair (your daughter is smart!). We originally stumbled on the stuff when looking for a good rash cream to use with the cloth diapers we used with our youngest child. I would have left it at that if it didn't work so dang well. Further research was a natural for me and I haven't stopped finding uses for it. It's becoming more widely available as more people realize its uses.

I wouldn't pay outrageous prices for the stuff. This is what Target stocks and it's great-

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

cloth diapers! I knew I liked you! We used them on my daughter. Please, no one let her know I said that!!!!! 16 and looking for reasons to rip into me like a chihuahua on an ankle! :eek:

I'm stealing some of her stuff for my cutting boards after I get them sanded. We found a few at local estate sales and I want to sand them real good before use.

We found hers at Costco, it was claimed "organic" but that word has lost so much meaning through the years and honestly I dont think coconut trees can benefit from any engineering.

so finally my neatsfoot oil arrived yesterday:

though i am a bit concerned about the "blended" part on the label (wasn't visible on the item description) it might be better than the obviously compound labeled one i currently have. might even make a new batch of beeswax + neatsfoot...

Alright, this seems to be the real Deal, no chemical smell, but rather a dry musky one. Also seems to darken the leather way more on the initial application.

cloth diapers! I knew I liked you! We used them on my daughter. Please, no one let her know I said that!!!!! 16 and looking for reasons to rip into me like a chihuahua on an ankle! :eek:

Yeah man, if I'd known it was gonna cost as much as it did for those boutique cloth diapers I'd have never signed off on it. Seriously. They cost more than everything I've spent on leather work combined. More than my motorcycle, that's a better comparison. Bananas.

I hear ya about organic. I (barely, but still) work in the food manufacturing business. Everything is above board, but just...

Edit- speaking of cutting boards. I bought Becky a nice end grain chopping block when I had a custom santoku commissioned. Took great care of it, oiling often with usp mineral oil and using only vinegar to clean it. I swear I went to bed one night and the next morning I woke up to this.

D2L2EQE.jpg

I have no idea at all what happened. Next time I'll buy her a Boos. Very expensive, but the above was really off-putting.

Last edited:
I have no idea at all what happened. Next time I'll buy her a Boos. Very expensive, but the above was really off-putting.

Don't buy her any booze! Then it could be you who wakes up in two pieces:D I think she pulled a "Hulk Angry" while you were asleep and snapped it in half.

For users I use a mix of beeswax/pure neatsfoot oil, not quite 50/50 but probably closer to 60/40 wax to oil. On things that most likely won't get wet like for safe queens, I'll use tankote/laquer. I work it in pretty good and keep the application very thin, it has not had any problems cracking (at least that you can see - might be some micro-cracking going on there as it does let water through). It probably can wash off, but not as easily as just running water over it, I believe the water penetration is from micro-cracking. No proof like electron-microscope pics or anything, but I tested some on a hard surface a while back and it didn't just wash off - at least not easily.

Strig, a while back I remember you baked a sheath in the oven...did you place it on that cutting board by chance?? jk :D

Nope, didn't spend big money on our diapers, though we did get a mix of the prefolded and flat. One thing we did spend more money on was bleach!

That board is repairable, it will take some really good glue, a few of those bar clamps, and a LOT of patience. Gorilla glue makes a great wood glue just for this application, its silly strong.

Course a guy could finish "Hulking" it and have 2 cutting boards?

Bah, unless they installed an exo skeleton along the titanium stuff during the op his wife is probably more hulking right now than omega.

Don't buy her any booze! Then it could be you who wakes up in two pieces:D I think she pulled a "Hulk Angry" while you were asleep and snapped it in half.

Good thinking! We don't drink so throwing some booze her way may not be the brightest of moves. :D

Now if this had happened after (what's become known as) "The Pelican Incident" I'd have to agree, but no, it was before. I'm not sure why she broke the block but clearly it was her doing.
:D

Strig, a while back I remember you baked a sheath in the oven...did you place it on that cutting board by chance?? jk :D

Haha, no block in the toaster oven.

Nope, didn't spend big money on our diapers, though we did get a mix of the prefolded and flat. One thing we did spend more money on was bleach!

That board is repairable, it will take some really good glue, a few of those bar clamps, and a LOT of patience. Gorilla glue makes a great wood glue just for this application, its silly strong.

Ya really think so? Some of the pieces are pretty gnarly, twisting in different directions. Still, I think it would be worth a shot. (

Course a guy could finish "Hulking" it and have 2 cutting boards?

I don't totally hate this idea. :)

Bah, unless they installed an exo skeleton along the titanium stuff during the op his wife is probably more hulking right now than omega.

Wait, I thought I'd made it clear that I do indeed have a new skeleton? They didn't tell me that per se, but I figure that explains the $75k price tag. [emoji14]

The $75k was just to pay off the hospital so you didn't "accidentally" get MRSA during your stay!

On another forum there is a discussion on what to use to protect the knives from corrosion. There is a lot of talk of oil or wax. I wonder if the beeswax and coconut oil concoction would work to protect the knife as well?
What say you more experienced gentleman?

Chris

I like Flitz and/or Ren Wax. A high carbon knife I treated with Flitz a few years ago is going well in spite of me storing the thing in its sheath and not cleaning it after chopping wood.

Ren Wax performs well on expensive high carbon knives as its not as abrasive as flitz and has more protection.

Preferences, everyone has a few :D

Thanks fellas. Dwayne, I had been meaning to try some Ren Wax. I think I will add it to an order I'm making.

Thank you,
Chris

Back