Leather pricing from one source

sheathmaker

Custom Leather Sheaths
I hadn't checked actual landed prices is some time and out oil curiosity I did so today.

I ordered four sides of skirting from Wickett & Craig three of which were tannery dyed totaling 99 square feet gross. The landed cost is $824.65 including freight or $8.33 per square foot gross (including odd angles and bellies.). I can't say I'm shocked, but it is a very noticeable increase from just a very few years ago when the same order would have been about $450 landed.

It is a wake up call though, because my increased prices have not yielded much increase in profit, rather just keeping up with material prices increases. Still, I can't make myself settle for lesser quality and less expensive import leather. It is what it is.

Paul

Hmm..if may I ask, what is the reasonable price for non-dyed 5/6 veg tan leather per square foot or square dm?
My current supplier calls for about 2.2 €/dm2 which results to the 26$ for 1 square foot, and I'm buying stripes of 12x24".
That is quite an expensive leather, right?

It appears that you're located in one of the European Countries ?
Yes, that seems very expensive.
Here in the USA, Wickett and Craig drum dyed skirting in the "standard" grade, which is the best they offer will cost approximately $9.50 per square foot split to your weight and delivered. They also offer 2 lesser grades for less money per square foot.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, I ordered a side on Monday. I'm waiting for them to split it and give me my total. I'll let you know once I hear from them. They just got back up and running with the full crew over the last week. They're running a week or two behind.

Hmm..if may I ask, what is the reasonable price for non-dyed 5/6 veg tan leather per square foot or square dm?
My current supplier calls for about 2.2 €/dm2 which results to the 26$ for 1 square foot, and I'm buying stripes of 12x24".
That is quite an expensive leather, right?

Taking all the factors into consideration......≥the leather may be the very highest quality imaginable, and you are buying "cut quantities" meaning exact dimensions with no angle waste, and even considering that, it is my opinion that the price is way beyond what I would consider fair and/or normal. I am not in Europe so I can't really compare, but anything over about $12 USD per square foot for cut quantities is excessive. Based on your post you are paying $52 for 2 square feet.

Paul

Yes, I come from Slovenia, Europe. That's the country, where Melania Trump is from :D

Well, in US certanly the leather is quite cheaper, I see. I would love to get in touch with a supplier and rather pay once a big larger shipping and buy leather for a few months of work, than just keep buying smaller pieces and so expensive.

Since I'm new to this forum (and I hope it's not wrong to ask for a supplier here), does anyone knows a good supplier, that ships to Europe (and has reasonable prices)?

ps: when I'm buying leather such as on photo below, what exactly I'm buying - which part of the cow is that?
(7/8 oz. veg tan leather)

s-l1000.jpg

Hard to tell on that small piece but probably cut from the back or shoulder based on the prices you quoted, but really a dimensional cut could come from just about any place on the hide. The flesh side of the leather might offer a clue. If it's not nice and tight, little or a lot fuzzy it may have come from pretty close to the belly or flanks.

I don't know if Wickett & Craig ships international from the USA. They do have a Canadian entity also. It might be worth an inquiry with them.

Thanks for giving us our First Lady!

Paul

Last edited:
Back