leather sheath

Fallbrook Forge

Gold Member
Thanks again Horsewright Horsewright for posting that leather tutorial!

Here's a very simple pouch sheath I did up over the weekend.

I used to dread the idea of trying leather work, I'm starting to enjoy it now!
Looking forward to keeping it going!

zK61jxW.jpg

Great job! Glad I could be of help. Here's another little idea for the next one. Smooth out the roughout side before ya put the sheath together. So while its still flat ya can put some Quik Slick on the roughout side and slick it with a glassing glass or a smooth piece of hardwood. Ya can also use gum tragcanath or even dampen it and use glycerin saddle soap, that'll take down some of the fuzzies and make it more uniform looking.

Like bflying said perfect stitching.

That is some nice clean work! As someone said before "the plain sheaths are the most difficult as they show every imperfection"

OP, what did you use to punch out the stitching holes? I got some stitching punches but they are the diamond shaped ones and not like how yours is. I would rather have a set up like yours but I haven't really seen too many of them. Any way you could post a link to the ones that you use?

Very nice work. I love the old copper Zippo....... You want to see something really stupid? Take a look on Ebay at the prices people are getting for a solid copper Zippo now. $200 - $250.

Last edited:
OP, what did you use to punch out the stitching holes? I got some stitching punches but they are the diamond shaped ones and not like how yours is. I would rather have a set up like yours but I haven't really seen too many of them. Any way you could post a link to the ones that you use?

I used a layout wheel from Tandy to get the spacing, then chucked up an awl(also from Tandy, I got their leather starter kit) in my drill press, used a piece of 1x1 to support the welt and pressed the awl through with the drill running. I got the awl in the drill press idea from Nick wheeler and it works great

Back