Leather Sheaths and Plain Steel?

I have an old hunting knife with a blade that is not stainless steel. It already has alot of micro-pitting from age, but still is a very nice blade. I recently bought a leather Kabar sheath for it and it fits perfectly, but I've heard that blades can rust from being stored in leather. Is this true? If so is there any treatment I can apply to the sheath or knife to prevent it?

I have a 60’s puma white hunter with the same problem. I feel like I need to get rid of the micropitting before it gets put away. Snoseal, mineral oil will prevent outside corruption, but the pitted areas can possibly go deeper, I’m thinking.

Yes, leather tends to retain water, which can promote rust. However, steel knives have been used with leather sheaths for centuries. Just keep the sheath relatively dry (waxing the outside of the sheath will help); periodically check and treat the knife with a light coat of mineral oil, and where possible store the knife outside the sheath.

n2s

^

what he said.

+ knives that have leather sheaths (any sheath probably) should be taken out of the sheath for long term storage.. Blade oiled and put away in a dry place.

Yes, leather tends to retain water, which can promote rust. However, steel knives have been used with leather sheaths for centuries. Just keep the sheath relatively dry (waxing the outside of the sheath will help); periodically check and treat the knife with a light coat of mineral oil, and where possible store the knife outside the sheath.

n2s

My question is whether the micro-pitting will cease once the blade is properly stored? Is this issue better left alone?

My question is whether the micro-pitting will cease once the blade is properly stored? Is this issue better left alone?

I’m no metallurgist but I find buffing the pits then oiling the steel helps a lot. Stops it as long as it’s taken care of from there on. Not letting it get wet and stay wet for long periods of time. Also may depend on how bad the pits are too. Have any pictures?

image.jpg Someone planed off the teeth so I know it isn’t worth anything, but I’ve always liked the design on these, wanted to know if I have to grind off the pitting at the tip.

View attachment 864475 Someone planed off the teeth so I know it isn’t worth anything, but I’ve always liked the design on these, wanted to know if I have to grind off the pitting at the tip.
I wouldn't grind anything off of it, that blade is nickel plated, and it still has quite a bit of nickel plating on it and that will still provide quite a bit of rust protection yet.

You should be OK so long as there's no active rust on the blade. I wouldn't store it in the sheath though. If you insist on doing that you might try waxing the blade to protect it.

Back