Leather thickness need advice

I am looking at buying a side of 8/10 oz Wickett & Craig Russet skirting, is this to thick for sheaths? They said it would take 4 months to get it if I wanted it cut down, thanks.

Well at least they’re being honest. I ordered one time and they said 3/4 days to split it. Bout 3 months later I got it. Anyhoo, yeah I use it on larger knives. About 8” over all length I’ll use it. Day to day I use 7/8 oz and have recently switched from Herman Oak to Wicket and Craig (last 6 or 7 sides). It’s a paler color but I’m getting used to it. I do wish I could get the russet color.

That sounds perfect weight too me :) That’s about my go to weight , I also go 10oz ++ :)
Great leather and that color will patina nicely.

I am looking at buying a side of 8/10 oz Wickett & Craig Russet skirting, is this to thick for sheaths? They said it would take 4 months to get it if I wanted it cut down, thanks.
Have to agree on the color. The number one question I get from other leather workers (mostly on our Instagram page) is "How do you get that color?". We use this leather for a wide variety of items besides sheaths. We go through sides of it pretty darn quick. I wasn't real clear in my response above. So if a knife is over 8" in oal we're probably using the russet skirting. If its under 8" oal we are using the 7/8 oz Wicket and Craig regular veggie tan. Thats the paler leather I was talking about.. If I could just order the 7/8 oz in the russet right off the shelf and not have the long wait I'd use nothing but. Its our favorite leather bar none. It cuts easy, molds well (for a heavier leather), tools exceptionally, large clear sides (much less waste on a side it seems to me year in and year out, side to side than HO), its just great leather. The holster below is the russet and the sheath is the regular Wicket and Craig veg tan. Just a different color:

3T15rD8.jpg

Back