Leather Thread

I'm pretty jealous I havent had time for any leather. All I made was a coffin pamcake sheath lately for a guy at works fancy supersteel knife.

Yeah a couple months ago I barely had time at all to think about leather and that sucked, it’s kinda like a stress reliever for me since I’m to far away from any outdoors activity like hiking or camping. But now I have the knives coming in from the contest and 5 custom orders I had to hunt down some leather for last week since almost everyone I usually buy from was out of black W&C in 3-4oz.

I
Yeah a couple months ago I barely had time at all to think about leather and that sucked, it’s kinda like a stress reliever for me since I’m to far away from any outdoors activity like hiking or camping. But now I have the knives coming in from the contest and 5 custom orders I had to hunt down some leather for last week since almost everyone I usually buy from was out of black W&C in 3-4oz.
I got tired of that and just keep a few sides around

Am I the only one that wears hand made leather work boots. Maybe it's because I grew up in a logging community. I'm cleaning and greasing them currently first I scrub them with saddle soap let them sit then final scrub while rinsing in hot water.View attachment 1188813then its to the boot dryer. No certain time just until dry View attachment 1188814after the boots are dry I usually just grease. But once a year(also how often I wash my pickup) I add a light coat of polishView attachment 1188819then back to the boot dryer till after supper. Then I'll buff them nothing serious unless it was date night with the wife then they would be shinning nice and pretty. Like my drill sergeant told me one painful morning. He said private do you know what else we mirror shine besides the heel cup and toe cap. I replied I do not know. He yelled tge whole f ing boot and hucked it out the window. If you ever spent time on sand hill you'll know what windows in talking about. I paid alot of sweat that morning View attachment 1188899 the I apply boots grease and hand rub it in all the seams and stitching no brush its clean and I made the boot look pretty already.View attachment 1188900after that back to the boot dryer and another coat of grease before bed. About halfway finished now. View attachment 1188901dont. Forget about the false tongues or laces they will last forever to if taken care of. They go through every step just like the bootsView attachment 1188902 thw boots took three light coats of grease throughout the night had to keep getting up for dang timer on the boot dryer. In the morning I wiped off the excess grease amd cleaned the eyelets and speed hooks of any grease that got in themView attachment 1189167then I pulled out the hand burnishing tools and cleaned up every edge on the bootView attachment 1189173next I wiped off the laces and false tongues relaced quick buff and my almost 16 year old work boots look brand new. Then my wofe reminds me I'm taking our sons to ride quads and I always put hours in my boots just to get them dirtu the same day. Wives will never understand. View attachment 1189174
Good to see someone looking after their boots. My dad drummed into me, buy the best footwear you can, and LOOK after them. I have a pair of R M Williams stockman boots, all leather and they have had a hard life, around horses and stables, [uric acid will destroy leather]. I have had them for over 20 years, still going. I just bought another made to measure pair 2 years ago, they will outlast me.;):thumbsup:

Small pocket sheath I made for rdrogers and his many bluegills.
View attachment 1183257 View attachment 1183258
And a pocket sheath I made for my Fletcher 24/7 my fiancée gifted me. I’ve been meaning to make this one for a while. It’s also finished with Aussie leather conditioner and mink oil. I really like this combo and it ages nicely!
View attachment 1183259 View attachment 1183260
Just been looking at some of your work, absolutely fantastic. I'm in Australia, just curious what is the leather conditioner you use?;):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good to see someone looking after their boots. My dad drummed into me, buy the best footwear you can, and LOOK after them. I have a pair of R M Williams stockman boots, all leather and they have had a hard life, around horses and stables, [uric acid will destroy leather]. I have had them for over 20 years, still going. I just bought another made to measure pair 2 years ago, they will outlast me.;):thumbsup:
Oh yeah. I'm in Alaska you would not believe the amount of people I see wearing boots that were my taken care of destroyed from all the salt in the deicer

Just been looking at some of your work, absolutely fantastic. I'm in Australia, just curious what is the leather conditioner you use?;):cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you I really appreciate that! I’m not sure if they just call it aussie leather conditioner or if y’all came up with the recipe lol but the stuff works great and I love it.

Yeah once my W&C gets in I’m gonna make some nice dyed ones. Maybe see if I can sell some on the craftsman/service provider sub forum cause I also have 4 wallets in natural I need to move.

ty_higg ty_higg could you snap a pic of one of the lighter covers with a lighter in there? Also, is the leather treated at all or would one need to add some treatment for some water resistance? I may "need" one after last week camping in the rain. Keeping in my fire tin is fine but it bangs around a bit. I'm also curious if I could slip some paper in there as a pocket fire starting kit, something even smaller than the fire tin.

There's a lot of wasted space in there so something else will make more sense I think. And tissue paper makes a really nice fire starter with a ferro rod and it's bountiful around the holidays.
LTxL3rLl.jpg

rvMDIG6l.jpg

ty_higg ty_higg could you snap a pic of one of the lighter covers with a lighter in there? Also, is the leather treated at all or would one need to add some treatment for some water resistance? I may "need" one after last week camping in the rain. Keeping in my fire tin is fine but it bangs around a bit. I'm also curious if I could slip some paper in there as a pocket fire starting kit, something even smaller than the fire tin.

There's a lot of wasted space in there so something else will make more sense I think. And tissue paper makes a really nice fire starter with a ferro rod and it's bountiful around the holidays.
LTxL3rLl.jpg

rvMDIG6l.jpg

ill post a picture after work with a lighter in it. And if I add another little leather wrap around the body of the cover you should be able to store some tissue paper in there. I know treat my leather with Aussie leather conditioner and mink oil. The Aussie is a beeswax and other natural waxed based conditioner and the mink oil also helps with water resistance. We can also talk about another option if you’d like. I’m also thinking like a small fire roll with a flap that can roll up and fit in your pocket. Like a old tool roll is my thinking.

ill post a picture after work with a lighter in it. And if I add another little leather wrap around the body of the cover you should be able to store some tissue paper in there. I know treat my leather with Aussie leather conditioner and mink oil. The Aussie is a beeswax and other natural waxed based conditioner and the mink oil also helps with water resistance. We can also talk about another option if you’d like. I’m also thinking like a small fire roll with a flap that can roll up and fit in your pocket. Like a old tool roll is my thinking.

That roll idea sounds nice. Recently used a basic dickies tool roll to carry my knives and oil on a camping trip and I was pretty impressed with what you can fit in there while keeping it small. Also easy to get stuff in and out while remaining more secure than just a set of pockets.

We'll have to chat in DM, I need to discuss some potential sheaths with you anyway, continuing our discussions from several weeks ago.

That roll idea sounds nice. Recently used a basic dickies tool roll to carry my knives and oil on a camping trip and I was pretty impressed with what you can fit in there while keeping it small. Also easy to get stuff in and out while remaining more secure than just a set of pockets.

We'll have to chat in DM, I need to discuss some potential sheaths with you anyway, continuing our discussions from several weeks ago.

Ok sounds good, and I have a price quote for a hunter model sized clip sheath I forgot to send your way that we discussed at that time.

Latest wallet for a customer I finished up Saturday. 5 pocket in my style designed to match a wallet he bought at a store that was only genuine leather, but he loved the design of it. Natural Wickett & Craig with white thread.
9976BF5F-CAF1-4518-915D-B90A222ADE53.jpeg B3B5EDD0-6F9B-4963-8C0F-44D00D74AF0D.jpeg B46AEBD2-612C-40F8-B87D-8DAFCD4AE2AF.jpeg 887170DA-DC42-4408-87A5-4A62B4AC0365.jpeg 2F8B9A03-1055-432E-84DB-C15D6C9B644D.jpeg

Here's one of his sheaths for Johns #9, fits like a glove and didn't have to send him the knife.
RVbBUdA.jpg
l0bviLy.jpg
His style reminds me of Saddleback, the quality is diffidently there.:)

Thanks for the kind words woodysone woodysone ! I’ve never had a saddleback product but based off what I’ve heard I’ll take that as a massive compliment! I hope the sheath serves you well.

Also I’m getting closer to finishing a big project for my fiancée to have for next week. A Wickett & Craig medium brown padfolio with Herman Oak natural pockets. The quick parts over now I just have to finish up the stitching.
C11FA5FA-C01A-4A9C-B5FD-A4293CD0963E.jpeg

Back