Leatherman addiction?

David Nowlin

Gold Member
Within the last year i bought what i thought was my first and only Leatherman (the wingman).
Then after a big move i lost it. So planning to purchase a new one I decided it would be an upgrade to a Wave.
But before i could buy it i tirelessly looked for the wingman. In my searching i found a Fuse i never remembered buying. It did have what looked like a company name on it and with some research (isn’t google great) i discovered it was a freebee i got from my Union at a Stewards conference i attended many years ago.
Then found the Wingman and still bought the Wave. One week instant collection lol.

I have to admit that I got crunch mostly because I wanted one. Now that I have it, it has been useful few times. I have the SwissTool spirit prior to it that has been well used. I would love to own the wave too, it’s just that I’ve had so many good memories with the Spirit and it has some wear to it so it’s hard to justify another multitool that basically does the same. :)

They do tend to multiply ;)

I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets. The one thing I simply CANNOT leave the house without feeling complete is a multitool. Along with my wrist watch and phone, it's the one piece of kit that is an ALWAYS-always part of what I keep on me. I wouldn't even call a multi-tool so much of an EDC as part of my wardrobe. I bet I have gone no more than 10 days without one on my person over the last 20 years.

Sooo, yeah, I have a LOT of LM tools. Upward of probably 15 LM, 7 or 8 Gerber, and 4 or 5 misc tools...at a guess:p

They just seem to multiply.
I do like the variety, depending on what I'm doing.

I have to admit that I got crunch mostly because I wanted one.
Same here. The Crunch is an engineering marvel, but, IMHO, it's rarely the tool I want for most of my daily multitool needs. It takes two hands and nearly forever to set up the pliers and the same to stow them away again. But, when a locking plier is what you need, they work very well. I virtually never carry them solo, but, if I know that I have a particular job that requires pliers to hold whatever it is I'm about to cut or file with my Surge, I'll carry the Crunch as a second tool. Besides, carrying several multitools keeps you from blowing away on windy days!
JPEG_20200310_220159_4953720573938091053.jpg
T-A

They just seem to multiply.
20141213_124808.jpg
It's not an addiction, it's artwork! Actually, I can barely remember when I owned so few... I know I can't possibly have too many, because there are still several I'm looking for. The first step in dealing with a multitool addiction is admitting you have too many; if that is ever the case, I'll let you'll know! T-A

LM Free P2.jpg
Snagged a LM Free P2 at a price I could justify (Just barely!!). This is the photo of my purchase from that famous online auction site. It's scheduled to arrive in a few days (First class mail...who really knows??). I'm expecting to be impressed, but I doubt that it will take the place of my assortment of Wave/Surge/Charge EDC multitools. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised. I'll post my impressions when it comes. T-A

I had a swiss army knife addiction (23) but I got a free p4 as a gift about a month ago and I find my self using it a lot more than my victorinox's might just start collecting the leatherman from now on

View attachment 1305699
Snagged a LM Free P2 at a price I could justify (Just barely!!). This is the photo of my purchase from that famous online auction site. It's scheduled to arrive in a few days (First class mail...who really knows??). I'm expecting to be impressed, but I doubt that it will take the place of my assortment of Wave/Surge/Charge EDC multitools. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised. I'll post my impressions when it comes. T-A

The P4 managed to boot the other tools out of my pocket about 3 months ago. It's an interesting tool. Full size for harder jobs but not quite and work site robust as the ST300. I find it to be more than a novelty. I would have been fine with a P2, but I wanted separate plain and combo blades.

Hope you enjoy!

I want a P4 evntually, but a P2 became available at the right price first. I don't care for half serrated blades as a rule. The P2 is a marvel of engineering for sure, but it has so many shortcomings that it will never replace a Wave-type tool. I would miss the exchangable bits; I always carry a bit kit. The file and the ruler on the P2 don't compare at all to what I'm used to either. No eyeglass screwdriver.
Also, I almost always use the bit driver on my Surge/Wave with one handle open and one closed. That gives me a long-handled screwdriver without having to get out my bit extender, which I also always carry. And I can open/close my Surge one handed. It is more difficult for me to close the P2 one handed. But the P2 has a great figet-factor, and that's worth 2 extra points! I am glad I have a P2 in my collection, but it won't be my EDC. T-A

The P4 managed to boot the other tools out of my pocke
Now that I've had my Free P2 for a couple months, I can say that i'm sure it will never replace my EDC Surge with accessories. The P2 is beautifully made and feels great in the hand. It just has too many shortcomings. Yes, I'm sure I'd like the P4 more, but I haven't yet found one for a price I can justify. I would much rather have separate serrated and straight blades. And when I use a screwdriver on my Surge, I leave one handle extended for greater length.
JPEG_20200409_214605_1263120466153667432.jpg
That is very unstable with the P2; it wants to fold up as I use it. Also the P2 holster (nice and sturdy with a great snap) has no room for anything else, like a flashlight.
JPEG_20200409_220051_4691058727099633198.jpg
The extra large Surge holster accommodates bit kit, file blade, extension, and flashlight. Note the snap I added when the Velcro wore out, the rubber band that's necessary to keep from losing the extension, and the belt loop that's nearly worn through!
In the P2's favor, it's a lot easier to carry, either in the holster or clipped to my front pocket. It's a welcome addition to my collection but not an EDC for me.
JPEG_20200409_221618_3278319280651908989.jpg
Anybody else have an opinion? T-A

Attachments

• JPEG_20200409_214605_1263120466153667432.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1
  • JPEG_20200409_214605_1263120466153667432.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 3
It’s not an addiction if someone gives it to you, is it? A co-worker was clearing some old stuff out of a storage area. We assume it’d been sitting there for years as it’s virtually unused. He tossed it to me as he said he has enough. Who could ever have enough:confused:

2-D097-F8-F-8-CA7-4017-B6-B9-452-D36739-D01.jpg

He tossed it to me as he said he has enough.
Nice tool, lucky you! Be sure you give him a nickel for the knife. He must sell it to you; giving someone something with a sharp edge cuts your friendship. And you mustn't pay for it with copper; no pennies. A nickel or a dime is okay. It might sound silly, but you certainly don't want to risk it! T-A

Nice tool, lucky you! Be sure you give him a nickel for the knife. He must sell it to you; giving someone something with a sharp edge cuts your friendship. And you mustn't pay for it with copper; no pennies. A nickel or a dime is okay. It might sound silly, but you certainly don't want to risk it! T-A
Ah, many don't know of the coin, "cut your friendship" tradition. There are a few variations I've heard of. I grew up with this but the only difference from your version is copper or a penny (any coin) was acceptable as well:thumbsup: In a pawn shop I found several kitchen cutlery pieces with their factory cardboard sleeves on them and pennies or technically (one cent) were taped to the sleeves.

Back