Leatherman charge left pocket question?

Yo Mama

Gold Member
Anyone with a pocket clip on a wave or charge, can you carry clipped on left pocket without the tool sliding down the pocket? I have the sidekick where the clip placement makes sense for a left pocket but in the wave and charge it's on the other handle.

Thanks

I didn't have any problems carrying a Charge in my left front pocket aside from the bulk.

I didn't have any problems carrying a Charge in my left front pocket aside from the bulk.

Thanks man by chance do you have a side kick or wing man to compare the charge size to? I know it's a little bit bigger than what I have right now but I'm just wondering if it's really a jump up in size?

Sorry for the delay. Left to right, Charge, Wingman, Sidekick.

As you can see, the Charge is longer, thicker, bulkier and heavier than the other two.

I have been carrying a Charge clipped to my left pocket for a few weeks now and have not had many problems. Once or twice the handles separated a bit causing the handle without the clip to sink below the top edge of my pocket. When I attempted to retrieve the Charge from my pocket, the clipless handle was caught requiring that I get the handles back together before I could extract the tool from my pocket. I have had the handles on various Surge/Wave/Charge tools separate while residing in my right pocket, and, while I didn't like that situation, it was easier to resolve than when it happened to the Charge in my left pocket. It's not a big deal, however, as the Charge that I am carrying currently has very tight pivots, almost to a fault, making it unlikely that the handles will separate. I often carry a relatively worn, therefore, loose Charge, and that one would likely be a headache in my left pocket. I have, on occasion, carried a Surge clipped to my pocket (right side), but, due to its extreme bulk, it's not very comfortable. While I like the sleek form of some of the smaller tools, anything less than a Wave or a Charge with a bit kit and an extension leaves me feeling ill-equipped/unprepared. Therefore, I virtually always have one of the three afore-mentioned tools with accessories in a pouch on my right hip. I know it might seem a bit anal, but I have actually been carrying the Charge in my left pocket while also carrying a Surge with accessories on my belt. I've been doing some rewiring in my garage and enjoy being able to have the Charge main blade open and the Surge set for pliers laying right next to me as I work. It saves me a lot of switching back and forth. I also get lots of exercise carrying all the extra weight! Whatever trips your trigger, I guess... T-A

I ended up getting the charge plus and digging it. It's a whole different beast vs the sidekick and wingman

I ended up getting the charge plus and digging it. It's a whole different beast vs the sidekick and wingman
Great choice! I've not seen that model in the flesh, but it appears to have all the important features of a Charge without the drawbacks of some of the Charge models. Upgraded blade steel, 154CM, without the expense of titanium handle scales (which are really unnecessary). I like the replaceable wire cutter inserts in nice trim jaws, rather than the big bulky jaws of the Supertool 300 or the Rebar, and no cap crimper, a feature of many Charges for which I have no use. And you get three carry options, lanyard ring, pocket clip, and the holster. I'm sure you will get lots of great service and enjoyment with your new purchase. T-A

Great choice! I've not seen that model in the flesh, but it appears to have all the important features of a Charge without the drawbacks of some of the Charge models. Upgraded blade steel, 154CM, without the expense of titanium handle scales (which are really unnecessary). I like the replaceable wire cutter inserts in nice trim jaws, rather than the big bulky jaws of the Supertool 300 or the Rebar, and no cap crimper, a feature of many Charges for which I have no use. And you get three carry options, lanyard ring, pocket clip, and the holster. I'm sure you will get lots of great service and enjoyment with your new purchase. T-A

Ok so a lot happened since i posted. The charge was a fake. Leatherman gives me a coupon. I get a charge tti plus and a signal! Both were on my list and the price was right through leatherman so I cant say enough how they owed me nothing but gave me a holiday gift I'll never forget. Il post a new thread soon with all my current models and comparison pics.

So your gray storm cloud has a silver lining! Sounds like Leatherman took real good care of you. I'm carrying a Charge TTI as we speak. A Signal is on my list of tools I would love to own, but I'm looking for one on the cheap. Enjoy your two new Treasures. T-A

Back