Leatherman Charge TTI blade bevel

I just received a very nice, brand new Leatherman Charge TTI for Christmas. I love S30V so I'm pleased with the blade steel.

However, the factory bevel was relatively uneven, as is prone to happening (something I usually see more of in S30V, S110V than say, 154CM). Do I bother with the warranty or just work out the unevenness through use and touch up sharpening? The carbides looked initially like they'd been chipped (as if hitting a staple or something) but as this is a brand new MT, I'm sure it's just factory machining.

I've already run it over a whetstone and the blade is now razor sharp (sharper than need be for a MT). The bevel is still uneven, but less so.

Thoughts?

I think I would use it hard and sharpen it when it needs it. Why worry about something so trivial?

I've got several Leatherman tools (including a Charge Tti) and most of the edge bevels are ground unevenly.

It's not ideal, but I've come to consider it as something that's acceptable on a multitool since the knife blades are what I use the least and the uneven edge bevels don't really affect performance.

I've got several Leatherman tools (including a Charge Tti) and most of the edge bevels are ground unevenly.

It's not ideal, but I've come to consider it as something that's acceptable on a multitool since the knife blades are what I use the least and the uneven edge bevels don't really affect performance.
Thank you for responding to my question Francis. I do use the blades on my MTs quite a bit so the resharpening/reprofiling I did helped (mostly my peace of mind) the bevel.

The Charge TTI, while pricey, is meant to be used and that's what I'm doing so I won't sweat it.

My leatherman tools are also a bit uneven ground. Nevertheless, the wave I have in 420hc takes a much better edge than I would have thought.

After the blades take a few scratches, a chip gets in the scissor edge, pitch gets trapped in the saw, and you see wear on the driver bits ... the uneven ground edge won’t matter that much.

The blade on my tti is also uneven, but it performs anyway and hold the edge for a long time between sharpenings.
A great tool IMO.

Regards
Mikael

Back