Leatherman Charge+ TTi S30V knife grind

Hello everyone!
My first post on this forum which I've read for a while.
I've had a Leatherman Charge TTi since around 15 years ago. Unfortunately I've lost it a year ago. After struggling with a Black&Decker multi-tool I've got for free from a friend, I've decided to get a new Charge+ TTI (B&D will go to the scrap metal bin in the recycling center).
In general it looks pretty similar to my old Charge TTi, I quite like the updated pliers, the new titanium scales feel a bit more comfortable in my hand. It also has washers that look like Ph Bronze, unlike the older model.
However, the S30V knife grind quality has some sort of low spot, which my old tool's blade didn't have:
Ajst6VO.jpg

PRz9Okg.jpg

What do you think about this - was it ground like this on purpose, or is it a defect? If someone has the same multitool, does yours look similar? I can imagine this low spot might cause less than perfect performance when cutting tomatoes/cucumbers, for example. Should I attempt to remove the high spot on diamond stones, to make it sit flat?

Thanks!
--Gene

Just my opinion. I’m not a fanatic about a perfect blade edge. I like them sharp and if they cut really well I don’t worry about little imperfections as they are a tool. If it cuts fine and you don’t notice it, I’d leave it. If it causes a hangup when you’re cutting something, then I’d address it. I know there are others around here that couldn’t stand it and would send it back or take care of it themselves, that’s just not me. Try it out, you may find it doesn’t cause an issue. As the years roll by it should gradually disappear as you touch up the blade. Welcome to a Blade Forums, and try not to lose this one;)

That would bug me. I always touch up a new blade, so I would fix it then.

That is definitely a minor boo boo in the factory grind. I’ve owned many Leatherman tools and I’ve never had one like that. If you sent it back to them they would certainly replace the blade.

I’ve had a few Leatherman tools with inconsistent grinds. Some with worse flaws than yours direct from the factory. Leatherman is a multi tool company primarily, so I don’t expect them to be 100% on the small knife blades on their tools. Heck, even some of the big boys in the cutlery business have hiccups here and there.

I wouldn’t worry about it, use it as you normally would. As was posted above, you’ll sharpen it out eventually.

Welcome to Bladeforums!

LM QC has fallen over the years(at least that how I feel), and of more than a dozen I own, it is not uncommon to see uneven grind side-to-side or even within the same side. Nowadays, I only purchase new LM if I can see it in person to confirm they are in good condition I want before the purchase.

If it bothers you, I would suggest to get in touch with customer service and to see whether they can exchange a new one for you.

The grind on my LM Charge is really not great, wavy, uneven, practically a tanto the transition to the curve is so abrupt. Takes a good edge though and works hard. I wouldn't put up with it on a regular knife but it's a tool and I don't sweat it.

The new plus charge has more of a recurve vs the old standard version. The one in the pic is completely normal and matches mine. There is nothing wrong with it, nor anything for them to fix.

Use and enjoy it!

LM QC has fallen over the years(at least that how I feel), and of more than a dozen I own, it is not uncommon to see uneven grind side-to-side or even within the same side. Nowadays, I only purchase new LM if I can see it in person to confirm they are in good condition I want before the purchase.

While they are not perfection, Leatherman still continues in my opinion to be the highest quality multi tool there is. Besides launching off with the sidekick and wingman, I got heavy into adding models over the last few years and I have been beyond happy with all the ones I ended up with.

Pricing is the thing most out of wack with Leatherman, sidekicks going for 60 bucks now is crazy, and the free should not be at the price its at.

20200123_072217.jpg

If you don’t like it, I’d send it back, Leatherman is known for its outstanding customer service. I recently sent off a rebar and a surge that was lent to a friend who “lost” them. After several months I got them back; they were so rusty from being in the elements that you could hardly open them. I sent them to leatherman, telling them exactly what happened, they promptly sent me a brand new surge and rebar. Leatherman is amazing.

The blade does have an anomaly but not very important, on my TTI Charge I do not have this problem

Check the stock photos on Leatherman's website where it shows the curve well.

It would bug me for what the tool costs, but it's not a huge deal that will have any effect on performance. One of the reasons I stick with basic stainless leathermans is that I feel OK using the blades for beater use. They don't hold an edge for long, but they will muddle through what I need to them to do. With an upgraded steel, it would bother me. I dunno if I would go to the hassle of sending it back, but i would most likely be pretty aggressive in regards to reprofiling the edge over time.

It’s your tool, if it works for you, roll with it. I must say, if it doesn’t, send it LM. In my opinion their customer service is top notch.

Honestly I believe LM and BM to both have legendary customer service!

Back