Leatherman Free K2. Anyone own one?

Hi all. Did a little research here, but there isn't too much dialogue on this model. It's pricey, for me, but it apears to tick all my boxes.
However, I haven't handled one in person. I would very much like some imput from those of you who own, carry and use this multipurpose knife.

Thank you all for your time! I hope you all had a great Christmas.

rRBuLOG.jpg

I've got the K2 mainly for my collection, and did carry it sparingly. Here are my 2 cents worth, YMMV:

1) I think this tool is mainly catered to knife enthusiasts, where they may want a one hand opening blade with some form of multitool functions, but not wanting to carry the full weight of a leatherman MT or has no use for a pliers. K2 weights in around 5.6oz, and my mid-size LM Charge weights about 8.66oz.

2) In terms of tool quality, I think they are alright for what they are. They advertise about the one hand opening capability of these tools, but in reality, I think it is just clever sales pitch. Imagine you have to fan out all these tools every time just to get the right tool to use--it does get pretty annoying if you use your tools often.

3) I don't use the K2 blade often enough to comment on how well it is heat treated or its edge retention. But from using my other dozen of LM products, my educated guess is it probably somewhat comparable to Buck 420s(which I love).

4) In terms of value, I would think it is just passable. One probably will get better quality tools/value, if you pair a Victorinox Explorer and a Kabar Dozier together. Based on Amazxn pricing, the combo will cost roughly about 68 bucks. You will get way more tools with better quality(IMHO) on a Vic Explorer and the KaBar Dozier is a separate blade with D2 steel. The only drawback is the combo will weight roughly 0.2oz more, which I think is negligible.

Thank you very much comis comis .
Honestly, I believe I'm exactly the demographic this tool caters too. My most mainly used items in a day are a knife and screw drivers. I have, or have access too, dedicated tools for everything else at work.

I love plier based multitools, but I can't bring myself to carry them for longer than a day. They are heavy and ackward for me. I carry other things besides the multitool, so pocket space and weight are a factor.

Question, how well does that opening slit work? I'm sure it doesn't compare to a Spyderco thumb hole, but does it feel ackward?

To be honest, I think coming from a knife nut prospective, I think it is just average. Most Spyderco with compression lock will flick like a dream, the K2 is definitely no where close to that level, maybe somewhere below the level of a Spyder hole with backlock(like a Delica, but at least you could flick it open with practice).

The bulky K2 body with the small opening hole hugging close to the chassis is not helping, and the locking mechanism do exert constant force against the blade like a backlock. In comparison, I much prefer the blade opening on the usual LM multitool like Charge, Wave, Surge, which is just a liner lock.

To sum it up, it is manageable, but not swift or very ergonomic.

To be honest, I think coming from a knife nut prospective, I think it is just average. Most Spyderco with compression lock will flick like a dream, the K2 is definitely no where close to that level, maybe somewhere below the level of a Spyder hole with backlock(like a Delica, but at least you could flick it open with practice).

The bulky K2 body with the small opening hole hugging close to the chassis is not helping, and the locking mechanism do exert constant force against the blade like a backlock. In comparison, I much prefer the blade opening on the usual LM multitool like Charge, Wave, Surge, which is just a liner lock.

To sum it up, it is manageable, but not swift or very ergonomic.

Again, thank you. I think I've made up my mind.

Average, for the use of this multipurpose knife, is just fine. The role of this knife will be light duty EDC, and something to do the dirty jobs I don't want to subject my PM2 or Ultratech to.

It doesn't sound like this Leatherman is a complete flop. I like the thoughts of a decent "beater" knife with locking drivers.
And I am completely happy with 420HC when done well. I love Kershaw's 420HC.

(For the record, I don't beat on my knives!)

One last question, actually!

I understand it's a wide knife. Do you feel like it is ridiculously wide in the pocket? As in, annoyingly so?

One last question, actually!

I understand it's a wide knife. Do you feel like it is ridiculously wide in the pocket? As in, annoyingly so?
I usually do wear pants with large pocket, so clipping this tool onto the pocket corner along with a phone is not a problem at all. The width of the handle is similar to a fixed blade handle with a full grip, so it shouldn't be much of an issue unless you pants is tight fitting.

I usually do wear pants with large pocket, so clipping this tool onto the pocket corner along with a phone is not a problem at all. The width of the handle is similar to a fixed blade handle with a full grip, so it shouldn't be much of an issue unless you pants is tight fitting.

Thanks comis!

Not yet. It's still on the "list". I was actually looking at them again just yesterday.

Being married, I have to time my knife buys haha

I got my hands on a used K2 off that big auction site for < $40. It's beefy (think Buck 110 beefy), but quite well put together. If I can find a suitable belt sheath I'll likely take off the pocket clip, as I've done on most knives I've owned that came with clips. Quite a solid knife/tool. Carried with a decent pair of pliers and you've got most bases covered.

Back