Leatherman p4 free review initial impressions

Yo Mama

Gold Member
aJfTrW1.jpg

I'm a sucker for new. The free series being what Leatherman is moving to I wanted to see what it's like. Here we go!

The tool is big, feels bigger than the charge. It's one handed opening feels similar to a worn in charge or wave, but noticeably a different feel on the whole cam system upon lockup. Only center handle tools can be accessed one handed, the outside tools require use of the thumb holes. The tools being on the outside is just weird to get used to, I feel its prone to more dirt and debris with the open design.

The tools are "heritage" style, subtle improvements though can be seen vs the sidekick or wingman tools. I just dont see a benefit vs the replaceable or interchangeable tools on other comparable models.

Over all it feels well built and the quality is there. However in no way can this compete with the charge or wave. The pricing and materials just dont stack up, especially going with the 420hc for the blades. I like it, but dont love it, we'll see if it grows on me.

J8umhEu.jpg

q4Qjhry.jpg

vfJz2uW.jpg

8YSniiR.jpg

My video review here:

Last edited:
Great thanks that's just what I was after. I got intrigued by the bali type design but wasn't sure if I could beat my supertool, wave or even my Center Drive (beater). I do like the sheath tho the gray isn't bad.

Great thanks that's just what I was after. I got intrigued by the bali type design but wasn't sure if I could beat my supertool, wave or even my Center Drive (beater).

I appreciate it man I wanted to get a review quickly because I know people are getting them in soon and I'm usually the guy waiting and trying to get by till the arrival!

I appreciate it man I wanted to get a review quickly because I know people are getting them in soon and I'm usually the guy waiting and trying to get by till the arrival!

Lol I know the feeling. They popped up on blade hq's front page a few days ago but still said coming soon. I was looking today and sure enough u could buy them. Nobody had said anything so I put the thread up. Where did u get yours so early?

Lol I know the feeling. They popped up on blade hq's front page a few days ago but still said coming soon. I was looking today and sure enough u could buy them. Nobody had said anything so I put the thread up. Where did u get yours so early?

I only order straight from Leatherman, they give me a killer discount, long story :) it's why I have so many models, they made me a crazy leatherman fiend.

I only order straight from Leatherman, they give me a killer discount, long story :) it's why I have so many models, they made me a crazy leatherman fiend.

Pics of Tim Leatherman + donkey + misc.fruit= discount? Something along those lines. :eek::D

Thats great to have that hookup. I've been a Leatherman nut forever. Extenuating circumstances have shut my buying down for awhile that's the only reason I don't have a P2 yet lol. But it's coming.

Pics of Tim Leatherman + donkey + misc.fruit= discount? Something along those lines. :eek::D

Thats great to have that hookup. I've been a Leatherman nut forever. Extenuating circumstances have shut my buying down for awhile that's the only reason I don't have a P2 yet lol. But it's coming.

I use a leatherman far more than any of the fancy dedicated folders I paid much more for. There is just something much more useful for me in them.

Sure you'll like the p2, let me know when you get it what you think.

I use a leatherman far more than any of the fancy dedicated folders I paid much more for. There is just something much more useful for me in them.

Sure you'll like the p2, let me know when you get it what you think.

Out of all my tools and folders my most used one is my skeletool. I clip it on a belt loop and it's always there. And it has enough tools to get by. The onlyissue I ever had was the extra bit falling out.

Absolutely, I have the bigger tools covered already. I wanna try the smaller one but with their new magnet tech so the p2 is what I got. Will see what happens and when circumstances allow for it.

Just received mine yesterday, ordered directly from leatherman the second they were released. At first I thought I wasnt a huge fan of if, but after trying it out a handful of times I quickly got used to the one handed opening and being able to access all tools one handed as well. Really like how all tools are accessible from outside the handle, so no more opening the tool to grab bit, and then closing the tool to use the chosen bit. Scissors seem to be much better than the wave/charge models. Have used a leatherman all day at work for years, so will quickly find out how it performs compared to my charge tti or surge. Like how they did away with the removable bit drivers, have snapped the eyeglass bit on my charge multiple times, and the normal sized bit seems to pull out quite often during use

Just received mine yesterday, ordered directly from leatherman the second they were released. At first I thought I wasnt a huge fan of if, but after trying it out a handful of times I quickly got used to the one handed opening and being able to access all tools one handed as well. Really like how all tools are accessible from outside the handle, so no more opening the tool to grab bit, and then closing the tool to use the chosen bit. Scissors seem to be much better than the wave/charge models. Have used a leatherman all day at work for years, so will quickly find out how it performs compared to my charge tti or surge. Like how they did away with the removable bit drivers, have snapped the eyeglass bit on my charge multiple times, and the normal sized bit seems to pull out quite often during use

Great points! I'm getting warmer to it.

The P4 comes without a pocket clip. I called customer service to see when it would be available. I was told it would be a while. She said it was designed for sheath carry but the option to add a clip is there. So if anyone out there makes custom clips please hit me up.
Thanks

The P4 comes without a pocket clip. I called customer service to see when it would be available. I was told it would be a while. She said it was designed for sheath carry but the option to add a clip is there. So if anyone out there makes custom clips please hit me up.
Thanks

That strange last week they said they had extra clips now available by phone it cost me $9 I got it a few days ago. I would call again. With the pocket clip it carries no different than the charge or wave.

I'm glad the pocket clip is available. I will most likely carry it on my belt since I carry a big ol ZT 303 in my right pocket and a .380 in my left. However, being able to clip the tool to my shorts pockets on the weekend bumming around the house doing off jobs would be nice.

I have no interest in the smaller model since I generally dislike combo blades on my tools.

Great review btw:) thanks you.

Whoa I had no idea it cost that much. I was hoping for something in the $80 range, but I'm not going to be an early adopter for 400-series stainless at over $100. We'll see. I may give it a try if I get some Amazon gift cards or something, but I think I would get more out of the "cool" factor of a wearable like the Tread for just a bit more money. At least I could justify that for trips to Disney or plane rides or a back-up tool.

This is a cool tool, but I think I'll stick with my ST300.

Whoa I had no idea it cost that much. I was hoping for something in the $80 range, but I'm not going to be an early adopter for 400-series stainless at over $100. We'll see. I may give it a try if I get some Amazon gift cards or something, but I think I would get more out of the "cool" factor of a wearable like the Tread for just a bit more money. At least I could justify that for trips to Disney or plane rides or a back-up tool.

This is a cool tool, but I think I'll stick with my ST300.

Yeah man I just think the price really puts it where the competition for the wave and charge may overtake the p4.

Something else that came up is I would pay the premium to truly have one handed use for the inner tools however they all stick together wedged in the handle and come out together anyway. Fumbling to try to just get 1 is just as labor some as having to open up the old design manually.

The engineering on it is amazing no doubt and there is a fun factor to it. For what I paid it's fair, but MSRP I'm still not seeing it.

Thanks
That strange last week they said they had extra clips now available by phone it cost me $9 I got it a few days ago. I would call again. With the pocket clip it carries no different than the charge or wave.
Thanks Yo Mama called Leatherman ordered my clip today!

Back