Leatherman Style CS ... useful EDC package

I could not find any reviews about this on here and I have started to carry it as I like something which can live on the keyring but is easy to deploy. I think this is quite underestimated in the world of mini EDC tools.

20180316_164024.jpg

Carabiner - Fast to the draw!

I like the fact it can be attached to a keyring and removed easily when in use. This is my main gripe with keyring tools, they are awkward to use while attached to the keyring. You can either carry such tools loose in the pocket which fall right to the bottom getting mixed up with other things or you can put them on a keyring or in a watch pocket. With the Style CS you have the best of both worlds - the convenience of grabbing your keys with it attached and easy removal from the keyring.

20180316_170202.jpg

Scissors - is that the best ya got!!

The scissors are hefty with a solid spring which look unbreakable. The full palm grip allows for good cutting pressure, no problem cutting zip ties or even small guage wire. I have found them great for safely opening clamshell packages, safer than a knife and the good grip and stout blades makes short work of them. I would also be happy using these in the garden for taking small cuttings/clippings etc.

20180316_164635.jpg

Due to the good stock on the scissor blades they are also up to some light prying. The blades overlap enough at the tips to provide good rigidity with no worries about bending the tips with the thick stock. Perfectly easy to open paint cans.

They are also suited to cutting fingernails and nose hair. For the latter the smaller Vic Classic scissors are more suited but I'll take the advantages of the Style scissors over the Vics, YMMV.

Knife - Chisel me flat

The knife is pretty tough with good stock for something this size. Gives some confidence in cutting and I would feel comfortable performing some moderate whittling although I have yet to test it hard on dry wood, just removing bark on greenwood. The chisel grind I am not overwhelmed by but I plan to put a micro bevel on the other side sometime. I would be interested to know the design philosophy of putting such a grind on this knife/tool.

Screwdriver/nailfile - I can reach!

Nice long reach on the mini driver. Useful in No.1 and No.2 philips and small flatheads. The spring strength is ok but I think it could be a bit stiffer considering the type of tool. The nail file is pretty coarse and has been useful in deburring certain things.

20180316_164942.jpg

Bottle opener- BBQ Master!

Bottle opener is a beast. It works from the top hooking the tip under the cap. It has a nice wide lip which grabs fairly well.

Tip: f you open one arm of the tool you can get a full sized handle on it while opening a bottle for better control as in the photo. Yeah!

20180316_164708.jpg

Tweezers - not for me

The tweezers are ok but I prefer a toothpick to tweezers and I can confirm that a Vic toothpick will fit in the slot of the CS after trimmimg the length. The width is fine and won't shake loose. Nice going!

Summary: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like it. The skeleton frame keeps the weight down while allowing for good stock on the tools. Ease of deployment and a strong set of EDC basics from a well known brand makes it a keeper for me. I think it looks pretty cool on the keyring too.

Sizewise I would compare this to a Vic Executive I have. Both very good tools. The Vic has both tweezers and toothpick, 2 blades and an orange peeler/serrated cutter with flathead driver. What wins me over is the carabiner on the CS and the strong full-grip on the scissors. Having both tweezers and toothpick is useful but the orange peeler peels like a waste of space ... sorry 'feels like' .....:D

Style CS - BBQ party dude maker with strong garden shears! :thumbsup:

Back