Leatherman Tools in hot water!

I won't go that far. Although I dislike certain posistions taken by the owners of Ben and Jerry's I still buy their products. The same for this guy.

However let me say this, I always did prefer Gerber's tools over Leatherman's.

Just cause he disagrees with me and others doesnt mean that he makes crap, and that would be a reason to not buy his products. Now if he was Jon Bon Jovi.....

The way I feel about it is sence he does not support Gun owners and vote that way he might as well be voting for people the are anti knife also! Leatherman tools are also knives and as soon as guns are banned in the country knives will be next.

This guy is a flaming liberal and screwed himself and his company but pissing off 90% of his clientel which are hunters, gun owners and outdoors folks. What the heak was he thinking???? Did he think liberal law makers, paper pushers and non sporting people bought his tools???? What a moron!

He's got a right to vote however he wants. From that e-mail I wouldn't put him in anywhere near the same category as some loudmouth celebrity who gives money and time to these campaigns. All he did was choose to vote differently and not try to hide it. Nothing to get all bent out of shape about IMO.

I will go that far. When I think of the descrimination given to the NRA I conclude what is proper as financial free speech works both ways. Did you see Vibram was on the list? Darn.

Ben and Jerry's is overated ice cream. The thing it really has is more candy- for people who like goodies on their ice cream.

I boycott France too. (not that I was ever going there to visit)

munk

Let me add- the position taken by Leatherman was also on Republican stewardship of our National Parks. Well, under PC Democratic control of land and assets, Southern Calif burned down and now has no habitat. Likewise, Montana suffered significant damage several years ago thanks to Clinton's road less access.

In short, though Leatherman states this is just his personal opinion, he was willing to place his not inconsiderable name recognition behind a re-elect Kerry campaign. That certainly more than calls for my relatively minor boycott of his product.

Anyone gambling that Kerry would not hurt the Second Amendment made a bad call I do not forget.

munk

From some of the emails the guy got sounds like the right wing loonies really let him have it. That's the danger with the current political climate. I mean HONESTLY how many people think that Kerry would have been able to pass gun control with the republicans having majority in both houses? Not to mention there's a good % age of Dems that come from rural states and wouldn't approve either.

The anti government rhetoric of the Reagan years reached it's zenith (or nadir) with anti gov't poster boy Tim Mc Veigh bombing US citizens because he hated the govt. The whole thing kind of eased up after that. However this war and the slash and burn tactics of the neocons has brought it up to a new level. Considering how much some people (and I'm not talking about anybody here) have bought into this total unquestioning of the current regime as "good" and anybody else as "evil" approach I can really see how totalitarian regimes get started.

Also with this patriot act stuff they won't need gun registration. Thanks to Bush some future person who wants to ban guns and other stuff will just be able to pull up all our personal data and figure out where to go looking :mad:

I could care less if a guy is a Nazi or a Communist. I judge his product on it's quality not the manufacturer's politics.
If I refused to buy stuff because I didn't like the politics of those who made it, I would be sitting here naked in an empty room.

The last Leatherman I bought was made in the USA.

The last couple of new Gerber knives I saw for sale were made in China.

So, the man supported Kerry.... all in all, except for a few domestic policies, the direction America would have taken in the world would have differed little under a Kerry administration. Kerry's a globalist, just like Bush.

Being upset with this persons political position is completely ridiculous. I could understand if the guy supported the Nazi party or something, but give me a break! Not even worth discussing. This is the equivalent of saying, "You like ketchup???? Well, I like mustard, so screw you." The election is over. Move on. Like it or hate it, we all have the same President and live in the same country. Life goes forward.

J.Davey said:
Being upset with this persons political position is completely ridiculous. I could understand if the guy supported the Nazi party or something, but give me a break! Not even worth discussing. This is the equivalent of saying, "You like ketchup???? Well, I like mustard, so screw you." The election is over. Move on. Like it or hate it, we all have the same President and live in the same country. Life goes forward.

Good message, J.D., but I am not sure NBS, CBS, N.Y.Times, et al. got the message. Check that. I am positive they did not get that message.

And he also criticises the Bush Administration as being destructive of the National Parks. What is more destructive than the roadless access and lack of thinning and tree harvest in the Mountainess west and in South Calif Promted by the Sierra club and Clinton adminstration Left?

He has every right to promote his leftest politics, as do you, Hollow. But if you made a knife and were famous, and used your name politically, I'd have the right to avoid your product. No offense.

Further, and let me be very clear about this- you have a GREAT HEART and SOUL- this, I know without hesitation. But you are also the same person who either before or right after the election posted a link to the newest BIN LADEN video as justification/explanation/collaboration for your anti Bush world view. You can certainly have that view. But knowing the dynamics of psychological warfare, for you to feed into Bin Laden's propaganda was poor judgement and defines the Fith Column. Thus- Hollowdweller lecturing on the 'right wing loons' is too ironic for words. It is like Mau Se Tung lecturing on Capitalism.

I admire Leatherman for speaking his mind and puting his name where his convictions lie. That was good. It is also good, and not petty, nor the same as a choice of ketsup on my burger, as some here have opined, for me to take exception and to avoid his product. Personal decision. Nothing wrong with that.

So, we agree to disagree. It is in good taste to avoid a man's works when he has tied his poltics to the same. If Bush opened up a stand of hamburgers, called, "Bushburgers" , I sure would understand if you had no desire for one no matter how tasty they were, with or without ketchup!!! LOL.

munk

Personally I like Leatherman products and will continue too buy them when I'm in the market for one.
The fact that the man endorsed and voted for Kerry has no bearing on his products IMO.
It would be like refusing too buy something from Hollowdweller because he endorsed and voted for Kerry fer cryin out loud.:rolleyes: :grumpy:

The only reason I voted for Bush was because Kerry had no obvious platform that I could see and refused to state one.:rolleyes: :grumpy: It wasn't so much a vote for Bush as it was a vote against Kerry and I think that's where a lot of people in the US stand.
If there had been an option for "None of the above" I would have voted for it.

Wouldn't it be too cool if "None of the Above" was a choice in every election? If that choice got a plurality, the parties would have to give us different candidates in, say, sixty days. SHORTER CAMPAIGNS!!!! :D

Only detail I haven't worked out is who governs until the next election where a party candidate wins a plurality. That could go on and on and on . . . . :eek:

You beat me to the joke- "none of the above' would have won in landslides the last 9 out of 10 elections.

Kismet- I have tried to discuss politics without venom. I hope I was successful. It is equal good taste to continue to support decent products regardless of political activism of the org; it is also good taste to boycott same if that is important. Neither means anyone is a fool. I choose to avoid Leatherman.
WE are all of us allowed to make their best decision about these things- and to let it go from there.

munk

Thomas Linton said:
Wouldn't it be too cool if "None of the Above" was a choice in every election? If that choice got a plurality, the parties would have to give us different candidates in, say, sixty days. SHORTER CAMPAIGNS!!!! :D

Only detail I haven't worked out is who governs until the next election where a party candidate wins a plurality. That could go on and on and on . . . . !:eek:
It would be really, really, cool if in addition too the "none of the above" there was an option of writing in your choice.
But on the other hand that could be very dangerous if people didn't take voting very serious and didn't exercise their right too vote.

The interim government would be a problem and something that I've thought about a lot as well.
Methinks that maybe a draft from the highly talented business world might be an option?

W F Buckley made a famous comment once about getting better Representatives in Congress- "taking the first 200 names out of the Boston Phone Book could do a better job than who we have." (paraphrased)

munk

Everyone has the freedom of choice, but if you are an entrepreneur you shall not MAKE PUBLIC ANOUNCEMENTS! Thats way over the line of your personall choice. You are using your company name for supporting your personall oppinions, no wise company owner would do this.
It happens exactly what happened - you piss lots of people off, your salles goes down and when you try to retreat, you loose your reputation.

No entrepreneur should involve himself pollitically and think his company will not carry any consequences.

Back