leatherman wave

mitch13

Gold Member
I thought I would share this, I did this review recently.

Why multi tools? For me they make life a bit easier. Although I still love a single blade...
This review is how I use a multi tool daily.

I've been a stay home Dad for many, many years. So I'm chief cook, cleaner, gardener & anything else that needs doing.
As I have very limited use of 1 hand{less than 30%}, I find them very handy... I've had this wave over 10 yrs

PLIERS mine are the original with fixed blade.
Work well on things like dog mesh, chicken wire, garden wiring, wiring up chain link fences, had a lot of use with no drama. the contours of this leatherman make for comfortable use.
Daily uses for me. picking up of dirty clothes for washing, I hate picking up others dirty socks and clothes. Good for picking up rubbish like tissues, kids always missing the garbage. Great for unclogging & cleaning out the vacuum, long hair plays havoc with vacuums. Good for picking up soaking clothes out of a bucket, dry hands.
So I find the pliers good to keep my hand clean throughout the day, as well as being practical. treated regular with anti bacterial.

BLADES
Plain edge- 420hc. It works, will need to be honed up daily. For some reason tI have never really liked the look of the blade. But it s functional.
Serrated- Yeah it's okay, I don't think it's aggressive enough compared to a spyderco. I think scallop serrations, like on a sak would be better for a non knifeknut, as the average user will probably just leave it dull

SAW
Good for work arond the yard & pruning.

FILE
Great for smaller jobs. Smoothing the edge of a walking stick, a quick edge on a hoe or shovel.

PHILLPS HEAD screwdriver.
interchangeable, works well. What I have found it can work better with handle open in tight spaces, otherwise the closed width can be a detriment.

FLATHEADS
yep they work, Also good as mini scraper. The widest works good as a mini prybar, I use often opening jars as I can't really do it. So slip under the lid and hey presto you pop the seal. I'm sure everyone has bent tp butter knives doing this

GLASSES Driver
It works. Also good for sliding cotton balls down the inside of slipjoints to clean.

CANOPENER
It works well for what it is. I find it handy when say a canned of tinned tomatoes, won't open properly due to being out of shape. It's sharp enough to punch a hole in a jar lid if you are not reusing. I prefer the sak style of separate bottle opener & can opener.

SCISSORS
They are small, good for pruning small plants, cutting cable ties. handy for opening shrink wrapped products.

I should mention all tools are lockable, basically lock back.
You will notice a key ring on mine.
For 2 reasons. I like to carry it in a sak rotating clip pouch & it's a touch short, so easier to draw.
The other is I can loop the index finger of my bad hand, making it easier to open.

Maybe this will be interest to some. When I got this wave, there was no sidekick, wingman.
This is just my thoughts on a tool I have used for many years & might be useful to some.
I do have skeletool, juice & a kick as well.
mitch
Sd2bMz.jpg

size comparison to swisstool.
wnohM9.jpg
YR26tO.jpg

Very nice write up! My old Wave was a great tool for the years I used it. Very useful and easily accessible tools, as you mentioned.

I lost mine a while back and have since been using leatherman pst II’s, mostly because they’re functional and smallish. The diamond file is nice to have.

Thanks for the write up. It reminded me of how much I liked the old Wave.

I've had my Leatherman Wave for 10+ years. I use it almost daily and expect that it will outlive me.

Very nice write up! My old Wave was a great tool for the years I used it. Very useful and easily accessible tools, as you mentioned.

I lost mine a while back and have since been using leatherman pst II’s, mostly because they’re functional and smallish. The diamond file is nice to have.

Thanks for the write up. It reminded me of how much I liked the old Wave.

Thanks mate:thumbsup:

Thanks for the write up, well done!

Yes, I think the Wave is just about the perfect pliers based carry tool.

I would like to see a wave without knife blades I carry a PST every day and never use the knife and really like the bits for the wave.

That would not help the size I carry my pst in my back pocket

I see,
Maybe as a direct order. Rather than engraving option, maybe blade options?

I do apartment Maintenance and use mine on a daily basis. Mine is older than this one and doesn't have the replaceable anything! But I still love it. If/when I replace it, it will be because I got the newest one on a good sale. Same Wave+ though.

When Leatherman designed the Wave they had some very good thought put into it. For me it has a lot of practical use for a pocket tool. I’ve been a mechanic for 45+ years and have plenty of tools for specific tasks but it’s nice to have a compact tool to clip in your pocket Or in sheath that can do a simple job without carrying a box or bag or a long walk back to the tool box. And it’s handy around the campsite, out fishing or hunting. I use the pliers most but I’ve used every tool on it.

The first multi tool I got was a Gerber and it didn’t last long but it didn’t cost much either. The next was a LM Wingman and it is a decent tool but for me the grip wasn’t right and kinda uncomfortable unless I used gloves. Then I finally found a Wave and I haven’t been disappointed. It is a bit heavy but for the amount of tools on board it’s not bad.

I’m not sure about the new free series and the magnets. It just seems to be a solution for a problem I never had. And I like the tools on the Wave a lot better.

I was at the range today, my Leatherman was used to open ammo packets, adjust sights, clear a jammed staple, and slice cinnamon rolls.
a jammed staple! what the heck are you shooting. a staple gun?!

Hey Mitch is that the original sheath? Got mine around ten years ago and it didn’t come with that belt clip

Good overview of the Wave. I use mine quite a bit, much more than my regular edc knife. Just ordered a nice sheath for it from the member Horsewright as it seems a more convenient way to carry it.

Hey Mitch is that the original sheath? Got mine around ten years ago and it didn’t come with that belt clip
No it's a Victorinox lockblade pouch. It's a rotating clip that you can put on the angle you prefer, a little long but with key ring easy to draw.
Mitch

Good overview of the Wave. I use mine quite a bit, much more than my regular edc knife. Just ordered a nice sheath for it from the member Horsewright as it seems a more convenient way to carry it.
Thanks
Look forward to seeing it he does nice work.

Back