Leatherman Wingman: not recommended

Thanks for the review Powernoodle. I just picked one up today. In its defense, the main body of the wingman is stamped out of .040" thick stainless steel, which compares favorably to a new production Wave, whose body near the plier head hinge is about the same thickness. The little cosmetic depressions stamped in the handle give the tool a cheap look it doesn't warrant, Leatherman could do a little cosmetic redesigning. The anvil wire cutters are not as good as bypass, and I can't really see how they save Leatherman any money. I did use a very small dremel stone to enlarge the knife thumb hole cut out to the same size as my Wave's blade and it opens much easier now. Knife takes a super edge and locks open solidly. Bronze washers under knife and scissors. My scissors work fine thankfully. Overall I was pretty happy for the money, this thing is WAY better than than the similar priced Octane or Crucial Fast, both of which I found to be complete and utter poo. If this thing is meant to compete with them, it comes out way way in front.

sounds like you had a bad personal experience with this tool. i have one and i think it is a really great and precision made tool. i would have to agree on the wire cutter issue. i made comparative cuts in a wire coat hanger with a kershaw a100c, sog paratool, victorinox spirit x, and the wingman and the wingman did have the greatest difficulty with the task but, as for the scissors you have to make sure they lock into place. i really like the scissors. i also find that the thumb pad is a bit uncomfortable but, that's what callouses are for. the screwdrivers i find don't need to lock as the spring they operate on is stiff enough to keep them from folding up under normal use. i found the package opener to be one of the handiest tools i have seen on a mt. also the wingman has a great finish and is not too heavy for utilizing its clip in my pocket. i think alot of times people get it in their heads that if they got it for "cheap" that the product is cr@p. $30- $40 dollars is not cheap for a multitool when you consider that the original leathermans costed about the same and were awesome tools. no this tool isn't the charge tti or the wave but, it is a good tool nonetheless.

Thanks for the review powernoodle.

I have mixed feelings/results for the Wingman. For the price (paid $26 Canadian) I can't really complain I guess. I have two of them but I need to remind myself LM made these as affordable entry level tools that can be made available to the masses, and to those who can't drop $100 on something they might easily lose. The overall quality, fit and finish I feel is good for a tool in that price range. What I dislike is that its nearly the same size and weight as my Wave which has way more tools. I would say that I'm not disappointed in the tool itself, considering the price they are sold out, but disappointed I picked them up as I don't necessirly collect and get see myself using them often at all, if at all.

I have 3 or 4 leatherman charges (all depends where I left one and if I have refound it) I LOVE them comfy great for tywraps knife sharpens great for a multitool. Ican't tellyou howmany gerbershavetakenthebigdirtnapandmy leathermanskeepchuggingalong.

I have to say that I have been incredibly pleased with my Wingman:confused:
True, I have about 10 tools more capable, but for the sub 30 dollar range, I just don't see anything that beats it over all. A lot of the Gerber tools in that range are rattly junk. Yes, my Wave or Surge will out work the Wingman multiple times over, but they also cost twice as much. I would be upset if they didn't :p
Yes, my Skeletool is lighter in my pocket offers a premium knife steel compared to the Wingman. However, there are times when I just don't like fooling with bits.
Yes, the Wingman really doesn't offer a tool set greater than my trusty old Fuse. However, the Fuse is a bit clumsy when it comes to quick and dirty cutting chores.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Wingman offers me a new beater/toy that clips to my pocket and offers me the perfect minimalist tool set I need in pocket tool. I have a toddler girl. A lot of my cutting chores are snipping tags off of new clothes as she is growing like a weed. Once I got the hang of the scissors, I was deploying them one handed and fully every time. I also have to say that I like the package opening tool. Sure I could do that with a knife, but try unfastening some of those stupid tie downs on a doll/stuffed animal without cutting the toy...while you kid is grabbing for it :eek: It's still a sharp tool I don't want her getting ahold of, but it's easier to control that little hook than a full blade.

For me, the Wingman offers me a no nonsense weekend warrior tool for a practical dad. No sheath to goof around with, no bajillion tools to pack around "just in case". Just a simple, well made for the money tool that is there when I need it. I really like it despite all of its obvious short comings. About the only gripe I have is the dumb cutters. They cut thin gauge hard-ish wire just fine, but tend to mash strand wire. I certainly wouldn't try cutting anything hard and heavy gauge with them. However, once again, right tool for the job. My Powerlock does my heavy lifting.

I have to say that I have been incredibly pleased with my Wingman:confused:
True, I have about 10 tools more capable, but for the sub 30 dollar range, I just don't see anything that beats it over all. A lot of the Gerber tools in that range are rattly junk. Yes, my Wave or Surge will out work the Wingman multiple times over, but they also cost twice as much. I would be upset if they didn't :p

(snip)

If you already have 10 tools more capable, price is no factor, so why downgrade?

A few weeks age I picked up a Wingman for a trial run, thinking that for the price I couldn't go far wrong That part turned out pretty much right. The Wingman is a usable, good enough "entry level" multi-tool, certainly a fine gift for the toolless among us, and something to keep on hand for a loaner, if you are often in that situation.

That said, there are important differences between it and better quality products. For most purposes, the Wingman doesn't compare to my Charge, and I can't help but be reminded of this with every use. As far as needing one for a beater, I was under the impression that the serious cash paid for a Charge purchases one hell of a beater. Of course, for collectors appearance is important, but shouldn't be a big deal for the rest of us.

Once you've experienced quality, it's hard to revert. I'll stick with my other, better Leathermen.

Nice review noddle. I didn't think I wanted one and didn't plan to get one then I read that they are going to be releasing a BO version so I "might" have to give it a try.

Additionally, the scissor can be very difficult to deploy as there is no nail nick or other means of extracting it. If it resides too far down in the body of the MT, there is no easy way to get it out.

Well... I use the scissor spring as a nail nick, the biggest nail nick I´ve ever seen on a knife/multitool. I think the scissors are way better than on my Charge TTi.

This has got to be one of the most polarizing tools in a long time:confused: I still don't see how this does not equate to a good value in terms of a sub-30 dollar made in the USA tool. Perhaps I was just lucky, but the fit and finish on mine is just fine. Everything is tight, the scissors deploy just fine. The wire cutter is a weak point.

However, for a cheap value-tool, you can throw your money away on far, far worse. Will I carry it always and forever? No. Is the best multi-tool I have ever stumbled across? Not by a longshot. I DO think it's better than the post-2004 Leatherman line up in terms of finish quality to comparable tools. The polish is much better on the tools and body, there is no plastic inserts in the handles, the the spring tension on the jaws is great. Once again, the wire cutters is the only weakness.

I dunno, I just thought it was nifty little tool to add to the stables. Kind of like buying another SAK "just because". I don't need it. I have a model the does everything it does and more. However the price is good, and it's fun to play around with for a few weeks:)

This has got to be one of the most polarizing tools in a long time:confused:

I've noticed that too. Very odd.

I agree with your comments and can't really add anything.
I've got one and find it perfectly reasonable for the money, and I even paid more than $20 for it. :D

Powernoodle, I think you got a lemon. I purchased my Wingman yesterday and the scissors on mine are just fine. I looked at several in the store, and I could see that the small groove into which the scissors’ spring fits when it is engaged shows a certain degree of variability: in some tools it appeared to be more shallow than in others. I guess at that price point the tolerances are not so tight.

I had some of the same issues with the Squirt ES2. The scissor spring doesn't stay in line with the moving part of the scissor. After a few snips, it pops out next to the scissor pivot. The chisel ground blade is really cheesy. Everything else is OK so far.

My Juice S2 seems really well thought-out, on the other hand.

Are you going to send the Wingman back? I think I would.

I couldn't agree more on how useless the scissors are. The scissors on my SAK Classic are far more useful.
Something I noticed on one of Powernoodles pics is what looks like a spring on the scissors. Mine didn't have any kind of spring. When you close the scissors they stay closed which makes them useless. I bought mine online and as it turns out a local knife shop I went to a couple of days ago had one that didn't have any spring either, the scissors stay closed after one cut.
:confused:

The scissors on the Wingman works just fine. For the spring to work, the scissors needs to lock in the open position. The lock is very firm, you will need to firmly push scissors down, then lock will click. After it clicks in the scissors spring works just fine, it cuts well to.

I've had good use with my wingman. The scissors have been flawless and I love how they are accessible from the outside. The wingman is my fishing multi-tool which I use the scissors all the time and the pliers for removing hooks.

My Wingman broke on me last night as I was removing a screw from our bathroom toilet paper holder. Not much pressure used, and it just snapped on me- very dissapointing. Which is why I found this thread. It taught me that the scissors are supposed to lock, which mine do not unless you push it open fairly hard and then open the scissors while pushing (i just found that out and have used mine since the beginning of October. For the price ($20 Ca) I was willing to grab one, but it did not impress me yesterday. Although I should have known, I've gone through 3 supertools, a skeletool and now this. My wave is the only one that hasn't worn out on me yet, and I don't abuse my tools, just think moderate pressure on a screw should be acceptable.

My Wingman broke on me last night as I was removing a screw from our bathroom toilet paper holder. Not much pressure used, and it just snapped on me- very dissapointing. Which is why I found this thread. It taught me that the scissors are supposed to lock, which mine do not unless you push it open fairly hard and then open the scissors while pushing (i just found that out and have used mine since the beginning of October. For the price ($20 Ca) I was willing to grab one, but it did not impress me yesterday. Although I should have known, I've gone through 3 supertools, a skeletool and now this. My wave is the only one that hasn't worn out on me yet, and I don't abuse my tools, just think moderate pressure on a screw should be acceptable.

I'll take your word for it that you haven't abused your Leathermen, but that's an awful lot of bad luck, especially for 3 Super Tools. No experience with Skeletool, but I've been using Super Tools for years, original and ST300, found them tough and reliable, even when pushed beyond their pay grade. May I ask, what did you do that caused them to fail?

Sounds like you might be using them a little harder than normal if you've broken 5 leathermans. Maybe you just have brute strength :)

A Leatherman Multi-Tool will not fail using "Moderate Pressure"..... sorry ain't buy'n it.

Regarding the Wingman, it is not the same quality as your Wave's and SuperTools. The price should have clued you into that.

Last edited:
If you send in your 4 broken tools to Leatherman ,they will fix and return them for free!I've never been able to wear one out or break one myself.But i did get a junky abused one from a friend and sent it in thinking i would get a new blade installed.What i got back was a beautifully polished brand new looking multitool.This was one of the old originals,well past the 10 year warranty.I've bought Leatherman ever since.Great stand up company with the finest products imo.All made in the USA.

Back