Leatherman Wingman: not recommended

Not overly. They have a return policy and I follow it.

I couldn't do it, especially if I'd removed the tool from the packaging and most especially if I had used it. I don't think they have a restocking fee for standard items, so the store and/or Leatherman takes the costs, such as labor to restock if unopened, repackaging, and maybe the difference between selling it as a new tool and selling it an opened one. I know other people do this sort of thing, but it feels very unethical to me.

Yes, and I have, but I wouldn't expect to pay full price for something that had been opened and/or used. If you bought a Wingman at Home Depot, and took it directly to a pawn shop, what do you think they would give you for it? Maybe a couple of bucks.

I promise I won't ask you to do it for me then.
Just out of curiosity, would you ever buy something that had been opened and returned, or is that off limits also?

Yes, and I have, but I wouldn't expect to pay full price for something that had been opened and/or used. If you bought a Wingman at Home Depot, and took it directly to a pawn shop, what do you think they would give you for it? Maybe a couple of bucks.

So you've benefited from someone else returning a tool. And HD lost, if anything, minimally.
Since they don't mark a return down from the lowest price anyone has ever paid, they mark it down from list.
Often you can find new items on sale for less.

So, who exactly is getting hurt here?

Incidentally, I normally buy opened stock if it is available and when I return things they come back in the original packing and looking unused.
In fact I even figured out how to get that stupid plastic muzzle thing off and back on the wingman last time without breaking it.

Anybody who sells anything to a pawnshop now, rather than on ebay, craigslist, or a related board has seriously not joined the 21st century yet.

I guess I'm old, which maybe carries with it a potentially obsolete but higher ethical standard. To answer your question, HD is getting hurt, since they refund your money and sell to somebody else for less, so they make less money or possibly loose money on your transaction. Now HD is, as I've mentioned before, a big faceless corporation, but the principles apply. I go thru life trying to minimize the negative impacts I may have on other innocent people. You can't eliminate all of negative impacts of your life, but buying a product with the advance knowledge it will be returned in a less valuable condition is a preventable negative impact.

So you've benefited from someone else returning a tool. And HD lost, if anything, minimally.
Since they don't mark a return down from the lowest price anyone has ever paid, they mark it down from list.
Often you can find new items on sale for less.

So, who exactly is getting hurt here?

Incidentally, I normally buy opened stock if it is available and when I return things they come back in the original packing and looking unused.
In fact I even figured out how to get that stupid plastic muzzle thing off and back on the wingman last time without breaking it.

Anybody who sells anything to a pawnshop now, rather than on ebay, craigslist, or a related board has seriously not joined the 21st century yet.

I guess I'm old, which maybe carries with it a potentially obsolete but higher ethical standard. To answer your question, HD is getting hurt, since they refund your money and sell to somebody else for less, so they make less money or possibly loose money on your transaction. Now HD is, as I've mentioned before, a big faceless corporation, but the principles apply. I go thru life trying to minimize the negative impacts I may have on other innocent people. You can't eliminate all of negative impacts of your life, but buying a product with the advance knowledge it will be returned in a less valuable condition is a preventable negative impact.

I myself am no spring chicken, however I've worked plenty in retail and I am well aware of how HD and and the rest operate with situations like this. At one place I worked, on items that wouldn't sell at the higher regular prices my boss engineered buy/returns in order to be able to sell items as "clearance/open box" so he could move them because he had a turn rate to maintain. Have you ever noticed some items that never seem to have any less or any more until they finally go on clearance? not all store managers or regional managers will tolerate a no turn rate on things. Better to sell them reduced, but not clearance price.

The wingman sells for 29 regular price and 19 or less during christmas season. I doubt HD is losing anything at either price and when they mark it down $5 for being opened and sell it for $24 they are not losing anything either. Thats why they don't have a restocking fee and why they don't hassle about returns.

And because they don't hassle they are where I spend when I need something for our house. In the past 12 months we gotten carpet for our old house ($1061), a water heater in our new house ($750), a Toolbox for the new house ($549), a washer and dryer ($580) and a grill and new mower along with various tools, led light bulbs, ect. And I've been trying to justify a new Drill/Impact Kit but haven't quite been able to find anything my current set won't do.

So for the one or two times a year that I buy a leatherman and return it, I don't lose any sleep and I certainly am not going to feel morally inferior to anyone about it.

As I said before, they have a return policy and I follow it.

Been a longtime lurker on this site, I enjoy blades of all kinds but it is not enough of a hobby to devote much forum time to, unlike my true obsession- traditional archery, on which forums I'm active constantly LOL.

ANYWAY... I finally registered just now because I came across this review today just farting around and the OP's negative review pissed me off enough that I just HAD to chime in for the first time, LOL

I for one think the Wingman is a brilliant tool. I snagged mine this past Xmas at Home Depot for the sale price of $19.99 and boy was it one of the best $20-range purchases I have ever made! The OP seems a little spoiled IMHO by LM's other offerings AND entirely missing the point of this tool. I have owned or handled the Supertool, the Surge and the Wave, so I am familiar with LM's higher end offerings.

The OP needs to really think hard and reevaluate why LM introduced the Wingman.

The beauty/point of the Wingman is:

1. Light weight for EDC while dressed casually OR not wanting something on your belt...not everyone wants a MT that weighs as much as a VW bug and is threatening to give you scoliosis
2. Selection of 'essential' tools you'll use 99% of the time rather than 10 other tools you'll use once in 5 years--->don't even get me started on the guys who carry a MUT as an EDC tool while in civilian sector, aka Tacti-q###r!!
3. Pocket clip for ease of EDC...see point #1
4. Low price point...and yet STILL made in the USA...around $30 normally priced and when on sale as cheap as $19.99...the sale price is so good after buying mine and having it a few months I really kicked myself for not buying one at that price for every male friend I have as a gift. The fact that the tool is still made in the USA is crazy considering most companies that price an 'entry' level tool this low have the POS made in CHINA. Shoot even if the Wingman is made of Chinese steel and simply assembled in the USA its still better than something sourced and manufactured 100% over there.

I have owned several cheap 'throw away' style MT's and knives at the ~$20 price point and the quality of steel/fit/finish wasn't nearly as good as this little Wingman. Even at ~$30 its still a quality assembly compared to most stuff in the price range.

The OP complained about the 'rolled/folded steel construction' on the tool's body...WTF man?...WEIGHT SAVINGS!!! In doing the folded/sandwiched construction LM was obviously trying to make the tool much lighter than a larger LM but still stiff enough to be useable. Furthermore, this tool obviously is not meant for 'heavy duty' use, again...think lightweight casual EDC...this thing flat ROCKS for that purpose. This is the tool you grab when you're just out running errands, or work in a 'lighter duty' job field, OR just want to carry a beloved LM but want to have it in your pocket and not in a holster. If you study the tool the edges are all nice and smooth...it slips in and out of your pocket quite easily. Yes, the pivot is a little wobbly, again, just a result of construction and weight savings, yes the finish grind on the pliers isn't as satiny as on other LM's, but it is quite functional, yes the wire cutters aren't that sharp and not offset...BUT they can cut most average wire adequately, again..think "pricepoint" here, I have tried them and they do work if you take the time to line up the cut and use enough force. Sure its 420 stainless, not 154CM or S30V...but again PRICE POINT and CASUAL use.

I applaud LM for designing and offering this tool. The tool makes some compromises but also offers some serious serious advantages compared to the larger LM tools for EDC. I will quite happily admit that since I bought this one I grab it 95% of the time now vs. the Wave. It's just that handy. I have used it for quite a few tasks and so far the blades and tools have held up great.

OP also complained about the locking mechanism on the scissors..must just be his tool. The one on mine works beautifully. YES, you need to make sure it fully engages, but once it does it is solid. And the thumb 'pad' for the scissors...yes its narrow and a bit sharp edged, BUT if you just angle your thumb a little it gets a lot more comfortable. Again, considering the price point and the INTENT of this tool this gripe is splitting hairs.

The Phillips screwdriver actually works quite well in my experience...the 2D design if you study it up close allows it to be used on a wider range of Phillips sizes...rather than just a #2 or #3 it lets you use it on large or relatively tiny screws simply based on the depth that the bit is allowed to engage the screw.

The file is sharp and I have actually used it on some pretty tough steel during one field expedient job and it performed great and actually stayed sharp.

Anyway, I could go on talking about a few more details, but really, I 100% disagree with the OP that you should pass this tool up. If you can get it on sale for $19.99 like I did it is a no brainer. I'd even buy it at $29.99 again to be honest. This tool is all about price point and LIGHT weight/ Every Day Carry use and I think LM nailed it while still magically offering a 'made in USA' tool. If you compare this tool in fit/finish to some of the other stuff at the ~$30 pricepoint out there (Gerber!!!) the other stuff is laughable really, considering its all made in China.

Grab one of these on sale for $20 if you can, or even at the regular price. Don't expect it to perform miracles but DO expect it to be handy as hell.

I agree that while they are not of the quality of other Leatherman offerings, much less Victorinox, the Wingman and the Sidekick are both excellent value for what you pay for them. I have owned each and frequently give them as gifts to people who have never had their own multitool before. They are almost universally still carried by those recipients, even a couple of years later. These are orders of magnitude better than the first generation of multitools, and though I'd personally choose a victorinox if given the choice, I'd gladly carry a wingman or sidekick and not feel like I was disadvantaged.

I think the Wingman is perfect and I highly recommend it......for this:

I purchased a couple of "Wingmen" for my teenage sons several years ago when Leatherman first released the model. I'm pretty sure I got them on sale for $20 each (the Leatherman tools, that is....not the boys; God knows how much they've cost me!).

I wanted cheap, tough, and shiny Leatherman brand tools that the boys could keep in their pockets. Not insignificantly, I needed some way to to keep their hands off my Charge TTi's as well! :p

The Wingman has served this task well for both sons.

Over the years, the older boy has lost his numerous times, found it outside coated in rust, cleaned it up, and promptly lost it again. No doubt it will surface again....someday. It's entirely his loss...and I'm out only $20.

The younger lad, however, has very carefully cared for his Wingman and has always known where it was (most often in his pocket unless he was at school). He asked me to teach him to sharpen it "the right way" (as opposed to the method taught in the Boy Scouts), and has kept it sharp, clean, and completely rust free ever since he opened the package so many years ago.

Well.....this younger son is receiving a brand-spankin'-new Charge TTi for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I have no worries that he'll misuse this much more expensive, and capable, tool.

As for the older boy...well, he can buy his own tools. :D

I have absolutely no regrets in purchasing either of these two Wingmen. Each, in their own way, have served their task exceptionally well.

+ 1 for the wingman. My wave stays at home cuz the wingman is smaller, lighter, more convenient cuz of the clip, has the tools that I need most often and I like the spring assisted pliers. I paid the full 30 and have no regretted it one bit.

The only thing i don't like much about the Wingman is that blister-pack-opener. Currently contemplating modding/regrinding that particular tool. As far as i'm concerned all multi-tools should have a pocket clip, thats why i currently carry the Wingman over my other Leathermans, my Victorinoxs and my SOGs.

I have both Wingman and Sidekick as my EDC. I take them over any SAK anytime. I use the pliers more than any other tool, so having no plier automatically cross most of the SAK's off my list.

+ 1 for the wingman. My wave stays at home cuz the wingman is smaller, lighter, more convenient cuz of the clip, has the tools that I need most often and I like the spring assisted pliers. I paid the full 30 and have no regretted it one bit.

The only thing i don't like much about the Wingman is that blister-pack-opener. Currently contemplating modding/regrinding that particular tool. As far as i'm concerned all multi-tools should have a pocket clip, thats why i currently carry the Wingman over my other Leathermans, my Victorinoxs and my SOGs.

Leatherman offers an excellent pocket clip for the Wave (comes standard on the Charge) that I think is much better than the Wingman's. The springed pliers is nice, though.

Leatherman offers an excellent pocket clip for the Wave (comes standard on the Charge) that I think is much better than the Wingman's. The springed pliers is nice, though.
It's too bad those Wave clips don't work with older Waves. My Wave is first gen, likely first or second year of production.

Well, the Wingman is a knife I got recently. I made some kind of "field-test-light-tasks" on my building lot. Nothing too hard and too bad but I used this tool the past following month nearly every single day. For a 30-€ tool it´s great. It works fine and for fine, light tasks it´s really a good tool. It´s nothing to compare with a regular Swisstool or even a tool that is dedicated to the job.

The clip works fine on working pants, just to say. The blade is like on many other LMs and the pliers are for lighter tasks just great.

I like it. It´s not perfect - but that´s the purpose I put it in... not the fault of the tool.

Back