Leatherneck

This knife is kinda perplexing to me. On one hand it's like the perfect beefier version of a MK2 fighting knife. However it uses D2, a steel widely regarded (maybe unfairly) as not being one of the toughest. It just seems like this knife doesn't get any attention.

I feel like this thing would get a whole lot more attention if made in a different carbon steel like A2 or 3V, both which are regularly used by CS. A2 would be more than enough and keep the cost down. Plus the design of the knife allows for tons of personal customizations with stacked leather or other materials.

Thoughts?

I agree that D2 doesn't seem like "the best choice" for a hard use knife. But it's still pretty decent in the roughness category, based on use, and the leatherneck isn't so thin that it will assplode spontaneously.

I think it offers something different from the 1095 varieties, which I like. 3V is an entirely different price category. A2 isn't exceptionally tough either, looking at data, but somehow it's "tough enough" in real use. Based on the data I've seen on toughness, I'm actually surprised at how low so many are based on anecdotes, but then seeing how amazingly tough 3V, 5160, AEB-L, and 52100 are in comparison. This leads me to to think that the tough steels can take a hell of a beating and the rest are "tough enough" for nearly any application if the knife is designed and used like a knife, even in rough uses. AKA, don't baton your 3mm thick endura, just because you can. Throwing knives is probably the exception where huge toughness numbers make a difference because the forces they experience are more random and less directed through the areas where knives are designed to be tough.

Back