1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lee Valley Hatchet

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Old Axeman, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Lee valley Tools has a new listed hatchet for those of you who dont want to rehab a historic one. They call it the Yankee Hatchet, # 65U15.20 and is only $26.50. They say it is forged in Germany with American Hickory handle. From the picture it looks good. Anybody have a report on this hatchet?

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I have no experience with it, but it looks like it may be made by helko.

3. Grimalkin

Grimalkin

Apr 7, 2015
    would be worth it to find out if it has a plastic wedge before purchase...

4. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Lee Valley says it's "forged in Germany by a family-run firm that has been making axes since 1919..." which sounds like a match for Adler.

5. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
  6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Yup--looks like a dead ringer for Adler to me. In which case you can expect crooked hangs with gaps in the eye. The initial samples I received were nice, and the steel and heat treatment are excellent, but when I placed an actual order with Adler the handle quality and the way they were hung was abysmal. Technically functional, but not salable.

7. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    If that's the case, then I'd just get a 17$ craftsman hatchet from sears ( American made by vaughan ) it may be a 1 day project when you get it, but the Steel is just fine.

8. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    The Adler heads were nice and had a visible temper line a good 2"+ into the bit, but the handles were really hit or miss. You were basically just buying the head with a "freebie" handle in it.

9. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    This might be off a little but the weight stamp makes me think of the "Made in West Germany" heads somewhat.

Here's the Adler:

[​IMG]

West German:

[​IMG]

FortyTwoBlades - Were the Adler's you handled marked in any other way besides the weight?

There are obvious shape differences, of course. The Adler looks much more refined but they are new production.

Since WECO was involved in imports from Japan and West Germany (as far as I know from my chair and the internet), I wonder if there is any reference to them dealing with Adler.

Your comment made me think of one I have:

[​IMG]

Just pre-coffee rambling.

10. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    The only marking on the heads was the weight--nothing else. All other marks were on the handles. I still have a few of the samples I received from 'em, including a small Yankee.

11. Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Sep 26, 2005
    I looked at one in the store and was far from impressed. Pics in the catalogue made it look much nicer. Bit was thin enough I suppose.