Lefty Time

Always love to see your threads and works, very beautiful holsters. Sorry for off topic question. Dave, did you ever made a filigree belt with floral or maybe sheridan carving? What is the most often used for background in this case, between two layers of leather? I saw turquoise and blue background it looks very good.

Thanks Maverick. I've not done any belts that way but have done several checkbooks. I used a contrasting, very thin, garment type leather and then the regular lining. So to do a belt I would want a fairly hefty top layer to carve well and to have body to stand up to the filigreeing, maybe 8 oz or so. Then a very light 2/3 oz contrasting color and then a 4 oz lining leather. If I was using a veg tan for the lining leather I'd maybe split the lining even a little thinner. Lots of cool colors out there. Here's a pic of a few of Nichole's purses at a show in July.

44clozf.jpg

That green is a glazed goatskin, very thin and comes in lots of colors. Nichole had a lady call her up a few years back and said she was going to the Superbowl so needed a purse in the Seattle Seahawks colors. This green was left over from that project.

Yeah, exactly! Very thin contrasting colour leather that's what I need for it. At the beginning I been thinking about atlas or satin ribbon with metallic gloss I like, but it is different material with leather and it wouldn't allow the belt to naturally stretch, I think.
Very nice purses
Thanks a lot for advice!

Last edited:
Ya bet if you're looking for metallic they make many leathers with a metallic finish. Very often used in rodeo chaps. Springfield has quite a few. Thanks.

I have a few questions as always. Your work is SO very different from mine - and I admire every bit of it.

1) How do you continue the wide border at the beginning and the end of the Carlos border. The pattern in the middle makes sense - but then you have a very wide portion that you put a few decorative stamps in as well.

2) Is that recycled leather for the closure straps on those top few holsters?

I NEED to try some stamped rough out - I never thought I would like that - but dammit - every time I see your work Dave - I love it!

Jason

Thanks Jason:

1) That pattern is a break and I will use it at the start and end of the channel. I also used it on this holster where the channel had to go around a corner or I'll use it sometimes on an abrupt curve too. The carlos stamp does not go around corners or abrupt curves very well. So I've gotten to where I will use that as a break. Its a small flower center with an arrowhead border. I probably could of gone around that section towards the bottom but just didn't. On that holster that top line of the muzzle end is cut for the individual gun if I have it or have access to one. Sometimes that curve will be more of a corner and so then the break is necessary. So in effect I'm dividing the channel into three sections. Along the top of the throat, down the long side, and then back across the muzzle end. Then I carlos border stamp in between the starts and stops and the breaks. Hope that makes sense.

2) Nope that leather is the water buffalo that I use on belts and some sheaths. I guess it is recycled in one respect in that the pieces I use for the holsters are left overs from cutting belt blanks. On the back of a Rangeflap holster there is a strap about 5" long by 5/8-3/4" wide. This strap is the second belt attachment for the holster. So the belt comes through the punched slot, behind the holster and through this strap on the back. The length of this strap is what allows the holster to be worn at different angles and different locations. I use water buffalo for these straps too. Besides being a great strap leather I like how the dark brown color contrasts with the color of the holster.

Roughout sells that's for sure, folks like it. Tooling it is the same. Years ago I even did some flower carving and oak leaf carving on roughout. On real detailed stuff like that it doesn't quite hold the detail as well, so pretty much I just stamp these days. But it certainly handles basket weave and border stamping for sure. Ya go to a big show and it makes your work unique cause the customer didn't see that at the last 5 booths they were in.

Very nice Dave, I've always joked that when I have to make a lefty sheath, I have to sit in front of a mirror, so I don't get it mixed up ;)
G2

thanks Gary. Making a pair of buffalo wooly chaps right now. For a moment yesterday I thought I'd cut out two righ legs on the wooly parts. Phew...didn't.

Dave,

That makes total sense. Thank you as always for taking the time. I would LOVE to visit your shop for a week and learn your ways. I would be labor for the honor. ;)

Jason

Anytime buddy! But sometimes I make knives too, or rope calves or start colts or.....

Back